Installing LibreElec on Amlogic S905X TV Box

• Please advice correct installation steps LibreElec on Amlogic S905X TV Box with Android. I want completely replace Android with LibreElec. Should I replace an existing Android bootloader with new U-boot bootloader, compiled specifically for LibreElec? Where to find it?

• Choose the build you want from here then follow the instructions

as per instructions, just install to sd or usb.

When you are completely happy, you have to ssh into the box, then run the command installtointernal some devices require you to do this twice

bear in mind, it would be best to backup/get a copy of your box's firmware, just in case you ever want to go back to android.

in my experience, installing to internal was no quicker than running from card

• With LibreElec installed on SD card, when box powered off, then power on: will it boot into the LibreElec or Android?

I just have no TV box yet, can't test anything.

Have anybody tried install on TV Box some lightweight Linux distribution like Knoppix or Puppy Linux, then install Kodi on top? How much space this requires?

• If you follow the instructions, if the microsd card is plugged in, it will boot to Libreelec, if you remove the card, it will boot to android.

If you install to sd card, there is an option in the (kodi) menu, to boot to internal, ie android.

You can install puppy, knoppix to a usb stick & run from that, IF the device will support that, you might then be able to install to the internal, not sure though.

As for installing a Linux distro & then kodi, I'm not sure there is much support for that now.

This YUMI - Multiboot USB Creator | USB Pen Drive Linux has several linux & other distros including XBMCbuntu

There is this TUTORIAL (S905/S905X/S912): How to install Armbian Linux – The MXQ Project

Running Linux From SD Card or USB Flash Drive - Using Balbes150 Method And Files. - FreakTab.com

Google might be a better bet for that.

Edited once, last by bubblegum57 (January 26, 2018 at 9:46 PM).

• The developer recommends run LibreElec build from SD card/USB drive, do not install it to internal memory as it might soft-brick TV box.

Does this related with bootloader, due to different bootloader is needed depending on the type of hardware configuration used? (RAM, ROM)

• I think all the developer is getting at, is you can run from sd, if you install to internal & then want to go back to android, you will need to reinstall the original firmware, which might not be easy.

If you do go ahead & install to internal, it will be on your on head.

I haven't heard of libreelec bricking a device

YOU MUST install to sd card/usb first, if that works, then you can install to internal.

You need the correct device tree which depends on the RAM & LAN size, if you do use the wrong device tree it just won't work.

But all you need to do in that case, just try a different device tree

• What's not fully clear is TV Box boot process and the Libreelec OS initiation: so Libreelec don't use boot loader like other Linux embedded devices do? (routers, modems, etc)

• Sirius Amlogic TV Boxes use u-boot as a bootloader.

Installing LE to Android TV Box means replacing kernel, and system image with LE. This process does not modify bootloader as is is impossible to provide single (or even a few) bootloader images that would fit all the boxes, mainly because of slight hardware differences, different DDR speed etc.

The only targets we provide bootloader are SBCs - for the moment Odroid-C2 and LePotato, possibly Khadas VIM in near future.

• So, when Android TV box boots with factory bootloader boots, u-boot first check the SD card presence, if SD card is present in slot, it loads system from SD card, if not, then it loads Android from eMMC.

Is it possible adjust ODROID-C2 Lirbeelec bootloader for another TV Box with similar configuration 2Gb RAM + ROM 16Gb?

For example, S905X based board with Memory - NANYA DDR3, 2Gb and Flash - SAMSUNG eMMC 16G

How many other parameters is required to compile new u-boot for target Amlogic S905X based board, in addition to RAM and Flash details?

Edited 2 times, last by Sirius (January 31, 2018 at 10:16 AM).