Sudo no available

• I can‘t say that I like this rock solid write protection.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the squashfs filesystem - LibreELEC is an "embedded" product and a read-only compressed image is the best and most convenient solution for distribution, and has nothing to do with "safety" although admittedly that is a secondary benefit.

Many config files can in fact be modified, but not all services support this so If you can explain what files you want to modify maybe more focused advice can be given.

Most of all I thought this SW was meant to be open to the community for fine tuning and experiments or did I get the wrong message?

There's nothing "closed" about LibreELEC, you just need to understand what it is and, perhaps more importantly, what it isn't.

• HiassofT

I see you do some HW work and found those traps laid out by so called unused pins.

Usually you take another one and change some config accordingly.

I have no problems in soldering or mechanical work which helps a lot.

I use a hifiberry dac+ which has a parallel 40 pin connector unsoldered in the layout. So you have access to every GPIO pin if you solder a connector on to the board ( and give up warranty).

The bad news about it is that the traces are extremely narrow so I used all GND and PWR pins in parallel. I really wonder what the layouter had in mind when he did this.

This way the system worked stable from the start. Sound quality is excellent.

The LCD is hooked up in 4-bit mode and ran after definition of the pins w/o problems.

LIRC needs to be set up still to work with some old remote. That’s where I expect some trial and error work in configs.

milhouse

You define LE as an embedded product sealed for the benefit of the user. It allows some predefined adaptions only or else the user will have to take questionable actions. At the same time you say it is an open system. How does that go together. Im afraid there are too many HW permutations to allow this strategy. You will most likely have to allow some access to handle such problems.

Thank you for the offer to help me for the next config steps. As I told above I need to know where and how to make entries to bring up LIRC with some old remote.

Thank you for coming back

Warp2

• IR remotes are really easy. Just add dtoverlay=gpio-ir to config.txt (you may need to add the gpio_pin parameter if you connect the IR receiver to some other GPIO than the default 18).

If you are using an MCE or one of a few other standard remotes then you are already finished.

If it's some other remote you may need to set up an ir-keytable configuration - see the wiki Infrared Remotes [LibreELEC.wiki]

And if it's a really odd remote with a non-standard IR protocol you may need to use userspace lircd instead - i.e. create a .config/lircd.conf file - and in LE 8.2 also enable lirc in LE settings.

Everything's on board already, no need to tinker.

so long,

Hias

• You define LE as an embedded product sealed for the benefit of the user.

That's not my definition. I said the system being read only is a secondary benefit - user safety is not the reason for shipping a read-only file system.

At the same time you say it is an open system.

The code is open source, but the file system we distribute is read-only, in much the same way as most embedded solutions are. This is not to stop users from tinkering, but because it's created as a compressed squashfs which is the easiest way to distribute a single binary image.

Im afraid there are too many HW permutations to allow this strategy. You will most likely have to allow some access to handle such problems.

HiassofT has outlined the solutions for you, which don't require any changes to the LibreELE read-only filesystem (by which I mean the root filesystem, not /flash which is made read/write with a simple mount command). The problems you think we face have already been solved.

• Sorry both of you for my delayed answer. There were urgent matters that kept me from working on my Raspi.

In the meantime I got a new 16G SD-Card and decided to make a new installation following the published documentation closely. This way I avoid all traps I might have layed out during my experimental detours.

I will stay in touch and report how things work out....

• Here is my final report and my conclusions.

1. Burning of the SD-card with the tool offered for download works absolutely perfect. The first boot and the setup of the basic system also works smooth and easy following the advice on the screen. Perfect

2. I used the addon for a 2x16 LCD. Installation and setup worked pretty straight forward, defaults for the display operation are fine for me. Perfect

3. I intended to use LIRC and there were no problems during the HW installation. A test with mode2 was positive.

However I wasted some time to get an old RC to work which failed 100%. I read a lot of information how to do it or how to troubleshoot but in the end nothing helped. There is one very annoying issue with such information in the net, very often it is hard to find out what HW and SW Rev. it refers to. So this becomes trial and error business and ssh + nano does not offer any comfort for that. Does not work for me.

4. Plan B for RC job was to use a smartphone app. I tried SYBU for iOS and this really works fine. LE now is a high quality system everybody can use. Perfect

Thanks a lot for this product