DVB T2 HD recordings do not play with aac 5.1 + stereo audio description channel

• I use the great Libreelec 8.2.2 on my Raspberry Pi 3 (tvheadend 4.2 server) and Odroid C2 (tvheadend client) with Sundtek MediaTV Digital Home III and DVB T2 HD in Germany. I <3 this. Thank you all who develop for this great platform!

My problem is the following: Whilst I can watch all programmes without any problem, I have problems when I record movies of ARD that are distributed with 2 channels, one with 5.1 AAC original track and a second 2.0 stereo track with audio description and play-back them again.

However it is no problem to watch the movie with live tv. But when I record such a movie and play it again, the picture freezes as soon as the movie starts after "Tagesschau". Only if I switch to the audio description channel, the movie is played. This problem occured tonight, when I tried to watch "Krügers Odyssee" from ARD from my recordings.

Why is there a difference between watching and playing-back? Is there another player used? Or is there a special goblin inside, if the movie is too funny?

Do you know how I can solve this problem? It occurs especially on ARD at the 20.15h movie on wednesdays and fridays.

Best regards,

Couchtomato

• Now I tried to play the recording (.mkv) with my vlc media player on my pc. The video plays, but the sound is not correct. I just hear some of the background channels of the 5.1 sound.

Here is the codec info of vlc media player:

Could the problem be related to tvheadend or to matroska container?

• After searching for matroska (.mkv) and tvheadend issues, I found the following discussion:

Missing audio in some recordings - Tvheadend

There seems to be a problem, when using matroska container when sound track switches from stereo 2.0 to multichannel 5.1.

Last night I tried a 5.1 recording ("The cut" on ARD) with the ts container format and everything works fine.

Solution: use TS instead of MKV for your recordings.

• Did a re-check with Libreelec 8.2.2 stable today instead of Libreelec alpha 8.9. The sound is crackling with the 8.2.2, even if I use TS format. So, both external articles are right - you need TS format (option "pass" in tvheadend) and ffmpeg 3.4.