HDMI connected TV only shows LibreELEC image

• Hi all,

Can any of you please help me in solving the HDMI output issue I have?

When connecting my htpc to my tv via HDMI I only get a LibreELEC image and am not able to specify HDMI as output destination for video within Kodi (I can select it for audio which is working fine), there are just two options (default & LVDS2).

Before bothering you I have done some thorough internet and forum searching (at least I gave it my best) but was unable to find a solution myself. While searching, experimenting and re-installing (to keep a clean system) I did collect a lot of information which might be of help (see the attached file).

One of the attempts to fix the issue I tried was executing instructions described in CustomEDID, unfortunately it did not help.

I am a complete noob to Linux, appart form a couple commands I don't know it at all.

As the system I'm using is not fit for Windows, it can run it but watching paint dry during the moesson season is way faster than the response of the system on Windows, and I want to learn Linux I chose LibreELEC.

I have installed LibreELEC (official): 8.2.2 on my HP Pavilion dv7 4040ed notebook which has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics card.

Hope you can help!

Cheers

• At a guess:

Bash
    cp /lib/udev/rules.d/97-xorg.rules /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/

In the copied file remove the line starting with DRIVER=="i915", and reboot.

• Hi mglae

Thank you very much for your help!

Unfortunately it did not solve the issue.

After performing you described change I got A start job is running for Xorg Server

After a short time I get:

[FAILED] Failed to start Sorg Server.

See 'systemctl status xorg.service' for details.

[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Fluxbox Window Manager.

[ OK ] Reached target Graphical INterface.

Starting intel switch to full range...

[ OK ] Started intel switch to full range.

Starting Kodi Media Center...

[ OK ] Started Kodi Media Center.

[ OK ] Reached target Kodie Mediacenter Interface.

That's it, no Kodi on the laptop screen and only a LibreELEC image on the TV.

After adding the removed line (see below) back to the file, but now as last entry the result stayed the same.

Once I restored the line to it's original location I was able to start Kodi and see the interface. Unfortunately without any option to select HDMI as video output.

I have attached the content of command 'systemctl status xorg.service' and file '97-xorg.rules'.

Also I added two foto's showing the result (notebook screen and TV)

The foto of the TV isn't showing the 4 colors of the image as I can see them, believe me the colors are there ;)

Code
    DRIVER=="i915", ENV{xorg_driver}="i915", TAG+="systemd", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}+="[email protected]"
  • The "failed to start Xorg" message indicates there are no Xorg graphics drivers that support that card in the OS image. It dates from 2009/10 which is probably just beyond the current drivers we use; AMD support for older cards isn't so great. The LE boot splash that you see is just the boot splash.

• Hi mglae ,

Thnx for the suggestion, this is however not possible.

chewitt

Thanks for the provided explanation.

I mentioned the splash screen to indicate the video adapter is recognized. Apparently not fully.

I'll try to install a minimalistic Linux distro, add an old(er) graphics card driver and then install KODI.
    Any suggestions perhaps on which Linux distro I could give a go for my old loyal HP?

Thank you all for helping me thus far:thumbup:

Have a great 2018!!