This is related to this thread and I opened this thread on @kszaq 's request. Other than in the aforementioned post, I believe the trouble is with the Sundtek driver and not with TvHeadend, since VDR can also not tune to a channel when using the (high quality and expensive) Sundtek stick, while both TvHeadend and VDR work just fine with the (cheap and ok quality) XBOX ONE Digital tuner.
I would like to mention that I have been using these Sundtek Sticks for almost 8 years now. They have been in heavy use during that time (often attached to a 24/7 headless VDR on a Dockstar and now a cubietruck). So, I would really love to be able to use them with the new toy - the china boxes.
To make this (somewhat) reproducible, here is what I did (on November 29th 2017 on a S905X 1GB/8GB EgoIggo
- created a fresh SD card with kszaq 's standard image
- used a dedicated device tree and remote.conf
- did the usual setup steps (including enabling SSH)
- installed addons from LibreELEC addons repo
- - Sundtek MediaTV (vers. 8.2.104)
- - TvHeadend Server 4.2 (vers. 8.2.112)
- - VDR PVR backend (vers. 8.2.105; this will automatically install VDR VNSI client (vers. 18.104.22.168))
- - TvHeadend HTSP client (vers. 22.214.171.124)
I then disabled VDR (backend and client) and also TvHeadend server in order to be able to copy over the respective configurations so as to be able to use them right away. Of course, I enabled debug logging in Kodi.
Then, I checked whether the Sundtek sticks were found (locally and over the network):
So, the sticks were visible the way they should be.
After copying over the configuration, I re-enabled TvHeadend server, headed over to the Web-If and attached the DVB-adapter to the DVB-C network and enabled it. Here, it can already be seen, that something is not quite right, because TvHeadend only sees the DVB-C part of the tuner, not the DVB-T part (on the left you can see the situation on the Wetek Play (as it should be) and to the left the situation on an AML S905X):
Then, I turned the box off, power-cycled and turned it back on. Then, I went to TV and tried to watch the first channel (not encrypted). This gave me a message form the TvHeadend HTSP Client saying "No free adapter available". I then stopped TvHeadend server via the command line.
Then, in for TvHeadend server, I activated TRACE Debug setting Debug Value #1 to "all" first and to "dvb" second and tried watching the channel again. This gave the following two debug.txt files: tvheadend_debug.zip
I would like to mention, that
- it does not make a difference whether the Sundtek stick is attached locally or accessed in network mode (i.e., attached to a different device, where it works perfectly well).
- the same issue arises on another S905X box as well as on a S905W box (which I sent back)
As GDPR-1 mentioned in the related thread I linked above, all this must be due to the 64bit kernel mixed with the 32bit user space.
Anything else I can do like provide similar info for devices where the Sundtek sticks work (Rpi3, Wetek Play) or test something specific on the china box, please let me know.