remote double button press

• Hi,

After upgrading to latest LibreElec 8.2.1 I get double button presses with my remote. Yes, I have read the release notes and noticed the changes with lirc but the lirc service already is disabled in the LibreElec-Services tab.

If lirc service is disabled in the settings what service is used for controlling the remote and how can I change the sensitivity for button presses?

Thanks

• What platform are you running LibreELEC on, what kind of IR receiver do you use and what kind of remote?

If you are using a logitech harmony remote reduce the number of command repeats in the harmony config software.

Most platforms now use IR decoding by the kernel, configured via ir-keytable. See the wiki page for details infrared_remotes [LibreELEC]

so long,

Hias

• Hi,

I'm running LibreELEC on x86_64 hardware. I do not use a logitech harmony but a X10 wireless remote (no infrared). Previously on linux I used the driver lirc_atiusb or atilibusb. Now the X10 remote is working on LibreELEC using devinput.

There are three processes for lirc running in the background (is that normal?):

Code
    301 root       0:00 /usr/sbin/eventlircd -f --evmap=/etc/eventlircd.d --socket=/run/lirc/lircd
    801 root       0:00 {kodi.sh} /bin/sh /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.sh --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd
    806 root       4:12 /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd

Interesting: I recognized that the double key press events disappear when I'm direct in front of the X10 receiver. The more far away I'm sitting to the X10 receiver the more double key presses I get. Usually I'm sitting around 3m away from the receiver and producing many double button events which was not happening before LibreELEC 8.2. Is there any way to tune this?

Thanks & best regards,

Alexander

• The processes you are seeing are normal. eventlircd is needed to translate the devinput event into lirc events for kodi.

As for your observations: this sounds a bit like you have wireless reception problems with the receiver - to weak signal or interference. Try to move the wireless remote receiver to some other location and also try replacing the batteries in your remote.

Other than that the ati_remote kernel module seems to have 2 parameters you could try playing with, repeat_filter and repeat_delay. Not sure what they actually do, just noticed these in modinfo

Code
    # modinfo ati_remote
    parm:           channel_mask:Bitmask of remote control channels to ignore (ulong)
    parm:           debug:Enable extra debug messages and information (int)
    parm:           repeat_filter:Repeat filter time, default = 60 msec (int)
    parm:           repeat_delay:Delay before sending repeats, default = 500 msec (int)
    parm:           mouse:Enable mouse device, default = yes (bool)

Create a /storage/.config/modprobe.d/atiremote.conf file like this:

Code
    options ati_remote repeat_filter=XXX repeat_delay=YYY

so long,

Hias

• Hi,

I have the same issues here. I am using an Intel NUC with integrated infrared MCE receiver. Since update to 8.2 the remote isn't usable anymore because all keypresses are doubled.

So I plugged in my old Hama Remote (Hama MCE Remote Control PC-Fernbedienung: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör) with external IR receiver. This remote works better but far away from perfect. When I press a button two or three times fast, it will be interpreted as a long press which will cause a great leap forward of the cursor. And often single keypresses are totally ignored. So I have to press the buttons carefully. In short: frustrating!

I'm a little bit upset because none of my remotes work properly anymore.

============================================================

Edit: RFTM.

After disabeling LIRC in the Services-Menu everything seems to work again now. Maybe LIRC should be disabled by default.

Edited once, last by Gag Halfrunt (December 5, 2017 at 9:27 PM).

• As for your observations: this sounds a bit like you have wireless reception problems with the receiver - to weak signal or interference. Try to move the wireless remote receiver to some other location and also try replacing the batteries in your remote.

I have fixed the location of the remote receiver inside my case. Replacing batteries did not change anything.

Other than that the ati_remote kernel module seems to have 2 parameters you could try playing with, repeat_filter and repeat_delay. Not sure what they actually do, just noticed these in modinfo

Code
    # modinfo ati_remote
    parm:           channel_mask:Bitmask of remote control channels to ignore (ulong)
    parm:           debug:Enable extra debug messages and information (int)
    parm:           repeat_filter:Repeat filter time, default = 60 msec (int)
    parm:           repeat_delay:Delay before sending repeats, default = 500 msec (int)
    parm:           mouse:Enable mouse device, default = yes (bool)

Create a /storage/.config/modprobe.d/atiremote.conf file like this:

Code
    options ati_remote repeat_filter=XXX repeat_delay=YYY

That is, what I was looking for! Thanks! :thumbup:

I'm not sure if I've understood the options properly, so please correct me:

repeat_delay: this is the delay how long I have to press a button before a repeat is detected. Shorter values could lead to double button press when pressing a button for a short time. With larger values I have to keep pressing longer on that button before it is detected as a double button press.

repeat_filter: when pressing a button for a long time ( > repeat_delay; like scrolling down a list) and a repeat is detected, every X msec an action for this button is executed. So you can increase or decrease the amount of actions executed while pressing a button for a longer time.

Am I right?

What I still not understand is which module I'm using for my remote.

lsmod shows me these loaded modules for remotes:

Code
    rc_medion_x10          16384  0
    ati_remote             20480  0
    rc_core                24576  8 dvb_usb_dvbsky,rc_medion_x10,ati_remote,rc_dvbsky,dvb_usb_v2,nuvoton_cir

My remote is a wireless (no infrared) X10, which was sold by medion and ati too.

Fernbedienung - USB X10 – VDR Wiki

Both drivers are loaded (maybe both needed?). lirc debug detects key presses on general device devinput.

However, I get good results with /storage/.config/modprobe.d/atiremote.conf

Code
    options ati_remote repeat_filter=120 repeat_delay=1000 mouse=no

Maybe this or similar settings for this remote kernel module should be distributed by default in LibreELEC if other users using the same module and can eliminate their double presses too?

Best regards,

Alexander

• ati_remote is the driver responsible for handling your RF receiver. rc_core is the base remote driver and rc_medion_x10 the keymap for your remote.

I'm not really familiar with the ati_remote driver, one thing that's a bit puzzling is that it has a repeat_delay option - usually that's handled by the input layer (you can configure delay and period eg via ir-keytable). Not sure at all what the repeat_filter option is for.

I still suspect the core issue is bad RF reception. Mounting a receiver inside a case isn't ideal - I even had problems with a Logitech unifying receiver if it was plugged into the back of a PC (and the whole metal case shielding off quite some of the RF signals from my K400 keyboard)., Plugging it into a front USB port made a huge difference.

so long,

Hias