migrating from OpenElec 3.2.4 on Acer Aspire R3600

• Hello everyone, I'm an old OpenElec user, running 3.2.4 on an Acer Aspire R3600.

I'm considering migrating to LibreElec but have a few questions. I have read the wiki but the portion that discusses migrating from OpenElec is quite limited. I have seen the video as well.

* Can I keep my media on the drive as is? (I'd rather not have to move the media off to a different drive if I don't have to.) If I have to install from new, do I move the media off and then back on again?

* I'm a bit unclear on updating. I understand how to make the SD/USB updater. The wiki says: "There is a possibility however, that migration from OpenELEC to LibreELEC will not work because of a smaller sized system partition in OpenELEC." Do we know if my older OpenElec has the smaller sized partition? If I have to start with a new install, that's fine, I'd rather know that first vs. trying to update and then fail.

Thanks in advance

• From downloads – LibreELEC

Manual Update / Migration from OpenELEC (.tar)

LibreELEC update files are compatible with OpenELEC. To migrate transfer the manual update file over to /storage/.update/ or the “Updates” samba share before rebooting to start the update process:

LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.2.1.tar (info)

That is assuming Acer Aspire R3600 is intel? if not select the correct tar from the drop down on the downloads page

I did this some time ago, it worked ok for me, no need to use the image burning tool.

• Do we know if my older OpenElec has the smaller sized partition?

login via SSH and have a look at parted -l

this should display your partition size, df -h | grep /flash may work too

normally it just updates the files, nothing more - an update from an that old version to a new one is rather risky - could work, or not

I would export my lib (if it is necessary) and do a clean install.

If the files at your disk are too big to easily move them and your boot partition is too small you can also start with an gparted live boot usb stick, increase the boot partition (this will take some time).

If you want to start from scratch but want to keep the videos at your drive then you basically just need to delete /storage/.config , /storage/.cache and /storage/.xbmc folder and replace the SYSTEM and KERNEL file at /flash with the LE ones.