QNAP share mount from Linux (not Kodi) fails after upgrade to 8.2.1

• Hello,

Before updating to V8.2.1 I wanteds to backup all configuration data and thus needed to mount a sharte from my QNAP NAS for this purpose. I have created a storage-nas1.mount file in V8.0.1 which failed with permission denied. After adding the sec=ntlm option togetheer with the username and password, th emount worked fine.

The *.mount file resulted in the following mount command executed at bot:

Code
    /usr/bin/mount //10.1.11.1/kodi /storage/nas1 -t cifs -o username=myuser,password=mypassword,sec=ntlm

After the upgrade to V8.2.1 I noticed that the share was not mounted anymore. Checkling the systemctl status confirmed that it failed. It also confirmed that the exact same command as in V8.0.1 is generated but fails with status 255. Testing the commad in ssh returns a "permission denied" error. The log file on QNAP also shows login failure which was the exact same error as with V8.0.1 before I added the sec=ntlm option.

I have tried number of othe rsec options like ntlmv2, or drop th eoption, ... with no success

Code
    /usr/bin/mount //10.1.11.1/kodi /storage/nas1 -t cifs -o username=myuser,password=mypassword,sec=ntlm
    mount: mounting //10.1.11.1/kodi on /storage/nas1 failed: Permission denied

P.S.: No changes were done to the QNAP user or share but I have to say that the QNAP firmware was updated (minor update) today as well. However I do have a second RPi3 which is still running LibreElec V8.0.1 and has the same mount file as the one which now runs V8.2.1 (the file was copied over via scp), and that one still mounts the share with no problem during reboot. So the "issue" (or changed behavior) should be on the LibreElec side.

• Thanks for your replies.

CvH: I know that information pretty werll, but thanks anyway

chewitt: Yeah, that's weired. I tzhink I tried every version but 1.0, and you are absolutely right about the ntlm requzirement, Th eweird thing is that Qnap is set to support SMB 3.0. It can be forced tro use ntlmssp but this option is not set (but that would be the otehr way aroud anyway). I have no idea why I have to force version 1.0 of SMB with ntlm

But at least it works, and NTLM is OK for that environment, but I would like to understand why and how I could get the better protocols to work