HFS+ solution?

• Hi there,

Is there a good solution for stopping LibreELEC from "corrupting" an HFS+ partition and force it to mount read-only? (except formatting to exFAT or EXT4)

What I noticed is that the partition only gets corrupted after a reboot and will be then mounted read-only.

Issuing an fsck.hfsplus -f on the partition then a reboot actually fixes the problem and the partition gets mounted with rw flag

I remember reading somewhere that the problem arises due to the fact that partitions aren't automatically unmounted before a reboot. A user suggested adding a script that would unmount the partitions before a restart.

Wouldn't that be a good solution to add to future releases, or is that too risky?

Thank you!

• You're in the wrong place, LibreELEC is just a distribution. The filesystem code is in the kernel, the LE devs do not write kernel code.

As for HFS+, it's only properly supported with journaling turned off. If you need cross platform R/W go with exFAT or UDF.

• Over time we have experimented with various "solutions" for HFS+ drives and the long story short is that none of them work sensibly or reliably over a large userbase. HFS+ and Linux are not a good combination; exFAT is ideal if you need something truly cross-platform. If it is local use only on the HTPC device, use EXT4.

• Ok, I see, thank you for the answers!

I actually created an EXT4 partition for local use and kept the HFS+ one for stuff I need to access when connecting the drive to my Mac.

exFAT seems really slow on macOS, so I'd rather not use it.

Do you think it's safe to keep using fsck.hfsplus on the partition from within LibreELEC whenever it gets mounted as read-only? (I'm not using it that often.)

Thank you!