Support for Apple MagicTrackpad

• It seems LibreElec is lacking support for Apple MagicTrackpad (the external bluetooth device, first generation; maybe also the current one). The bluetooth pairing of the device seems to work fine, but no /dev/input/mouse device is created. It seems LibreElec is lacking a hid module `hid-magicmouse`. On my Retropie I see:

/lib/modules/4.9.35+/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-magicmouse.ko

While on LibreElec there is no such module:

Code
    MediaPi:~ # find /lib/ -name "*magic*"
    MediaPi:~ #

I guess it might just a matter of enabling this module in the kernel configuration...

This is with LibreElec 4.2

• I haven't compiled kernels anymore for years, but yes, sounds reasonable.

This probably applies to a lot of other modules as well. If I look at my Retropie I see quite a bunch of hid modules. Another Apple amongst them, needed to switch default between function and media keys. Might make sense to be more generous with input devices :)

• I'm using the Apple wireless BT Keyboard+Trackpad combo, 1st generation.

I perfectly understand your point. On the other hand, this is not about exotic large scale SCSI tapedrives or programmable calculators, but about pretty common input devices. If a user wants to use his/her favorite input device with LE and first has to debug, write to the forum and then wait for the next release (in the best case, or give up somewhere on the way), that's not the best user experience ;)

Besides devices that don't work at all, like the Apple trackpad, I'm thinking esp. about all those multimedia keyboards with special keys people might like to use. And if I look at my kernel modules hid folder, it's 1,6M in total. There might be some really obscure stuff which could still be left out, but there is also generic things like hid-logitech, -microsoft, -apple, -cherry etc. To me the cost seems bearable, if more user input devices then "just work".

Fun fact: on my first try to submit I got the error:

The message contains censored words: sci entific.

(had to add a space here)

:D