irrecord troubles

• I am getting tired of this now!

If I record 1-2 keys I can terminate irrecord by presseng "enter" and it writes a .conf file for me. However, after I go through all 45 keys and press "enter" as instructed it sits there looking at me uniti I control-c out of it. This is about the 20th time going through 45 buttons.

If I rename the tmp file that does get written after control-c the file does not get read by LIRC, so I have no remote.

Milhouse 0717 and a few earlier versions since the new LIRC. LIRC 0.9.4, kernel 4.6.3

I did get it to work in "raw"(-f) 1 time, but one of the keys was corrupted.

What am I doing wrong; I'm getting carpal tunnel from this! (really).

While I'm here; what is the correct form for irrecord -u? I can't seem t6o make it work either.

Thank you all for your work!

Edited once, last by donbrew (July 19, 2016 at 11:29 PM).

• OK, I'm the only one!

My solution was to start a copy of libreELEC 7.90.02 and use its irrecord 0.9.1 worked perfectly.

irrecord in lirc 0.9.4 evidently doesn't work on my RPi 1 B.

There is an update to 0.9.4 it is 0.9.4a, I wonder if that is the trouble. I couldn't figure out how to update it.

And, all of the tutorials are now factually wrong now. Now you don't need to specify the driver, it is default to /dev/lirc0. The format is "irrecord lircd.conf". You may need to rename the output file to "lircd.conf" then move it from /storage to /storage/.config.

Edited once, last by donbrew (July 20, 2016 at 2:32 AM).

• Still a problem with Milhouse #719 and with LE 7.90.003.

I had a remote working fine except for limitations of the remote in 7.90.002. I downloaded and fresh installed to a new SD card, copied the lircd.conf and the config.txt to it. Now the enter key does nothing even renamed "select" or "enter" The "up & down" keys need spaces between them before they will repeat (that is important because of the aforementioned limitations of the remote). I have given up on the new irrecord, that's why I did not "upgrade" the 7.90.002 install to 7.90.003.

I have not tried this new remote in milhouse build yet. I might try with today's build.

I was just trying to figure out which to blame for the bad news lirc, libreelec or Kodi. Does not matter who is responsible, just who to complain to.

I sure wish that people who write "how-to" would update themselves. All of the lirc/irrecord tutorials ar for versions in the wayback machine, the option flags are not even right. End of that pet peeve.

Edited once, last by donbrew (July 21, 2016 at 5:02 PM).

• Official Post

You are aware that you are using alpha builds right?

We have updated lirc as we were on an old version, we do it now because we are in an alpha period. We have work out a few lirc bugs already.

Sorry it's not working properly for you yet. Milhouse builds have more fixes that aren't present in 7.90.003.

• Yes, aware that it is Alpha. But, I thought lirc was a completely different module from a different dev that seems to be broken. I thought the dev might want to investigate.

FWIW; irrecord 0.9.4 just doesn't work right; 0.9.1 works perfectly. Tried with different remotes. Lirc itself seems OK, except that the old tuts are wrong.

The good news is the lircd.conf produced by an earlier version works well.

• As posted on the kodi forum we need more info from you:

Could you post some more details? What kind of IR receiver and remote are you using? How did you start irrecord? What did irrecord show at the start (you should see something like "Using driver default on device /dev/lirc0")?

I've just tested with build 0719 on a RPi1, recorded some 20 keys of my Hauppauge remote using lirc_rpi and it worked fine. irrecord started with "irrecord --device /dev/lirc0 --driver default"

It would also help if you uploaded the working lircd.conf file generated by 0.9.0 irrecord and the non-working one generated by 0.9.4 irrecord - plus the info which remote was used.

so long,

Hias