ICY BOX IB-3662U3 USB case with 2 drives, only 1 visible

• Hi all,

I have this case with 2 Seagate drives but only one of them appears in LibreELEC. Weeks ago I had for some days a Raspbian on my Raspi3 and both drives were mounted, unfortunately with 1.42.6-5644 and 1.42.6-56441 as directory, the second drive has the same name but an additional 1 at the end. But I don't know if this is the real cause because I find under /var/media only the first mount of the left drive. Maybe it's a wrong driver for the USB-SATA bridge chip in this case. I'm new to LibreELEC but not to Linux itself, therefore I don't know how is the normal approach? Is this a feature request? How can I provide more logs, /var/log is nearly empty?

Would it be possible to bring both drives up an running?

Thanks and regards

Steffen

• From a little Googling there is sh1t firmware in the USB > SATA controller, see: The Pains of Storage – Random Thoughts

If you have access to a Windows box there is a firmware update on the Prolific website for the PL-2773 chipset: PL-2773 USB3.0 / eSATAII to SATAII Bridge Controller | Prolific USA

On a pi device we're using a kernel that is basically derived from the same sources that Raspian uses, so how it worked there I can't explain.

• Hi chewitt,

First thanks for your support and your time. I have done this update of firmware like described but the situation was more worse afterwards, I could only see the first drive under every OS (Windows 10, Ubuntu 17.04, Pi) and with lots of errors in the logs. Fortunately I made a backup of the old firmware of Icy Box and restored it, now I have both drives again.

After I checked both drives with Ubuntu 17.04 (amd64 Virtual Machine) I remembered that the situation the case was running fine with my Pi months ago was with Ubuntu and not Raspbian. Sorry that was my mistake. Therefore I took a second SD card and installed the current version of Ubuntu Mate for Pi and it worked again, but as you can see on the first attached picture. /dev/sda and /dev/sdb will be mounted with the same device names but under different mount points. Afterwards I tried LibreELEC again and found also both devices under Filesystem and two times the mount 1.42.6-5644 like in Ubuntu. But when I would add this directory to the bibliothek I always can go in the first drive with "filme" and never in the second drive.

It seems that only this last differentation between the drives will be missed. Could I mount sda and sdb manually in LibreELEC or do you have a better idea for me?

Best regards

Steffen