S905 Deinterlacing Issues

• To keep everything together in one thread.

A number of us have experienced juddering/issues with deinterlacing of H264 1080i50 content using the HW decoder. Especially with high motion content - sports etc, and with brighter colours.

I believe this has also happened for me with MPEG2 1080i50 content also, but I don't have any to test right now.

Yuri666 suggested the following to fix the issue which seems to work for me

Code
    echo 1 > /sys/module/di/parameters/bypass_all

noggin commented

I'm sure others have posted this but with 7.02.007 on a 1G/8G MiniMX (S905) there are odd issues with 1080i H264.

I'm playing a BBC One HD off-air DVB-S2 recording which is H264 (MBAFF) with 1080i25 (aka 1080/50i) motion and output at 1080p50 (aka 1080/50p). It looks to me like the chroma is being deinterlaced to 25p not 50p, though the luminance is being deinterlaced to 50p, either that or the chroma and luma are offset.

Saturated areas of colour on an interlaced source judder with this build.

Everything looks fine on material shot 25p (drama, documentary etc.) but fast motion interlaced content shows the issue.

Some sample footage of some boxing - ran-Boxen_-WM-Kampf-J_rgen-Br_hmer-vs.-Nathan-Cleverly_2016-10-01_21-40.ts - Google Drive

Very obvious to see around the red shorts.

Using the fix suggested by Yuri666 seems to make things work correctly.

I can try and provide some more sample footage if needed.

Edited once, last by ant_thomas (October 2, 2016 at 12:33 PM).

• Agreed @Yuri666's suggestion.

Adding it to autostart.sh will temporarily fix the issue:

Code
    echo 1 > /sys/module/di/parameters/bypass_all

Thx. ;)

Edited once, last by wrxtasy (October 2, 2016 at 8:46 PM).

• This is not a deinterlacing issue, but container issue.

I tried to remux this .ts video to mkv with mkvtoolnix, and the stuttering ceased.
    Same happens with mpeg2 576i25 content and DVD ISO files with hw decoding.

Test files

• This is not a deinterlacing issue, but container issue.

I tried to remux this .ts video to mkv with mkvtoolnix, and the stuttering ceased.
    Same happens with mpeg2 576i25 content and DVD ISO files with hw decoding.

Test files

Interesting, when I get chance I'll see if telling TVHeadend to send the stream as an MKV makes a difference. Either way the "fix" above works for TS.