Various migration questions

• Hi, all,

I'm currently running OpenELEC 6 which is getting very long in the tooth (Kodi 15) and I see that OE7 which was released two months ago still only has Kodi 16 on board an there's no sign of a new release being planned soon. Since Kodi 17 handles HEVC on my RPi3 better than Kodi 16 (and Kodi 15 can't play it at all without a 50% frame drop) LibreELEC is beginning to look better and better by the minute!!

However, I've spent weeks and months on customizing my current OE installation to the point where I like it. From installing a ton of add-ons which make life at the command prompt more bearable to the Xonfluence skin and a bunch of visualizations that I really like.

I've stuck an out-of-the-box LE8 install into my Raspberry Pi 3 and played with it a little, and it works well, but I really don't like the default skin (no offense, just personal taste!) and I don't see a lot of add-ons being available right off the bad. Maybe I didn't look properly or the new user interface just confuses me, but I'm not confident at this point that everything I used to have available at my fingertips with OE is also going to be there or me when I switch to LE. Also, I don't really have the time at this point in my life to spend hours on customizing an out-of-the-box LE installation to the point where I like it.

So. Questions at this point:

1. If I migrate from OE to LE by upgrading my existing OE6 with the latest LE upgrade (as per the wiki instructions) will all my customizations (Xonfluence skin, visualizations, add-ons etc.) still be there and working?

2. Does LE use the same repo's as OE does?

3. Do the add-ons I've installed on OE also work on LE?

4. Is there a way to take a backup ZIP file made with the Backup add-on and restore that onto an out-of-the-box LE installation to recover all my customizations? (This from the standpoint that with major version upgrades a fresh installation is usually recommended over an upgrade.)

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tnx!

// FvW

Edited once, last by vpeter (April 7, 2017 at 12:57 PM).

• Hi (me again),

Lots of Jarvis addons *should be* Krypton compatible as well. There is always the odd outsider.

LE uses the common Kodi repository and has some tools/add-ons rebuilt for Krypton.

LE and OE do not differ for add-ons, as both are running Kodi. OE however is still running Jarvis, not Krypton.

I never used that specific Backup add-on, I always used the built-in Backup/Restore tool in the settings add-on.
    There is always the option to create an image of the SD card via Win32diskimager..

• Lots of Jarvis addons *should be* Krypton compatible as well. There is always the odd outsider.
    LE uses the common Kodi repository and has some tools/add-ons rebuilt for Krypton.
    LE and OE do not differ for add-ons, as both are running Kodi. OE however is still running Jarvis, not Krypton.
    I never used that specific Backup add-on, I always used the built-in Backup/Restore tool in the settings add-on.
    There is always the option to create an image of the SD card via Win32diskimager..

OK. I'm going to try it this weekend. The advantage of the backup add-on is that you can schedule it on a regular basis and write to a networked device or cloud storage. But for migration purposes the internal backup option is probably the way to go.

I'm hoping that after the migration I'll still have Xonfluence. From what I see it will run on Krypton, so holding thumbs. (The fact that OE is still sitting on Jarvis and there's no sign of any progress there soon is my reason for ditching OE in favor of LE.)

Thanks!

// FvW

• I'm hoping that after the migration I'll still have Xonfluence. From what I see it will run on Krypton, so holding thumbs.

Switch to confluence before you run the upgrade. Otherwise xonfluence will be disabled due to the version being incompatible with krypton - only a nuisance but an avoidable one.
    If you're in confluence then on booting to krypton the skin will change to estuary, Helly's repo will update , xonfluence will update and you can switch back to it.

• I don't see Xonfluence in the current list of skins for Krypton in the Kodi repo. But, it could still work...

It's not part of the standard repo but a separate one (helliyrepo.kodi).
    [hr]

Switch to confluence before you run the upgrade. Otherwise xonfluence will be disabled due to the version being incompatible with krypton - only a nuisance but an avoidable one.
    If you're in confluence then on booting to krypton the skin will change to estuary, Helly's repo will update , xonfluence will update and you can switch back to it.

Thanks - I'll do that when I actually get that far. Right now migrating doesn't seem to work at all. Will discuss that in a separate thread.

Edited once, last by frankvw (April 8, 2017 at 2:10 PM).