Posts by Kendalbeefcake

Hello. Anyone tried to do a SD card install on an Apollo Lake NUC? I tried, and I can get the NUC to boot from the USB installation device, and do the actual installation on the SD card, but when I try to reboot to the SD card it fails with a message that looks like this

Error mount_flash: common error: unable to mount File label=System

Or something like that...

I finally gave up and got it installed on a second USB stick... and it works.... but I can't get it to boot on the SD card. Any idea? I would really like to use an SD card installation...

Thanks

Yup, had exactly the same problem. In the end I installed LE directly on my SATA disk..

It looks like the S/PDIF output might do what you want if you want to use that for now, but it won't fix your problem really as you won't be able to have DTS-HD and TrueHD over S/PDIF.

I don't know if the kernel module will enable HDMI audio or not (or if it's even possible to build the kernel module for LE).

Thanks lrusak, in this case I'm lucky in that the NUC6CAYS/NUC6CAYH has an optical S/PDIF built in, and I can also do HDMI passthrough from the telly back to the AMP via S/PDIF. I did try all combinations of the HDMI out and couldn't get a signal on the AMP. So it seems I'm stuck with DTS/Dolby Digital for now, unless I fancy upgrading my old, but still very good Onkyo for $$$$..

Thanks again

K.

Pulseaudio won't do you anything if alsa isn't working, so don't bother with that.

Can you get me a kodi debug log when you have everything connected and powered on.

Edit: looks like we might need this Porting the DisplayLink Ubuntu driver to other Linux distributions – DisplayLink Support

Thanks for looking into it so quickly, think I have everything relevant in here, let me know if not..

Hi,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, as it falls into a few camps and I suspect overlaps with this thread: thread-248-page-2.html

I have a NUC6CAYS which supports HDMI2.0 to give me 4K@60hz. However, my Onkyo Amplifier "only" supports HDMI 1.4. This means with the single HDMI port on my NUC I have to choose between 4k@60z OR high-resolution audio (DTS Master Audio etc.)

I just so happen to have a Plugable USB3 to HDMI converter laying around, and hoped it might give me an option to add a second HDMI port just for the audio. After some fiddling, I managed to get this working on Windows 10 (but only if screen mirroring was enabled). However, on the same box I cannot get it to output to the adaptor under LibreElec 8.0.0.0 ALSA can see the HDMI port, but I get nothing on the output both in pass-through and direct mode

For those interested, this is the adaptor:

Plugable USB 3.0 Dual Display Adapter for Multiple Monitors with Gigabit Ethernet | Plugable

And has this chipset:

DisplayLink DL-3000 Series

I think PulseAudio _might_ help but don't want to spend hours fruitlessly fiddling with it if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks in advance!

I use wired on the Nuc6cays no issues here have you checked it's enabled in the libreelec Addon? turn off wifi in there and enable wired connection see if that works
    Also can I ask if your menus are totally smooth as mine are slightly stuttery

An update: I took the NUC out of legacy BIOS mode and put it back to UEFI; performance seems OK. Unfortunately forced me to blat the hard disk and start again, but it's usuable now..

Just as an update, I finally updated my system to Fritsch's 8.0.0.0 Generic build with HEVC 10 bit support.

My J3355B handles 10 bit HEVC flawlessly.

I initially thought that it was stuttering on jellyfish-400-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv, but then i realised that the file was just buffering because it's a 1.4GB file that last a few seconds. So I paused for a second to let the cache fill up, let it play and it was flawless. CPU averaged about 20%.

That's very impressive from a passively cooled $55 SoC that I threw into a ten year old desktop chassis & PSU with a seven year old laptops RAM.

Hi, That's great to hear; however my nuc6cays (J3455) seems to be running the same clip in software (indeed all four cores are maxed out, and stutters a great deal). Can confirm whether you are using the "standard" build or one of the nightlies/something someone else have compiled? I've also applied the latest firmwares using a windows image.

Thanks in advance!

I just bought a Nuc6cayh, 8GB of ram & an SSD.

Installed LE 8.0 this afternoon, this evening wife and I have just finished watching a 1080p 60hz movie encoded in 10bit x265 with 5.1 surround sound.

She has no idea that I've upgraded the media pc, everything worked flawlessly.

I have NUC6CAYS; out of interest did you install LE on the SSD, a USB stick? Reason I ask is that could not get LE to finish bootup when installed to USB..

Hi,

I have the same, for some reason unless "Linux" is set in the BIOS as the OS, it runs like a dog. Set to Linux, works fine. I don't have an explanation on what difference this actually makes. Admittedly, I've not tested everything but it was unusable without it.

Ta

KendalBeefcake