Posts by yatoya

This will help you.

[HOWTO + FAQ] Install community builds on S905/S905D/S905W/S905X/S912 device

My original TX5 PRO remote works like sh*** with all new Leia builds. Lag after pushing a button on a remote is huge.

I'm sorry but configuring own remote is just to complicated to me and the LE9.0 remote configs ir-keytable Amlogic devices tutorial does not help. It makes no sense to me. What does "After finishing your file it must be saved in /storage/.config/rc_keymaps/YOURMAPNAME"?

What file? How do I create it, in what format? Also one link with keycodes is dead.

Can someone please share working TANIX TX5 PRO remote that does not lag?

No, there is no chance to fix it in every special case.

I´m lucky - my hardware has no issue

I can assure you this is not hardware related and your box does have this issue. You just don't see it :)

I'm sorry but that's the truth. Most users are happy they can use LibreELEC and they don't see any stuttering because this is not relevant to them.

Users with more sensitive eye, you just have to accept it.

Hey GDPR-2 . I'm having a conversation with users having subtitles stutter issue. Issue that has been moved on this forum couple of times: Dropped frames caused by subtitle rendering

The problem was supposedly to be solved in Leia but it isn't. Do you you have any information regarding this issue? This is definitely some sort of bug linked with Amlogic devices because it occurs only there. There are no stutters on PC and Android version.

I know it's problematic because logs doesn't show anything. I have partially solved it with settings but some users still have it.

User MichelLoyen has this problem in all videos. He writes about it here.

Maybe you could look at this issue once again, when it suites you of course and reproduce it?

MichelLoyen

From what I remember Kodi for Android shipped with my box (Marshmallow) was unable to switch refresh rate to match video. I'm sure it was Android's fault but Android for your box can be better optimized. It's worth giving a try.

You have 120 Hz TV so this option might not be important for you. And I'm pretty sure it's free form subtitles stutter issue.

Developers said that it will be fixed in Kodi Leia but at the moment it's still there and I have a feeling it will stay that way.

The other problem is the chip of your box. S912 is problematic. Most people experiencing subtitles stutter have S912 box. Mine is S905X and I had this problem too.

There are occasionally frame drops every now and then but only when displaying first line of subtitles. After that it plays smooth as butter.

I will test Kodi Leia when the beta is out. Even now at alpha stage the GUI is much more responsive.

Android supposedly handles HDR quite well. Test it :)

This is not confined to Terminator 2, it's in all movies when external subtitles are enabled.

Reinstall LibreELEC by pushing .tar and the right dtb files into Update folder and restart the box.

This inability to change subs color and size is weird. Running it from internal makes no difference besides speed.

I was struggling with subtitles stuttering for weeks so I really understand how annoying that is. No one knows why some users have it and some don't.

If your problem won't be solved change box for something that has manufacturer support like Wetek or Xtreamer. They use Kodi as well.

All those cheap Chinese boxes are hit-or-miss devices. They work OK if you're lucky. And let's not forget they'd be complete trash without support of developers on this forum so a BIG thanks to them!

One more thing... Have you tried different HDMI cable? There were cases where low quality HDMI cable was causing a number of problems with playback.

Do the reinstallation anyway to fix color/size of the subs. It might fix the rest of problems as well.

I've tested both your methods but the microstutter is still there.

Both methods are for 60 Hz panel TV's.

I don't own a 120 Hz TV but in theory you should disable Adjust display refresh rate to match video and you can try turn on and off the Sync playback to display and check the results.

There could be problem with particularly Terminator 2 subtitles. Does it have some untypical subtitles (font)? Did you try different subtitles in different format like srt?

How many stutters do you see by the way? Are there more more stutters after the 1h30m mark or just this one and after that movie plays smooth?

If you go directly to chapter where to this scene to check the stutter it will always be there because Kodi 17 and 18 needs to buffer subtitles in order to view it. At least in Kodi for Amlogic devices.

Try to play this scene one more time, then rewind the movie 10 second back or more and wait for the scene one more time. There should be no dropped frame this time.

It's definitely a bug. For some reason Amlogic hardware has problem with it in new Kodi versions.

If the problem persists try LibreELEC Jarvis [here]. It's free from this bug but Krypton handles the HDR videos and Jarvis not.

These settings reduced dropped frames issue to minimum.

Settings for S905X box with Krypton build and 50/60 Hz panel TV.

No audio passthrough.

It should also work with future Leia builds.

I assume all TVs have regular 24p mode (so called Cinema Mode).

Method 1

System settings -> Display

- Resolution: 1080p

- Refresh rate: 50 Hz / 60 Hz

Player settings -> Videos

- Adjust display refresh rate to match video: always or Start/stop (LibreELEC will automatically switch TV to 24p mode)

- Sync playback to display: yes (compensates the FPS/Hz differences). Enable it only if you're experiencing subtitles frame drops.

Method 2

System settings -> Display

- Resolution: 1080p

- Refresh rate: 50 Hz (why 50 and not 60 is explained later)

Player settings -> Videos

- Adjust display refresh rate to match video: never

- Sync playback to display: yes (mandatory)

The reason for judder is framerate most movies are shot. It's precisely 23.976 fps (24 fps in round figures).

For judder free playback the 24 fps must divide into refresh rate of your TV.

60 Hz panels are problematic in this regard because 2x24=48 and 3x24=72. Not even close to 60.

Closest to 48 is 50 Hz setting. That is why we set 50 Hz in LibreELEC display settings.

Disable Adjust display refresh rate to match video. Set it to never.

Sync playback to display will help to compensate the 48≠50 difference. Playback will be smooth but 4% faster than normal. It looks kinda funny at first.

You need to adjust audio delay after that.

If you own true and properly set 120 Hz panel TV there will no dropped frames or 4% faster playback. Just TRUE cinema experience. 120Hz/24fps=5. Perfect. It can't be any better.

Many companies are advertising their TVs as 120 Hz but this crucial parameter is often misleading and may mean that in reality the panel is 60 Hz and the 120 Hz is achieved with enhancement method.

You can check what panel your TV really has on manufacturer specification page. You can be surprised...

Those who own 60 Hz or kind of 120 Hz false panel can:

a) turn TVs motion enhancement off and use Method 1 or 2

b) disable Adjust display refresh rate to match video and sync playback to display in LibreELEC and enable motion enhancement in TV.

Sometimes they are doing good job and sometimes they can make it worse (soap opera effect).

Anyway, best results in LibreELEC will be achieved with 50 Hz setting.