Posts by Stige

There is really no reason to go for RPI these days considering how cheap the S905X boxes are and they do a LOT more than RPI ever will.

So buy a S905X box from Ebay for 8€ and call it a day!

I was also at same point a while back, then I first stumbled upon ODroid aswell but finally found out about S905X platform, they did cost a bit more back then, like 30-40€ but they are a steal these days.

Why do I get really jerky playback on a file like this? I don't see any reason why it would cause a choppy playback issue, it skips like every 10 seconds and audio playback is fine, video stutters like hell. Also my TV says it doesn't support it either for some reason which I find really weird (Samsung KS8000).

It plays fine on my PC so it's not an issue in the file itself. Any other HEVC file I play works fine.

Video: HVC1 1920x1080 23.976fps [V: hevc main, yuv420p, 1920x1080 [default]]

Audio: AAC 44100Hz stereo [A: Japanese Stereo [jpn] (aac lc, 44100 Hz, stereo) [default]]

dae54abe0e.png

Are you playing from USB hard disk or streaming from addons ? I can't get HDR to work on either options.
    Please share the video setting information.

Using LE 5b on s905x, 2gb ram
    Samsung 60" 4K tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was playing the file from my PC over DLNA (Universal Media Server), works fine. Your TV needs to be in Movie mode I think to automatically recognize HDR.
    Havent tested anything on USB yet.

Some people are adamant NFS is faster, but for large video files it's roughly the same speed as SMB in my experience.

The chart is SMB performance over ethernet and the numbers are megabyte/sec, so multiply by 8 for mbit - 10MB per sec is 80mbit.

upnp/dlna gives me fastest speeds, but it's not a protocol I particularly like.

Same as adding smb or nfs - Add source > uPNP devices > Select your server

Yes but you cannot see them on your Library, you can watch them through there but they don't show up on your library which sucks :(

my 'big' sample file :) on my external HDD
    impossible via network(cable) from NAS

Why would that be impossible over network? It's only like 67Mbps overall bitrate.

Stige: can you absolutely confirm that you get proper-looking HDR input from the box on your HDR TV and that the TV reports it's receiving HDR signal? That would confirm that the box is not doing HDR-SDR conversion but is configured for native HDR output... That would explain light blacks on SDR TV's, but why then it even attempts to alter the look when all it needs is send picture as is, with added HDR metadata...

Sent from my GM 5 Plus d using Tapatalk

Yes it's 100% correct HDR. TV recognizes it the moment the movie starts and shows the "HDR video playing" popup in top left corner as usual.
    And black are as good as they are when I play the same file directly on the TV.