Posts by zomboided

The number of vpn connections you're offered is related to the number of ovpn files you upload. Each has a different IP address for the different connections. If you only upload one, how is it to know where the others are?

The error you get means that the routing table hasn't been updated, this can happen for a whole variety of reasons. You should always verify the connection gives you a different IPaddress to confirm its worked

See this reply earlier in the thread.
    thread-5032-post-39337.html#pid39337

[hr]

Glad to see "zomboided" again, whoever this ominous zomboided1 may have been ... :D :D

In order of your moving i also migrated to LE Forums.
    So what's to do first? Ah i know ... leave +rep for this great addon ;)

yep, that's all for now ^^

Greets from Austria ... and as always, thank you very much for your dedication to this project :)

Thanks man, glad it's working well for you.

3.0.0 is out on the repo and GitHub

This adds support for third party add-ons to use the filter functionality. I've been able to add a few lines to the IVue add-on (my TV Guide of choice) to get the VPN connection to switch with a channel. Probably the next task is to convince third parties to add support (as I'm not going to hack around a bunch of other peoples work)

I see this when upgrading via the repo (like last night when 2.8.0 was coming). You just wait and it sorts itself out. The problem is that during upgrade it blows away the entire plugin, including existng settings. When it comes back the settings are restored (if you try and use it mid upgrade you'll get funky results). It's not ideal, but there's nothing I can think to do about it other than look at how I can make the add-on smaller (and upgrade quicker). Any established VPN will continue to run so there's no exposure there.

If it doesn't show up as an option to filter then you can't filter on it. You can look at window ID filtering I just added but I don't know if it uses a unique window as I've never used it. You're probably better off just setting up a cycle key and switching it on when you need it.

You're creating a tunnel between the computer running the vpn and the vpn server. When you connect you're told the IP address of that specific computer as seen to the outside world, it's not the IP address your provider gives you and it's not going to go through the gateway to your local network, whatever that looks like. None of the factors you mention make any difference at this point. Check out the link I responded with a few posts back.

apc the problem is that when you connect to a VPN you've punched a massive hole in your firewall and you're at the mercy of your provider to filter unwanted traffic. This is particularly an issue on a box like LE where the root password is widely known. Some VPNs are better than others at filtering, but you should definitely check...

MrMorgen Your question is basically the open ended "why you can't I get a connection to anything from my Kodi box?". I don't know how you've set this up, what options you've used to create your own VPN server, what your home network looks like, what your ip routing table looks like and what your firewall is doing. You should google around trouble shooting network issues, I don't have the time to help with issues outside of the add-on.

Will4k Home · Zomboided/service.vpn.manager Wiki · GitHub

Hi zomboided,

Rebooted kodi...
    Attempted to connect manually...

Kodi Log

This says it thinks it connected (1 = connected, other values = not connected)
    13:10:45.875 T:1873802144 NONE: VPN Mgr Debug: VPN connection status is 1

This says it can't get info from external services to determine where the IP is. If you reset the .ovpn files using the GUI and rerun it, it'll try other providers. I'm expecting it to just say that it can't get to those either. Or you can use the last option in the debug menu to manually try other providers.
    13:10:45.894 T:1873802144 NONE: VPN Mgr Debug: Getting IP info from IP-API
    13:12:55.145 T:1873802144 ERROR: VPN Mgr : (common.py) Didn't get a good response from IP-API
    13:12:55.182 T:1873802144 NONE: VPN Mgr Debug: Retrying IP-API, in 3 seconds
    13:15:08.258 T:1873802144 ERROR: VPN Mgr : (common.py) Didn't get a good response from IP-API

This suggests you have no path to external connections once you've connected.

Tried to connect using command line on libreelec ssh and I get the same error. Than I get the all the files (.ovpn, cert, .key. pass.txt etc) and tried on an ubuntu machine conncected exactly on the same network. It worked immediately without any problem. I suspect something is wrong on libreelec 8.0 openvpn. Tried to update but is not possible. Could be a libreelec 8.0 bug ?
    [hr]

Yes, as per my PM confirm by testing on LE 7.0 and then take the issue to your VPN provider.

[hr]

This is a log of a connection that appears to have worked? Get a kodi log, with debug switched on. I'd guess it just says that it can't reach any of the services to determine the location of your IP which point to a network connection at which point you need to determine why that is.

Is it possible to use addon filtering with transmission? I have transmission setup to start downloading only in the night time. But it would be great if the network traffic is always forwarded through VPN when transmission is downloading. Currently, I have setup cron jobs to start/stop vpn connections during night time. But sometimes, I disconnect the vpn when watching something and forget to switch that back and so transmission would be running on without VPN.

By the way, the best must have addon for VPN. Great job.
    [hr]
    Another issue I have is, sometimes when I am watching a video like tv show/movie from the local library and if the VPN connection is ON, then it would disconnect and reconnect it. This stops the video which I have to start again. Do you know how to fix it, It is very annoying sometimes as I can't download anything when watching a video. This videos are already downloaded and stored on external drive connected to Rpi 3 using powered hub.

The filtering is not active whilst you're watching videos. The only reason you'll see this is because the openvpn task is terminating (bad connection or something else is killing it) and it's being restarted. There's an option on the monitor tab of the settings to not do this during playback, but the question really should be what's messing with you connection.

I don't use transmission so I've no idea. All I'll say is that if you're messing with the vpn externally to the addon, then good luck. It'll just cause the add-on to act weirdly. You probably should use the API (see the wiki) to disable fitlering, connect to a vpn and then enable filtering via your cron job.

[hr]

This is so broken I don't know where to start. You're running on a platform that's probably not been tested before. All of the assumptions about what services are available and where things are located are determined by the platform and here things are clearly failing because those assumptions are wrong in multiple ways. You can go read the wiki to understand the settings on the debug tab to see whether changing things like the log location and the way commands are run make any difference, but I don't know how helpful those options will be.

I'm not overly motivated to solve the problems of every single platform that Kodi could run on because life is too short. If you're doing something non-standard outside of vanilla Linux (whatever that represents), LE or Windows then it's up to you to debug when something is failing and why and I'll see if there's a work around I can add. I'm not gonna do this for you and I'm not going to install your environment to recreate it myself.

The answer here is actually to use dual boot (I do, albeit with recalbox) and install LibreELEC in its own partition. It's easy to do and likely far more easy than what I've suggested you need to do above to make this work.

I've uploaded 2.8.0 on github and the repo.

It adds a new kind of filtering that allows you to change connections based on window IDs. This can be used to ensure you're on the right connection (or disconnected) for IPTV, which was the major reason to add this. It's not as easy to set up as add-on filtering and requires you to know what you're doing a bit more but I've made it as easy as possible.

Instructions are on the wiki here

I will get the log uploaded when I get home tonight. It might be worth noting I am running Kodi on a Raspberry Pi 3.

Does it use PPTP/LSTP/SOCKS? A coworker advised me that I might need to enable that within PIA. I did and it provides me with a different user name and password for this type of connection.

No it uses openvpn...

PIA does have a different user ID/password to your login ID (I use it). If you're using your login, that'll be the problem. I'm still interested in the log though please still because it should give you an auth failure, not what you see.