Posts by KOPRajs

On the internal storage looks like is no more space due to defective nand.
    The only option for him is to create external storage propertley.(My question is why he need to keep the card all the time in?? ---- without card hi is getting the eror.)
    How to create correctly external drive? to make sure the unit will give him an option to load some repisatory like Aries, etc..... but that require space.
    Thanks

The storage is the place where your system stores all its runtime data (settings, add-ons, downloads, cache, thumbnails, etc.). So if you use external device for storage you can't remove it. Clearing the storage means factory reset.

If you're not sure how to properly create an empty storage with the needed LIBREELEC_DISK label, you can use the image I've provided (storage.img.gz). Just write it to SD card or USB drive with LibreELEC USB-SD Creator.

Still having problems with finding this setting here are the directions I am trying to follow.. Anyone have an idea why this option isn't here?

kodi 17.1 to enable: Addons -> My Addons -> VideoPlayer InputStream -> RTMP input

Try Addons -> Install from repository -> LibreELEC Add-ons -> VideoPlayer InputStream -> you know what ;)

I got version 8.0.1 working using the usb method as I couldn't get access via SSH - kept getting an error saying that I was 'refused'. I think this might be because I had previously accessed openelec via SSH and it has the same IP address are libreelec.

The build seems good but I can't seem to get my old addons to work like they used to (e.g. ******). Anybody else having this problem?

You need to enable SSH service in LibreELEC Configuration -> Services before connecting to SSH.

I couldn't get any addons to function with the Libreelec/Krypton build so I've downgraded back to openelec 6.0.3.

Am I the only one who cannot get addons to function? Is there something I missed?

What does it mean "couldn't get any addons to function"? If you don't see anything under the Enter add-on browser section from main menu try Addons -> Install from repository -> ...

If you want to use the internal NAND for storage you need to login via SSH and run the tune2fs command from OP. Then you can remove the external SD card or USB drive. The not enough space problem might be caused by a small storage partition. You can try to create it from this image (storage.img.gz) using LibreELEC USB-SD Creator. It is only 512 MB but it is set to be automatically resized to a whole device upon first boot.

Hope this helps! :)

I only wish I had the box in my possesion so I could go through the steps from above. Thank you for your great efforts Koprajs! Quick question though, does this create an external storage on the SD or USB and not create it on the onboard internal partition for it, meaning I'd have to leave the card or usb stick in?

Yes, this creates the storage on SD card or USB drive. You have 2 options:

1. Leave the SD card or USB drive in and continue to use it (this is good if your internal NAND is not working anymore or if you want bigger or even faster storage).

2. Or you can enable SSH, login and run the tune2fs command from OP to enable storage on internal NAND. Then you can remove the SD card or USB drive.

In either way you only need to do this once (when setting this build up). Updating to the next versions will work as usual (copy the TAR file to Update folder and reboot).

Since many people seems to have problems with creating the storage partition with the label, I have created an image (storage.img.gz) so you can now create it with LibreELEC USB-SD Creator.

The easiest way to install LE 8.0:
    1. install the zip from recovery as usual (please note that you don't need the ext3 partition for this step!)
    2. power off the device
    3. create the storage partition on SD card or USB drive using storage.img.gz and LibreELEC USB-SD Creator
    4. insert the storage device and power on the box

Hope this helps!

The good news is that it is actually possible to recover from the bootloader brick. However all provided solutions seems to be incomplete.

1. The MX2.img.zip solution:
    - the extracted .img file is not actually a RAW disk image file but rather a compressed image file format from HDD Raw Copy Tool
    - it can be burned to SD card ONLY by HDD Raw Copy Tool (using any other software will result in a corrupted SD card)
    - you have to rename the MX2.img to MX2.imgc before opening it in HDD Raw Copy Tool
    - however even then I was not able to use the SD card to recover my device

2. The mx2-boot-recovery.zip solution:
    - this solution is essentially the good one but it is very brief

The essential part is that we need to write the bootloader to MBR of the SD card. More complex and working guide can be found at [HOW-TO] Unbrick DroidTV MX (the second solution).

hmm looks like the new bootloader is not compatible i will revert to the old one and re upload the images.
    Sorry for the trouble guys but you should be able to flash back android and re-try easily.

Playing with the bootloader on a device you don't have and releasing the image to public without any testing is not very good practice. Since the bootloader doesn't work at all how we are supposed to revert back to Android? The device is dead now, it cannot boot from SD card anymore.

HI i tried to install using .tar file from Nemesis 72 (openelec 16.0) and it says when updating then update was success but once it starts it shows openelec start screen and then goes to android recovery straight after

This is the same case with one of my friend's box as well. Exact same thing updated from Nemesis 72

I have the same problem when updating to this build using tar from my LE 8.0.1.

EDIT: Does anyone actually got this to work? My box now seems to be dead after trying to flash the zip from recovery. Cannot enter the recovery using toothpick anymore. Any suggestions? The device is G-Box Midnight MX2. Now I only get blue light and no signal on HDMI.

Hi. I have a MX2 with CodeSnake's OpenElec on it right now. I'd like to try this so that I can have Kodi 17. I followed the instructions, formatted a flash drive with ext3, unzipped the recovery zip onto it, named the flash drive LIBREELEC_DISK. However, when I go to reset the box with the flash drive plugged in by pressing in the A/V button, nothing appears to happen. It just boots up like normal, no android recovery screen. I tried several times, and I can feel the toothpick pressing in the button. I think maybe OpenElec overwrites this, so the recovery button doesn't do anything anymore? Is there something else I should be doing if OpenElec is already installed on it?

Thanks

If you already have a working OpenELEC or LibreELEC on your device and you want to continue using internal NAND for storage please use installation instructions for updating existing installations:
    1. set the label on your internal NAND by running tune2fs -L LIBREELEC_DISK /dev/data using SSH
    2. update using TAR as usual (copy .tar to .update/ folder and reboot)

If you want to do a clean install:
    1. flash the ZIP from recovery as usual (using FAT32 formated SD card or USB drive)
    2. power off the box (don't worry about the error during first boot)
    3. insert empty SD card or USB drive with ext3 filesystem and the LIBREELEC_DISK label and power on the box (the system will use it for storage instead of the internal NAND)
    4. (optional) if you prefer to use the internal NAND for storage you can now set the label using SSH, remove the external storage device and reboot

I'm only familiar with flashing the box with sd card. i would like to know how to run the code through ssh, sorry newb. hope someone can help. I'm also using a mac.

You'll need to search and learn a bit as I cannot provide a complete step-by-step guide for everyone however these are the basic steps needed:

1. you need to enable SSH service on your box in LibreELEC Configuration Add-on (Settings -> LibreELEC Configuration -> Services -> SSH)
    2. connect to the box using your favourite SSH client (use PuTTY in Windows, for Mac you should open terminal window and run ssh root@ip_address)
    3. login as root with password libreelec

A quick Google search revealed this:
    How to SSH into Raspberry Pi for remote administration?

Please note that if you set the label on internal NAND using SSH you will then have to update to 8.0.x using tar! Flashing the zip from recovery will erase the label!

Yes, you need to set the label on your storage partition for 8.0.x if you haven't done that before. However if you are already running 8.0.0 you don't need to set the label again. Just update using tar as usual.

Hi Sorry I just need to clarify something

So I took a brand new USB ( 8GB) and formatted it in EXT3 using Easyus partition master and labelled it as LIBREELEC_DISK . I am currently using windows 10 and as soon as its formatted, windows give me a pop up saying the drive needs to be formatted so I can not copy 8.0.0.Zip file as I am trying to install from recovery method on Mx2 box. I have installed android firmware on the box and if some one can help me with what to do next or advise that would be very much appreciated.

I have been previosly working on Openelec and librelec versions so just need to know how can i put/paste 8.0.0.zip file on EXT3 formatted USB drive as windows 10 is prmpting me to format the drive first

How does this work?
    The 8.0.0 build looks for the LIBREELEC_DISK label at every boot and will use the first device it finds with the correct label for storage.

You have 2 options how to install 8.0.0:

1. from a working 7.95.3:
    - first run tune2fs -L LIBREELEC_DISK /dev/data on SSH
    - then update to 8.0.0 using tar (copy 8.0.0.tar to update folder and reboot)
    - you'll get 8.0.0 running with storage on the internal NAND (and with settings from 7.95.3 kept)

2. from the recovery:
    - first install 8.0.0.zip as usual (you will get the error when booting)
    - then format SD card or USB drive with EXT3 and LIBREELEC_DISK label and insert it in the box (do not let Windows format it and do not try to copy anything to it)
    - reboot the box and you'll get 8.0.0 running with storage on the external device (clean installation, no settings kept)
    - now you can keep running with storage on the external device (good if you have a device with broken internal NAND) or you can switch to internal NAND by running tune2fs -L LIBREELEC_DISK /dev/data on SSH and removing the external device

The error message is caused by the missing storage partition. You need to provide an ext3 formated SD card or USB drive with LIBREELEC_DISK label for version 8.0.0 to work. Alternatively you can upgrade from 7.95.3 using provided tar file, but you have to run the following command first:

Code
    tune2fs -L LIBREELEC_DISK /dev/data

Please read the installation instructions for version 8.

I have also noticed on 7.95.3 that the wifi does show up and it shows the strength like in my case it was showing wifi strength as "34" and as soon as I connect my wifi after few minutes the wifi strength is "100" and when tested nothing works on wifi. I have even tested speed tester addon and it would not even show any results but when connected back to ethernet everything starts working.

So basically wifi have some issues. Hopefully can be fixed in next version

Please read the installation instructions. If you flash version 8.0.0 from recovery you will need an ext3 formated SD card or USB drive with LIBREELEC_DISK label for the first boot.

I've seen many MX boxes fail this way. In my experience its only a matter of time and this problem will show up.

This problem might not be due to the software. The MX box is quite old (2013 is ancient history when it comes to mediaplayers) and a lot of them have been used extensively. There is a thing called NAND flash wear-out it means that due to a lot of read/write cycles the memory deteriorates. On top of this, I think that the NAND drivers do not contain the latest workarounds for this problem. Also these boxes were not made from the best quality NAND chips. I'm guessing that a lot carry NAND Flash memory which were cheaper because they were rejected by the NAND chip factory quality control requirements.

The reason a reinstall triggers this problem is because this proces wipes the memory and rewrites a relative large percentage of the storage. The probability of encountering a bad part in this case is very high.

That's why this build allows the usage of external device for storage instead of internal NAND. Install this build (version 8.0.0) and insert SD card or USB drive formated as ext3 with LIBREELEC_DISK label and you should be able to boot and use these devices with broken NAND again.

Same issue here.

This is what happens when no partition with LIBREELEC_DISK label was found. Either you did not correctly run the above command or you did the update from recovery (using zip) which also erased the label. Now you need to create the SD card or USB drive with ext3 and LIBREELEC_DISK label for the first boot. Then you can run the above command again if you want to use the internal NAND or you can continue to use the created external storage.

I've updated the build to 8.0.0 and added the ability to use SD card or USB drive as a storage partition for devices with broken NAND memory.

Warning! The build now requires a storage partition with LIBREELEC_DISK label. Please read the installation instructions before updating!

Updating exisiting installations:
    Run the following command on SSH before updating to 8.0.0 to set the label of your internal NAND storage partition. Then you can update from tar as usual.

Code
    tune2fs -L LIBREELEC_DISK /dev/data