Posts by Shoog

I have encountered all of the main personalities in this story and I simply ain't buying the poor Innocent wronged victim narrative.
    What I see is the sad bickering of divorced parents.

Just as a bit of perspective - hows the relationship with team OE going ?

Shoog

Yes indeed it does using the CE 9.0.1 official build . I have started this Leia build from scratch i.e. not restoring to it a previous Krypton backup so that ensures I do not carry over lots of baggage from old stranded dependencies etc. ot indeed any non compatitble old addons. SO I do prefer a nice clean start with a new KODI system.

One question so far is regarding the option in the System Settings for the special configurations. What is the 4.2.2 option for. Does that option if enabled force the system to not output 4.4.4. or maybe 10 bit too and downgrade it to 4.2.2. 8 bit for equipment that cannot take 4.4.4. like many projectors etc. ?? There is no inbuilt help info on that option and it is ambigious as to what exactly it does.

I do want the full 4.4.4. HDR and 10 bit output to my fully capable TV when available. So I have recently purchased a special high quality, not cheap (about US$60), Gofanco Prophecy 2 in - 1 out HDMI 2a splitter that has an astounding 18 Gbps bandwidth capability and supports full 4K HDR and 4.4.4. chroma too. Amazingly this unit also has the means to downscale output to 1080 on just one outport port with a non UHD display or AVR attached. It has EDID editing DIL switches too for many different options to meet your needs. Works a treat, so I can now enjoy the full UHD, HDR, 4.4.4. output to my TV just about as it would be if connected directly to my TX9 Pro box, and cAn now use the HDMI connection to my non UHD/HDR Denon AVR so I can enjoy full spec high quality passthrough audio modes like DTS HD MA etc which were not available to me running the audio via FIbre Optic Toslink connection from my TV to the AVR Toslink input. This Gofanco splitter does just about all I need but not Dolby Vision HDR as yet, though there is a means to firmware upgrade these splitters so maybe a firmwware update may be released by Gofanco that can facilitate Dolby Vision in the future even in restricted to 8 bit 4.2.2. in such a high spec mode ??

So I can happily recommentd the Gofanco Prophecy splitter. Other alternatives are available of course like the SIIG almost identical high spec splitter, which I am certain uses exactly the same hardware.and has the same features but is about $10 dearer generally.

These questions are fully discussed at the CE forum, best to take them there. There is a thread called best CE settings.

Shoog

Not really sure what you're saying here about "at least one which was not" but please don't tell Kwiboo (or any other forum member for that matter) "to be quiet" as Kwiboo had first hand experience of how it went down in the Team LibreELEC Slack prior to the fork.

There were several Amlogic PRs from CoreELEC founders merged *before* the fork, many more that were rage closed by the contributor during the peer-review process (as while they might have worked for Amlogic they broke or impaired pretty much every platform other than Amlogic), and I'm certain that there were *no* PRs contributed after the fork as CoreELEC made Team LibreELEC very aware that they would not be upstreaming any of their code. Needless to say, we were left distraught and dismayed at their decision (nah, not really!)

Unfortunately this lack of transparency is a bit sad, but its helped me decide who is distorting the story.

Shoog

Unfortunately I call BS on this since I know of at least one which was not. If you can't even be honest then its best to be quiet.

Shoog

1. I'll give you a potted summary: the CoreELEC founders claim they were "thrown out of Team LibreELEC" when in fact they left of their own accord because they couldn't handle their Amlogic contributions being peer-reviewed, and since then they've been sniping at LibreELEC while consuming _everything_ we produce and giving _nothing_ back. They left, it was their choice, and they're full of animosity/hate - there's little we can do about how they feel to be honest, but we certainly won't tolerate their sh*t on our forum.

Just to clarify this, did LE ever pull in any of the commits submitted by CE team members ?

Shoog

The Khadas VIM's had far better support than any of the cheap chinese boxes simply because they sent samples (eventually). The lack of support from LE for the Khadas VTV board was the primary reason I migrated to CE.

Shoog

Thankfully he's someone else's nightmare to contend with these days, not ours. Not much sleep lost to his trolling :)

Whats your nightmare is everyone else's joy. When it comes down to it all the average user should care about is a working OS which is what adams team has delivered. Take a chill pill all this hate is bad for you.

Shoog

Also same story with removing cron support from busybox which is PR from another admin here because there is systemd timers, users are second place here it seems.

These are not even big changes like this.

I think it does none of us any favours to take this tone. LE is a big project and competing needs have to be weighed up. We should be grateful for both the LE and CE teams in all their hard work so far. If you don't like the tone of a project then don't use it. i personally use both and am grateful for both teams.

Shoog

CoreELEC is moderating any threads not related to the Odroid-N2 or legacy boxes, there's no free speech over there... LibreELEC is at least trying to keep universal support mainline for the SoCs themselves, CoreELEC is focusing their efforts on the old SDK instead...

That's the difference.

Simply not true, you can discuss any AMLogic box and will receive support for you question. At the moment developer attention is on the N2, mainly because CE for S905/S912 is stable and simply works, but support for N2 is a work in progress.

Shoog

CoreELEC is moderating any threads not related to the Odroid-N2 or legacy boxes, there's no free speech over there... LibreELEC is at least trying to keep universal support mainline for the SoCs themselves, CoreELEC is focusing their efforts on the old SDK instead...

That's the difference.

This is a bullshit statement. LE dropped support for AML boxes (and this is still the status of LE on AMLogic), this was the very reason why CE branched. All of the current leia builds running LE are highly experimental and largely unstable compared to CE and are not officially supported.

If dropping support for the huge number of people running AMLogic boxes is universal support then you live in astrange sub-universe. People who have been in this game a lot longer than you are simply pointing out the reality that CE is the only fully supported and stable solution for AMLogic boxes - and that reality is entirely down to LE's policy decisons.

Shoog

I must observe that despite what many people claim, the emmc on the VIM boards is significantly faster then any SD card you can put into it and it does improve the performance of the interface and other system operations (most noticeable on upgrades which take less than 20 secs when using emmc and mins when using SD).

Shoog