Posts by Shoog

Not really sure what you're saying here about "at least one which was not" but please don't tell Kwiboo (or any other forum member for that matter) "to be quiet" as Kwiboo had first hand experience of how it went down in the Team LibreELEC Slack prior to the fork.

There were several Amlogic PRs from CoreELEC founders merged *before* the fork, many more that were rage closed by the contributor during the peer-review process (as while they might have worked for Amlogic they broke or impaired pretty much every platform other than Amlogic), and I'm certain that there were *no* PRs contributed after the fork as CoreELEC made Team LibreELEC very aware that they would not be upstreaming any of their code. Needless to say, we were left distraught and dismayed at their decision (nah, not really!)

Unfortunately this lack of transparency is a bit sad, but its helped me decide who is distorting the story.

Shoog

Unfortunately I call BS on this since I know of at least one which was not. If you can't even be honest then its best to be quiet.

Shoog

1. I'll give you a potted summary: the CoreELEC founders claim they were "thrown out of Team LibreELEC" when in fact they left of their own accord because they couldn't handle their Amlogic contributions being peer-reviewed, and since then they've been sniping at LibreELEC while consuming _everything_ we produce and giving _nothing_ back. They left, it was their choice, and they're full of animosity/hate - there's little we can do about how they feel to be honest, but we certainly won't tolerate their sh*t on our forum.

Just to clarify this, did LE ever pull in any of the commits submitted by CE team members ?

Shoog

The Khadas VIM's had far better support than any of the cheap chinese boxes simply because they sent samples (eventually). The lack of support from LE for the Khadas VTV board was the primary reason I migrated to CE.

Shoog

Thankfully he's someone else's nightmare to contend with these days, not ours. Not much sleep lost to his trolling :)

Whats your nightmare is everyone else's joy. When it comes down to it all the average user should care about is a working OS which is what adams team has delivered. Take a chill pill all this hate is bad for you.

Shoog

Also same story with removing cron support from busybox which is PR from another admin here because there is systemd timers, users are second place here it seems.

These are not even big changes like this.

I think it does none of us any favours to take this tone. LE is a big project and competing needs have to be weighed up. We should be grateful for both the LE and CE teams in all their hard work so far. If you don't like the tone of a project then don't use it. i personally use both and am grateful for both teams.

Shoog

CoreELEC is moderating any threads not related to the Odroid-N2 or legacy boxes, there's no free speech over there... LibreELEC is at least trying to keep universal support mainline for the SoCs themselves, CoreELEC is focusing their efforts on the old SDK instead...

That's the difference.

Simply not true, you can discuss any AMLogic box and will receive support for you question. At the moment developer attention is on the N2, mainly because CE for S905/S912 is stable and simply works, but support for N2 is a work in progress.

Shoog

CoreELEC is moderating any threads not related to the Odroid-N2 or legacy boxes, there's no free speech over there... LibreELEC is at least trying to keep universal support mainline for the SoCs themselves, CoreELEC is focusing their efforts on the old SDK instead...

That's the difference.

This is a bullshit statement. LE dropped support for AML boxes (and this is still the status of LE on AMLogic), this was the very reason why CE branched. All of the current leia builds running LE are highly experimental and largely unstable compared to CE and are not officially supported.

If dropping support for the huge number of people running AMLogic boxes is universal support then you live in astrange sub-universe. People who have been in this game a lot longer than you are simply pointing out the reality that CE is the only fully supported and stable solution for AMLogic boxes - and that reality is entirely down to LE's policy decisons.

Shoog

I must observe that despite what many people claim, the emmc on the VIM boards is significantly faster then any SD card you can put into it and it does improve the performance of the interface and other system operations (most noticeable on upgrades which take less than 20 secs when using emmc and mins when using SD).

Shoog

I find LE Krypton to be reasonably unstable on my M8S S812 box, it tend to lock up easily if over stressed, which can be triggered by something as simple as navigating to fast. I don't see it been up to the task.

Shoog

LE no longer releases anything for AMLogic chips officially. None of the Leia releases presented here are officially supported on the AML platform by LE. This is because of their policy with regard to only supporting hardware with Linux mainline support. There is nothing specific regarding Hardkernel hardware. This also applies to Rockchip hardware for exactly the same reason.

Shoog

There's an ego thing going on here. Shame as it does diminish the other valuable contribution made.

Shoog

Consider. N2 80 (empty Board) + 4 (case) + 30 (32GB emmc and recording adapter) + 8 (WiFi) + 6 (power supply) + 4 (remote control) + 40 shipping. A total of more than 170. Soon there will be TV boxes on s922 and I have no doubt that their price is clearly not going to be so prohibitive. Or I can already take for this amount RK3399 with much more features (PCIe , support for video cameras, WoL, etc.), which will never be in N2. The funny thing is that rk3399 in real work, only 10-20% slower at maximum load. And given that in this topic, discussed LE (KODI), which is the most meager load, nor any benefits from a little more performance there. Much cheaper S905X2 easily replaces S922. Additional features of VPU\GPU-are now a minus, not a plus, because they have support only in closed legacy drivers from the kernel 3.14 (which are stuck in the kernel 4.9). And I don't see a lot of content that needs innovation from the G52. Regarding performance-I recommend to carefully study all the "tests" that were performed with N2 and if you are careful, you will see a lot of falsehood in them. Especially funny looks, the choice of the competitor with which to compare N2 - N1 does not exist. By the way, this is another reason why I would not rush to buy N2 - new owners of HK at any time can give an order to close this project (there is a sad experience with N1). It's funny to see the dilettantes talk about the cooling system. Under load, the chip temperature rises more than 70 degrees, this means that the radiator (which is idiotically located at the bottom and under the entire area of the motherboard) starts to work as a heater for the entire area of the motherboard. In which there are many metal conductors through which the entire structure and other components (memory, etc.) is actively heated. I.e., to heat themselves, it adds a good porchia heat from the processor. This clearly reduces their resource and overall performance. Probably this, N2 at the maximum load, shows acceleration at 10-20 % . Another problem, the heat that the components emit + additional heat from the lower radiator is "locked" in a plastic case, creating a greenhouse effect. Personally I have no desire to throw 170-180 and then spend time reworking mistakes constructors (remove the radiator and cover it from the motherboard insulating spacers and to invent how to add fan in this stupid design

I'm not interested in dealing with children.

You lost credibility when you said that plenty of cheaper TV boxes running S922x were just around the corner. The record of cheap TV boxes providing the sort of cooling offered by the N2 is about zero. At that point I stopped reading your ramblings. Cheap TV boxes will have zero cooling, zero software support and no high spec DAC. Your observations regarding the effectiveness of the cooler fly in the face of the actual real world experience of the many developers who are using pre-release samples who are reporting die temps of 40C when doing software decoding of netflix at 1080p quality.
    Go bark up another tree before a rottweiler comes and bites your head off.

Shoog