Posts by noggin

Solution: Either buy a Powered USB box or have Wi-fi built in; Whatever you do avoid the raspberry Pi Zero Non-W.

I don't know where you got 'Powered USB box' from. If your case gives you access to the Pi Zero's Micro USB port, and the power solution for the case is suitable, then you can use a cheap, non-powered USB hub with integrated Ethernet, such as this :

Or you can use a Micro USB to USB-A dongle like the one supplied with this kit to allow you to connect a WiFi dongle alone :

Both are bits of kit I have in my 'useful dongles' box at home for getting non-W Pi Zeros set-up and configured.

Hello,

Is it possible to improve the performance in order to be able to reproduce the type of video that I will put the link, I already talked about it in the post above.

Thanks

Video file

If you are talking about decoding and deinterlacing high bitrate 4:2:2 1080i25 MPEG2 (or h.264) on a Pi 4B - then no - I don't think it is currently possible.

The only ARM platform I know that can currently handle software decode and deinterlace of 4:2:2 1080i stuff is the Apple TV 4K. I've not seen any other ARM SoC handle it. (As an added benefit the ATV 4K has hardware accelerated decode of 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 HEVC/h.265 - as a side-effect of that codec being used for Mac Airplay desktop mirroring, though 4:2:2 MPEG2 and AVC/h.264 is done in software.)

It may be possible for the MPEG2 decode and deinterlace to be further optimised for the Pi to allow for it using techniques like GPU-assisted decode (rather than VPU hardware acceleration) - but for such a niche codec I'm not sure that the developers will have the inclination to do so.

chewitt So, you do not think it has something to do with TVHeadend and the USB SAT tuner. I thought about testing to access the TVHeadend server on the CoreElec box instead. But this will not happen soon (needing switch to connect both boxes to the ethernet and being away next week).

Is the support for SD channels planned until release?

Are you able to test on a Windows or Mac laptop running Kodi over a network connection to your TV Headend + DVB-S capture solution box Or by running VLC and taking the http streams from TV Headend's UI?

(To test in VLC you copy the link from the play icon - by right clicking and copying the link - next to the channel in the Services tab and then paste the link it into the Open Network option in VLC)

That way you can confirm whether the issue is with TV Headend and the DVB Reception, or your Kodi playback environment.

If you can't network stream - then you could copy a recording to a USB stick and try to play that on another platform?

The fact that you get audio but not video with SD content suggests the issue is probably with your playback option (Audio and Video are all received as part of a single data stream - so the fact you're getting audio suggests the issue isn't with TV Headend or your DVB-S reception solution probably)

Assuming you're looking 19.2E Astra 1 then

1) and 2) are h.264 (aka 'MPEG4') compression - with 1. being 720p50 "progressive' and 2. being 1080i25 (aka 1080/50i) "interlaced"

3) is 576i25 (aka 576/50i) "interlaced" using MPEG2 compression.

So it sounds like there are issues with both deinterlacing and MPEG2 decoding?

You are obviously right,
    I didn't removed the repos /add-ons because it was obvious to me that it is a general issue and not related to any add-on

The Kodi and LibreElec forums have a policy of not supporting those who use banned repos/add-ons, due to the bad reputation that they have given Kodi (to the extent that some online auction sites now treat 'Kodi' as a banned word in listings).

Doesn't matter whether the issue is related to them or not.

Kodi always and only outputs progressive. Interlaced 25/29.97/30 media requires 50/59.94/60Hz modes from the TV so that each interlaced frame (two half frames) can be rendered progressively (in two progressive frames). Hence the highest resolution Kodi can output is 720p (mode 4) and there is no 1080i to select.

I've run LibreElec on a Pi via an HDMI->HD-SDI converter in 1080i25 output mode as a 1080i25 file player for broadcast TV. Kodi is presumably deinterlacing any interlaced media to 1080p50 and then the Pi is interlacing its output to 1080i25 (retaining the 50Hz motion), so it's not 1080i25 native - but it does retain the 1080i25 50Hz motion on its output?

(1080i25 = 1080/50i)

Also worth adding that Kodi has never really been optimised for 'interlaced in, interlaced out' replay - as preserving field order, field dominance etc. is tricky and now a pretty niche requirement.

If you configure Kodi on any platform for 480i output, and play 480i source files, chances are you'll be deinterlacing 480i to 480p and then reinterlacing to 480i for output - rather than preserving 480i. This may be fine for your use case - but a 480i 'straight through' workflow is not straightforward.

This may be pointing out the obvious - but you are removing the # sign before each one aren't you? The presence of a # sign means the OS ignores everything after it on that line (it's designed for human readable comments that the OS ignores)

That's now made me question how Rec 601 output is handled (given the very different RGB<->YCbCr matrices that Rec 709 and Rec 601 have) wrt 'default'?

My Yamaha RX-V6A AVR reports this compatibility table. The default setting is mode “4K Mode 1” and for this mode the best compatibility in the range 4K 60-24Hz is YCbCr 4:2:2

https://ibb.co/vYWb7RQ

Yes.

4K Mode 2 = 'Enhanced HDMI Mode support' on some platforms. This allows the higher bandwidth HDMI 2.0 modes to be used that allow HDR support at >4:2:0 subsampling with >8 bit depth.

4K Mode 1 only supports the lower bandwidth HDMI 2.0 modes that are based around 4:2:0 at 2160p50 and above for >8 bit depth.

My Sony UHD TV, with the enhanced modes enabled, is equivalent to 4K Mode 2 on HDMIs 2 and 3, but 4K Mode 1 on HDMIs 1 and 4. My Denon AVR required enhanced modes to be enabled too, to pass through 2160p50 and above 4:2:2 12 bit inputs.

(4:2:0 was initially added to the HDMI 2.0 spec to allow HDMI 1.4 physical hardware in TVs etc. to support 2160p50 and above modes as it squeezed into an HDMI 1.4 bandwidth signal. ISTR nVidia and Sony both added support for 4:2:0 2160p50 and above modes as upgrades to hardware that was otherwise limited to HDMI 1.4)

Thanks - that all makes sense - and totally understand why desktops would favour RGB over a subsampled 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 mode to avoid chroma smearing on fine detail (whereas video is already encoded in 4:2:0 usually so it's a moot point for video replay)

Out of interest is bit-depth checked irrespective of EOTFs - i.e. does a 1080p50 10-bit HEVC SDR Rec 709 file get output in a 10-bit or 12-bit mode?

For 10bit content the driver will check in the order RGB 4:4:4 12 bit -> YCbCr 4:2:2 12bit -> RGB 4:4:4 10bit -> RGB 4:4:4 8bit if both the sink and the RPi support that format.

It takes max TMDS bandwidth, YCbCr 4:2:2 and 10/12 (30/36) bit flags from EDID and also max TMDS rate from RPi into account (4kp60 / 600MHz TMDS is opt-in in config.txt) and picks the first supported format.

so long,

Hias

Ah - so on every format change it checks for support of the various flavours - so on most modern UHD HDR displays it will be :

2160p30 and below - RGB 12 bit

2160p50 and above - YCbCr 4:2:2 12 bit, or it has to fall back to RGB 8-bit (as there is no support for RGB 10-bit at 2160p50 and above, and the Pi doesn't support YCbCr 4:2:0)?

Does the Pi ever output YCbCr 4:4:4 ?

mathmath51 can you test with hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 in config.txt (you also need to enable HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color support in your TV's setting - this is usually HDMI-port specific) on LE 10.0.2?

LE10.0.2 supports outputting at 10 and 12bit, LE10.0.1 only sent 8bit HDMI.

So on LE10.0.1 your 4kp23.97 file is transmitted as RGB 4:4:4 8bit, 10.0.2 without 4kp60 enabled transmits at YCbCr 4:2:2 12bit, with 4kp60 enabled it transmits RGB 4:4:4 12bit - all that could make a difference.

so long,

Hias

What is the logic in the latest LE for 2160p 10-bit HEVC SDR/HDR10/HLG replay and YCbCr 4:2:2 vs RGB / YCbCr 4:4:4 at 30fps and lower and 50fps and higher?

• 4:2:2 12-bit is the only >8-bit format supported at all 2160p frame rates isn't it? This format often requires additional settings to be enabled in TVs and/or AVRs. (There is no 4:2:2 10-bit option in HDMI 2.0)
    • RGB/4:4:4 YCbCr >8-bit is only supported at 30fps and below (and 8-bit at 2160p50 and above) but normally works OOTB on TVs and AVRs.
    • 4:2:0 is supported only at 2160p50 and greater and on some TVs is the only >8-bit format supported at 2160p50 and above (and worked OOTB). However it's not supported by the Pi 4B?

The “Samsung Travel With My Pet HDR UHD 4K Demo.ts” is darker on the colums at 1:19, compared with same video played on Nvidia Shield using same version of Kodi, LG TV infos says both playbacks are 4K UHD bt.2020.

I'll see if my HD Fury Vertex reports the same static HDR 10 metadata being sent via both platforms - can you link to the content if it's in the public domain and not copyright?

I have an RPi 4B and an nVidia Shield TV Pro 2019.

It's important also to remember that some TVs will do an internal tone map to reflect the capabilities of the display - and this will be informed by the MaxCLL (Maximum Content Light Level) and MaxFALL (Maximum Frame Average Light Level) static metadata sent, which is part of the HDR10 standard (and carried by the HEVC codec, and in some cases additionally by the wrapper I believe) (This is assuming no HDR10+ is in play)

Some platforms don't passthrough MaxCLL and MaxFALL metadata - and this situation is informally referred to as PQ10 rather than HDR10 (as are TVs that ignore the static metadata - though that wouldn't be relevant to this discussion)