Posts by noggin

RPi4 is excelently supported, but DVB is an icky topic regardless of hardware. The general recommendation is to separate tuners from the playback device so you can run whatever OS and hacked version of drivers and firmware that works reliably .. with playback on something simple that you can OS bump whenever LE puts out a new release. The moment you put both functions on the same device you can have a reliable player or DVB that works; they are generally mutually exclusive and you have to chose one.

That means you could revert to a legacy image, e.g. CE or dtech's LE 9.2.8 one for the TVH side. RPi4 is a nice playback device if you can get your hands on one.

Yes - though the single-tuner DVB-T/T2 TV Hat on the Pi 4B is almost an integrated tuner and is available for £6.30 on Amazon UK at the moment. (In the UK this will allow you to record any or all HD services simultaneously - as they are all on the same frequency here in the PSB3 mux - though I think the SPI interface used does struggle to stream the full 40Mbs of a PSB Mux so you may not be able to record ALL channels simultaneously...). As it's a Raspberry Pi product, driver support on Pi OSs is reasonably good I think, and the Pi team are good at mainlining their driver support AIUI.

Raspberry Pi TV HAT
    Raspberry Pi TV hat dvb-t/t2 raspberry pi TV hat dvb-t/t2 The Raspberry brand guarantees the highest standards during the production process, to ensure an…
    www.amazon.co.uk

You can get cases that are designed for the Pi 4B and the TV Hat too.

However as chewitt says - it's usually better to separate your DVB/ATSC tuner and TV Headend backend from your Kodi playback solution, as it avoids your Kodi playback solution (like LibreElec) needing specific driver support.

You can also look at HD HomeRun networked DVB-T/T2 tuners (now available again - and available in 2 and 4 tuner flavours - along with ATSC variants in North America) or SAT>IP if you are looking for DVB-S/S2 functionality. These move tuner support to a networked device, meaning you can run TV Headend on Kodi platforms (should you wish) as the driver support is removed from the OS running Kodi, or you can run TV Headend on things like NAS/Unraid/ESXi VM boxes, or a small Pi server that just sits on the network with a hard drive for recording.

I run HDHomeRuns and SAT>IP mainly these days - with just a couple of USB DVB tuners kicking around for backups, use out and about etc.

There is no hardware deinterlace in any codec, forcing software deinterlace which is limited (else you hit the CPU limits). I've disabled support for MPEG2/MPEG4 hardware decoding in the latest images (as the hardware decoder is broken) which is why those 'work' now. However, ff those codecs and interlacing are important for your media; you aren't in the narrow band of users who should be using the AMLGX image. I have low expectations on progress because it's basically me solo supporting Amlogic these days, and I don't write driver code.

576i25 MPEG2 with software decode (and software deinterlace) I guess is working then, but 720p50 h.264 (software decode, but no deinterlace required) may be pushing the CPU to far?

Without hardware decoding, HD h264 is usually too much for these earlier CPUs, and 720p50 with software decoder is pushing it, and 1080i25 with software decode and software deinterlace almost certainly is.

I guess the choice now is stick with older builds that had hardware decode and deinterlace support, or change platform to something that supports mainline LE builds, or a newer AML platform and run CE?

If you want to run CoreElec you need a reasonably current AMLogic SoC in your box or board, it's a distro optimised for AMLogic stuff. (Support for older chipsets disappears as AMLogic cease to update their newer kernel buils with support for older boards - which is I think a consequence of them not using mainline. LibreElec is focused on using mainline I think - which is a major difference between LE and CE)

I have found the cause.

Whitelist function, here the function "Allow double refresh rates" was not activated.

Kodi will play at DVD 576/25 now 576/50.

Thanks a lot.

That's odd - you'd expect DVD native 576i25 MPEG2 video to be deinterlaced to 576p50 (as i25 = 50i and will have 50Hz motion if the source has native interlaced motion) and not need the double refresh-rate option (as DVD is MPEG2 576i25 which is a 50Hz not a 25Hz format).

You'd only expect that double refresh rate option to be needed for Handbrake or similar rips from DVD where the 576i25 MPEG2 has been converted with a deinterlace 576p25 h.264 or similar (which is fine for film-sourced content that is native p25, or p23.976/24 sped-up to p25 for 50Hz DVD), particularly as 576p25 isn't a valid output format for HDMI (HDMI only supports 576i25 and 576p50 - the two different 576 line 50Hz refresh rates)

Does LE default to a i25->p50 deinterlacing for interlaced i25 MPEG2 and h264 sources (like DVD, DVB 576i25 / 1080i25 etc.), or do you have to manually switch to a '2x' deinterlacer - I can't remember - but I thought it usually defaulted to a frame per field deinterlace?

I thougth to make the Octagon SF 8008 a TVHeadend server. But I do not know if It will change something.

Ah - is there an Enigma 2 package to run TV Headend servers on those kinds of receivers? Or are you planning to use the Octagon as a DVB->IP gateways and then use TV Headend server on a secondary computer separate to the Octagon, pulling in the IP streams from the Octagon?

I think that's the problem, because 576p/50fps is the only CEA supported HDMI mode.

But the standard for DVD in 50Hz land is 576p/25fps.

What the CEA does wrong, Linux doesn't have to do wrong too?

Windows still supports 576p/25fps.

DVD is 720x576i25 (aka 575/50i) interlaced - not 720x576p25 (aka 576/25p) progressive. The DVD video can contain native 576p25 contents (stored as psf)

The two standards that are supported over HDMI for 576 line video are 720x576p50 and 1440x576i25 (aka 1440x576/50i)

576p50 sends 576 active lines 50 times per second, i.e. 50 progressive frames.

576i25 sends 288 line fields at 50 times per second, sometimes referred to as 576 line interlaced frames at 25 frames per second i.e. 25 interlaced frames made up of 50 interlaced fields.

HOWEVER the 1440 in the horizontal resolution of the 576i25 interlaced standard is a workaround in the HDMI spec and is based around repeating every 720x576 sample/pixel to get the pixel clock high enough, it doesn't actually give you twice the horizontal resolution. (The HDMI spec doesn't allow for pixel clock as low as would be required for 720x576i25 video without the pixel doubling/repetition)

Bottom line is that MPEG2 DVDs in Europe are based on MPEG2 interlaced video - 576i25 (aka 576/50i).

If the DVD contains native interlaced video (with 50Hz motion) then you need to deinterlace to 576p50 for full motion.

If the DVD contains native 25fps progressive video (say stuff shot on film or HD / UHD at 25fps, or sped up from 24fps) then you can deinterlace to 576p25 and not lose any motion. However 576p25 isn't a valid HDMI mode (and in the days of CRT would have been unwatchable because of flicker) - so you frame repeat to get to 576p50, just as you deinterlace 576i25 native interlaced content to.

For info CEA-861 modes 17 and 18 are 4:3 and 16:9 720x576p50, and CEA-861 modes 21 and 22 are 4:3 and 16:9 1440x576i25 (which is the pixel repetition route to carrying 720x576i25 video)

Do you actually have any media outside of 576@25 (PAL) and [email protected] (NTSC) .. because ye olde analogue broadcast standards certainly don't include those refresh rates; which is prob. why Linux doesn't invent/expose them.

480p23.976 isn't that unusual. If you have movies or TV shows shot at 23.976fps on film, and carried as 3:2 29.97fps interlaced on DVD or in MPEG2, some people will transcode the MPEG2 to h.264/5 480p23.976 to allow the content to replay natively at 23.976fps avoiding 3:2 pull-down judder (or to avoid their TV having to do 3:2 detection and removal).

Personally I'm fine with this stuff replayed at 1080p23.976 as I doubt my TV's upscaling can make much more of a silk purse from a 480p sow's ear...

(I don't think 480p23.976 is a CEA supported HDMI mode anyway)

However in 50Hz land, 576i25 (aka 576/50i) is the most common format - though in Australia they flirted with 576p50 as an 'HDTV' standard for a while... (Long since ditched for 720p50 and/or 1080i25 now)

Thanks ghtester for your advice. I have tested the fix code adding it to advancedsettings.xml in usr/share/kodi/system. Teletext Subtitles appears but disappears after a time of 30 s approximately. OpenATV plays its recordings and displays the DVB Subtitles but with the same behavior that other Linux player : the Subtitles are not synchronised.

I installed TVHeadend Client on the Raspberry Pi with the ip address 192.168.1.75 as root with password of the Octagon SF8008 and I get the message: No response from TVHeadend backend.

What are you using TV Headend for?

Slightly confused about what you are saying with respect to the Octagon and passwords.

If you are using the TV Headend PVR client in Kodi to connect to a TV Headend server - the login and password you enter in the TV Headend PVR client is the login and password you create for a TV Headend account in the TV Headend web gui - which will be :

http://IP.ADDRESS.OF.TVHEADEND:9981 (i.e. the IP address of the TV Headend server)

(The login and password you use in Raspberry Pi OS are totally separate to the TV Headend user login and password)

If you are using TV Headend as an intermediate between your Octagon and your Kodi set-up then you'll need to find a way of adding the channels in your Octagon as IPTV stream in TV Headend I suspect. (Exporting an m3u from your Octagon somehow?)

Just installed a fresh nightly of LE on a Pi 4B and can confirm that there are teletext subtitles available when playing the uploaded file on a Pi 4B, accessed via the Teletext menu.

I've checked BBC DVB-S2 off-air recordings I've made of transport streams and they show the DVB Subtitles in the Kodi subtitles menu, but you have to go to Teletext and select 888 (the UK subtitles page standard) to get the teletext subtitles to display. The OP's recording has only teletext subtitles.

TV Headend does something clever with it's live streams that allows both DVB Subtitles and Teletext/WST Subtitles to appear in the subtitle menu when watching Live TV. However with recordings it's back to the teletext menu to get to the teletext subtitles it seems.

If Windows & VLC can display synchronized Teletext Subtitles, LibreELEC & Kodi should do it too if implemented in its code ?

As I posted above - Kodi does pay Teletext subtitles synchronised.

I can get the subtitles in your file to play fine in Kodi. They play back synchronised with the audio and video, you just access them via the teletext menu, as they are teletext subtitles.

If you want to raise an issue on the Kodi GitHub explaining what doesn't work that you think should work - that's how Kodi gets improved.

Not sure what your windows comment relates to though - there's no inherent support for teletext subtitles within Windows now Windows Media Center has been removed. Windows Media Player doesn't have support AFAIK.

I give you a sample of a recording :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MAbplW…iew?usp=sharing

That file contains Teletext Subtitles (aka WST Subtitles) not DVB Subtitles. There's one stream on page 888.

I'm not on LibreElec at the moment, but in a recent Kodi build on my Mac when I play that file you uploaded I get a standard Teletext icon between Bookmarks and Subtitles. When I select that I get a screen of teletext. Entering 888 (a good bet for teletext subtitles these days) I get some subtitles.

Media Info suggests there may be some on p801, 802, 803, 804, and 858 as well possibly? I'm not too sure how Media Info reflects subtitle streams inside teletext packets.

I know that sometimes WST Teletext subtitles DO appear as valid subtitle streams in Kodi (BBC channels usually offer you two subtitle streams - one DVB, one WST) - but it may required them to be flagged a certain way.

Or something may have regressed - when I am near a Pi 4B running a nightly build I'll have a look.

noggin, It is not teletext but subtitles. There is a choice between many languages : spanish, catalan...

The subtitles in the file you uploaded ARE Teletext Subtitles. It IS Teletext...

(There are two widespread ways of sending subtitles in DVB. As I said - one uses the teletext/WST standard - which sends text as characters, the other is DVB Subtitles, which sends text as graphics, a bit like DVD Subtitles work. The BBC uses both formats on satellite - as Sky receivers are WST Subtitles (also on p888) and Freesat boxes are DVB Subtitles)

VLC displays the subtitles. There are subtitles. I confirm. It's not a necessity to upload a sample I think. Wihich plugins of LibreELEC / Kodi can read .ts stream ?

Uploading is only really a route to tell us which of the two subtitle standards used on satellite TV your broadcaster is using. Now you've played them in VLC can you answer whether they are DVB Subtitles or Teletext subtitles? If not then a sample might still be useful.

There is no plugin required for DVB or Teletext subtitles in Kodi - it's a core function of the player.

As blueribb has asked - you are enabling the subtitle stream in Kodi by going to the subtitle menu when you are playing your .ts file and selecting the right subtitle stream (there may be more than one) aren't you?

The BBC in the UK uses both DVB and Teletext subtitles on satellite - so I get a choice of both streams in Kodi when I go to enable and chose my subtitles when playing back a .ts from my VU+ receiver running Enigma 2 and OpenVix.

Thanks for your help. I used to record (Movistar +) Accion, Comedia, Drama... on Astra 19.2E. I browse the recordings via Videos->Files menu.

Can you see the subtitles in VLC? It looks as if they may be DVB Subtitles according to a transponder scan I found - but it would be good to confirm. If you are able to Dropbox/GoogleDrive/Wetransfer a short clip of a recording that has subtitles that would be useful. It's a lot easier to analyse a real transport stream file. (You should only need to upload the .ts file)

OpenATV is one of the many images you can run on Enigma (2?) satellite receivers. The recording format will be MPEG2 transport stream - and will be in the .ts file.

The .ts file will contain the audio and video streams along with the subtitles. Subtitles on DVB TV can be sent in two main ways - DVB Subtitles and DVB Teletext subtitles (teletext subtitles can be used even if there is no other text service on the channel). How you access them from within Kodi will depend on which type of subtitle is being used - and how you are playing the .ts file

For instance in the UK Freesat uses DVB Subtitles but Sky uses Page 888 on Teletext to carry subtitles. This means that recordings of BBC services on satellite have both DVB Subtitles and DVB Teletext subtitles...

What channels on what satellite are you having issues with - and are you playing the recordings via a PVR plug-in or just by browsing to the recordings via the Videos->Files menu in Kodi?