Posts by noggin

Unfortunately I have never seen any tv back end app that could record multiple sub-channels with an ATSC tuner. I know it can be done with DVB tuners, but don't think it can be done with ATSC tuners.

Does TV Headend not do it? That's really surprising if that's the case. Someone needs to get coding!

AIUI there's no fundamental difference between ATSC and DVB in that regard (both use a single MPEG2 transport stream per multiplex/RF channel).

If you can't achieve it by tuning two services in TV Headend you should be able to by streaming the entire RF mux (which will be 19.2Mbs) to stream and record all the video and audio services ?

Since my WinTV QuadHD-usb tuner setup was a failure (I didn't notice it was just the PCI-E version that was supported in Linux) I've decided to go with Siliconedust Homerun connects. and Librelec on a Pi 4. I already have a Duo I used to use it with WMC, and would like to purchase a Quatro. I'll be using a USB 3, external hard drive. Will the Pi be able to handle the recording? I don't plan to use the Pi for viewing. I'll use a Linux pc for that. Will the USB3 HD handle 6 recordings and 1 viewing? Will I have to upgrade my network switch to gig switch?

I'd probably go for a GigE switch between the two tuners and the Pi 4B just to cover yourself with a bit of headroom.

Also - be aware 6 tuners can mean you can record and stream far more than 6 channels. Subchannels on the same RF frequency as the main station should only use one tuner (at least that's how DVB tuners work in TV Headend with an HD HR).

If you use a USB 3.0 Hard Drive for recording then you should be able to record many services simultaneously without hitting issues.

Rpi does not recogneze cards above 32gb. To do this you need to use a tool which will make the exfat to fat32.

That's not the case - I regularly use 64GB and 128GB microSD cards in all of my Raspberry Pis, from the Zero to a 4B 8GB RAM model.

And using Etcher or the Raspberry Pi writing tool to flash a .img or similar file will completely zap the Micro SD card, repartioning it and formatting it with the required formats for each partition.

(You may be thinking instead that if you use uSD cards in a uSD card USB reader with a Pi that Raspbian (or Raspberry Pi OS) won't mount exFAT formatted cards without installing the Fuse exFAT stuff - but LibreElec reads ExFat stuff fine on a Pi.)11

noggin

In my last build I forgot to include this patch, so it did not switch to BT.2020 color gamut when playing HDR video.

I uploaded a fixed build. Kodi is also updated to a current master.

Thanks for this.

I hadn't expected it to work with Rec 2020 HLG HDR (so many other things just do HDR10) - but it seems to. My Rec 2020 HLG HDR stuff is output with HLG flagged and my TV switches into HLG HDR mode. This is great news for BBC UHD HDR iPlayer stuff which uses HLG.

However for some reason my TV's sound device is not detected with this build detected. I'll have a reboot of both my TV and my Gemini Lake box to check it's not an HDMI funny.

** Aah - I solved it with this LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 19.0) as I didn't want to alter my BIOS in case I go back to Windows **

echo "blacklist snd_soc_skl" > /storage/.config/modprobe.d/blacklist-snd-soc-skl.conf

Installed LibraELEC on a friends Raspberry Pi 4 and ran into an issue. I copied a lot of multichannel 5.1 music in OGG format for him that play properly on my Pi 3 with OSMC but the channels are all mixed up when played back on his. If a log file is needed I'll get one but in the meantime is this quick fixable a known issue? BTW, the channel mapping is FL / C/ FR / SL / SR / LFE. Thanks!

There are reports of 5.1/7.1 PCM audio channel mapping issues elsewhere too.

• H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode) might replace outdated H.264 (1080p30)

Just one thing - the Pi Zero to Pi 3B+ all decode h.264 1080p50 at high bitrates with no major issues in my experience. Whilst 1080p30 decode is the formal limit in the spec, the reality seems to be a bit different.

I've remastered a lot of 1080i25 4:2:2 high bitrate masters to 1080p50 4:2:0 h.264 at around 40Mbs and they've played back on every Pi I've thrown them at (including a Pi Zero). I've not tried 1080p60 though..

noggin or smp: Since you were able to get it to work on a n4100, any idea if this one would work?

Amazon.com: Gigabyte Ultra Compact Mini PC/Intel UHD Graphics 600/ M.2 SSD/HDMI (2.0A)/ DP1.2A Component- GB-BLCE-4105: Computers & Accessories

It features a J4105 and is listed on intel's website as part of Gemini Lake.

I'm afraid I can't comment on that model - it's not clear whether it has HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 1.4 output (I think that may be a motherboard issue as well as a SoC/CPU issue). As there are so many variables with Intel GPU HDMI implementations I think it's best for me to only talk about the model I know for sure does work - at least on initial testing.

All the Intel HD600 series GPUs/VPUs support UHD/4K resolution h.265 and h.264 decode I believe.

However is the 4K content you want to play also HDR? If so then HDR support is not straightforward, not universal and is less to do with the Intel HD graphics version, and more to do with how the manufacturer and Intel have implemented the specific HDMI or DisplayPort output solution on the motherboard/SFF PC you are using.

If you want to watch SDR UHD/4K content then different rules apply.

Similarly Windows and Linux/LibreElec compatibility are different.

Well - I thought I'd take a punt on the cheapest Gemini Lake box I could find with quoted specs of HDMI 2.0 output (I wasn't sure about whether it used an LSPCon or not)

I bought the £179 Chuwi Herobox which has 8GB RAM and a 180GB Intel SSD, and a Quad Core Celeron N4100 CPU with HD600 Intel graphics. It comes with Windows 10 Home pre-installed (I haven't properly booted that yet) - but a USB live boot of LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.80-devel-20200201013402-e776789.img.gz downloaded from this thread was the first thing I tried.

I don't have my AVR at the moment (it's in storage) - and haven't had time to check any audio stuff at all.

The first HDR10 2160p23.976 clip I played on it switched my TV into HDR10 EOTF mode (my Sony XF9005 switched into HDR mode and the test signal made sense and looked correct at first glance) This is pretty impressive! My HD Fury Vertex is also in storage so I haven't had time to confirm the exact format and check whether it's RGB, YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, 8-bit, 10-bit or 12-bit. (You can send an HDR10 EOTF with 8-bit...)

Test clip from here HDR am TV: Testfilm zum kostenlosen Download - PC Magazin

I'll try some other stuff when I have more time tonight or tomorrow - but this is fantastic!

Amazon UK link here : CHUWI Herobox Mini PC Computer, Fanless Desktop Intel Gemini- Lake N4100 Windows10 OS, Quad Core 64 bit 1.1GHz to 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM 180GB ROM, Expandable to 1T HDD, HDPC 2.2, BT 4.0 and Dual WIFI: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

It's also fanless - so we'll see how that goes... (It also has an internal 2.5" SSD/HDD bay for a larger SSD or HDD, a VGA output, WiFi and Bluetooth, a uSD slot 2 x USB-A 3.0 front panel sockets, a USB-C - not sure if 3.0 or 2.0 on the front, 2 x USB 2.0 on the rear, along with a 3.5mm audio jack and DC input for a separate power brick, and it can be VESA mounted on the rear of a display with the included mounting bracket)

I've had far-from-great experiences with a previous Chuwi tablet - so YMMV - but for the price I thought it was worth a punt. I could/can always return it to Amazon if it hadn't been/isn't right for me.

Yes.

Yes. but the driver default to RGB 8-bit. A driver hack is required in order to switch to 2160p50/60 4:2:0 12-bit.

AMD behave a bit different - no 4:2:2 support either but the driver default to 4:2:0 12-bit for 2160p50/60 modes.

Great - so the industry standard for video production and post-production (4:2:2) - and the standard for connectivity in that area - is the one format that isn't supported...

I thought that was clarified back in February, not sure why you have to bring that up again.

4:2:2 is also irrelevant for any Intel hardware, not supported by the driver.

Apologies - I hadn't remembered I'd previously posted that information in the same forum.

So do Intel just support 4:2:0, 4:4:4 and RGB output?

If so then 4:2:0 is the only format that will support 2160p50/60 with >8-bit for HDR - unless you are in the realms of HDMI 2.1 (or was >8 bit RGB/4:4:4 added in HDMI 2.0b for 2160p50 and above)?

4K 4:2:0 with Deep color is not a part of HDMI spec. It should always be 8-bit.

No idea how to force YCbCr 4:4:4. Intel driver knows what's best for you and use RGB.

That's not correct, if by Deep Color you mean >8-bit bit depth. In fact it's quite the opposite.

4:2:0 is supported in 8, 10, 12 and 16-bin 2160p50/60 modes - it's the only sub-sampling format supported in all bit-depth outputs for 2160p50/60 modes. 4:2:0 was added to HDMI 2.0 - and is only supported for 2160p50/60 modes, with no support in 2160p24-30.

RGB/4:4:4 are only supported in 8-bit at 2160p50/60 - so whilst you may be able to flag an HDR EOTF with 2160p50/60 RGB/4:4:4 output - you can't output 10-bit sources in 10-bit or 12-bit in an RGB or 4:4:4 mode with a 2160p50/60 output format. (RGB/4:4:4 is only an option for HDR at 2160p24-30)

4:2:2 is the only >8 bit format supported for all 2160p frame rates - from 24p-60p. It is supported with 12-bit bit depth only. (So 8-bit SDR and 10-bit SDR or HDR (*) video is padded - there are no 8-bit, 10-bit or 16-bit onions for 4:2:2 output at any frame rate in the spec)

4:2:2 is thus the ideal preferred mode for 2160p HDR output - as it is supported at all frame rates. (This is why it is used by a lot of consumer products)

4:2:0 is the second best option for 2160p HDR output at 2160p50/60 - but can't be used for 2160p24-30.

4:4:4/RGB is only an option for 2160p HDR in 2160p24-30 modes.

Therefore if you can't use 4:2:2 for HDR output of 10-bit HDR material properly (i.e. without truncating to 8-bit) you have to use RGB/4:4:4 output for 2160p24-30, and 4:2:0 output for 2160p50/60. The only format supported in all frame rates is 4:2:2

See attached HDMI 2.0 timings chart downloaded from the HDMI site. HDMI 2.0b or HDMI 2.1 may have added >8-bit depth support for RGB/4:4:4 in 2160p50/60 modes - but it certainly wasn't supported in HDMI 2.0 (or 2.0a AFAIK)

(*) I watch quite a lot of self-mastered HD SDR 10-bit content - it looks so much nicer than 8-bit content covered in quantisation banding :)