Posts by fat-tony

Must just be you, or it's a 905x vs 905 thing because I have a s905 box, went here, hires downloaded a 192 stereo file, played back. 192 on my Denon AVR over HDMI.

Dang it! Must be a setting somewhere. Thanks for the pic as proof! I have a few hi-res DVD-A files which I've ripped over the years. Used to work fine with with my ION-T player. Mind you, I'm not sure I can tell the difference!

kszaq - I recall reading somewhere about LPCM playback being limited to 96kHz on the Amlogic, but can't remember exactly where and this forum doesn't support searching :(

My remaining issue with my box (S905x 2GB/16GB) is that when I play my (few) 192kHz FLAC audio files via HDMI to my AVR, they are are output at 96kHz. Is this a hard limit in the hardware or might it be fixed in a future release? Otherwise everything is working perfectly for me!

I’ve always used Kodi/System/Video output 1920x1080p @50
    Not sure this is your issue.

That's my default setting in Kodi. However, I noticed that, on reboot, Kodi was showing the refresh rate as 60. I had been using the Confluence skin which is where I noticed it. I've switched back to Estuary (not sure I like the bigger icons and font in the new version of Estuary!) and it seems to switch from boot default of 60 to 50 ok. In any case, I implemented the u-boot parameter changes as suggested by kszaq and it now uses 1920x1080x50 from initial boot so the issue is resolved, thanks. I wouldn't have thought the skin would have had any influence on the frame rate but there you are...

In beta1 some buttons were not working because keys were parsed by eventlircd rather than sent directly to Kodi.

For future builds I plan to add a possibility to switch internal IR receiver driver to LIRC so that you would be able to use any IR remote with built-in receiver. The downside of this approach is a bit slower button parsing than with amremote driver and not being able to use remote.conf files - you would have to configure every button on fresh install. That's why this will be optional and not default behaviour in my builds.

Ah - ok. I think I understand (LIRC was always voodoo to me, but I liked the control over the button mapping!). As regard configuring - the LIRC config files can be maintained in user space so no real issue on a fresh install as far as I'm concerned.
    I've turned on HW decoding for my SD mpeg2 DVD rips and it seems to be working really smoothly. It has certainly reduced the CPU usage. Many thanks!

kszaq - I noticed you had updated to beta2, so I loaded it and remote works fine for me now (same as stopping eventlircd earlier) - many thanks. Was there a mapping change somewhere?
    Following on from this , does it mean that mapping of remote buttons (built-in IR remote) could now be tweaked by users using the Lircmap.xml etc. methods? Or is this a future feature?

The fix for remote buttons is ready for the next build. Meanwhile you can temporarily fix it by running systemctl stop eventlircd.

Thanks kszaq - in the meantime, I have a question about default framerate. When my box (s905x 2GB) boots up it seems to default to 1920x1080p60. I would prefer if it it used 1920x1080p50 as most of the stuff I watch is TV or DVD from Europe. I know the framerate will adapt depending on the source material, but I would like it to default to 50Hz. Seems to be a property of the .dtb?

kszaq - just a silly question, may be just my OCD traits coming out! In any of the remote.conf files I have seen, including the one that came with my Venz Pro 10, there is a data name / variable called "repeat_peroid" which I'm sure should be "repeat_period". Now I now that variables can be named anything, but has no-one ever tried to fix this misspelling :huh:

I haven't tried copying my SD card image (which is working 90+% well) to internal flash just yet. I do recall reading earlier in the thread that you may have to run "installtointernal" a second time to ensure the image is written correctly across the internal flash. Have you done this?

Many thanks for the comprehensive answers! I personally think that the built-in kernel support is probably a better way to go, rather than all that faffing about with lirc xml files and translating between scan codes and kodi actions. Once I had eventually discovered that lirc was not in use in your builds I presumed it was because of the availability of the AMLogic conf files. It's a much more direct way of mapping the actual remote to an internal code in linux. However, I suppose the lirc method provides a degree of hardware abstraction.

I'll continue my education on Android and review your code on Github. Again, thanks!

kszaq - a couple of questions for you if you don't mind :) Your Kodi Krypton builds are working well for me at the moment, so thanks for all your hard work.

1. I have been struggling with tweaking codes for my IR remote on my Venz V10 Pro (2GB / 16GB). Having first gone down the lirc route (as it works fine on my other media box which is x86-based and running libreelec Krypton alphas), I got very confused as irw wouldn't work for me and eventually I discovered that lirc wasn't even running and that the remote seemed to be being treated like a keyboard and was handled by the kernel directly. Can you confirm that on these AMlogic boxes lirc is no longer used and I shouldn't concern myself with it? I would have thought that this info would (should) be more readily highlighted on the Kodi IR remote guides? Anyway, I am gaining some traction by amending the scan codes in remote.conf (stored in /flash) to match my buttons to the correct actions in Kodi. There are only a few of them but include the back(exit/return) key amongst others. This is working well for me so far. However I noticed a couple of differences between my remote.conf and the one in /tmp. Are you "patching" some of the values, perhaps at startup? This info from your Jarvis build thread "fixed IR remote key code replacement script (e.g. remote button not working)" is leading me to believe this. Can I remove this script or override it if I wish? Is there a thread or other info you could point me to which would explain this newer way of handling remotes instead of using lirc?

2. I asked this question in the Jarvis thread, but it's so busy you may have missed it. I would like to know how the initial boot process on the box is patched to check the SD card / USB for the presence of a libreELEC image so that it boots in place of the Android system which is still installed on the internal flash. It's just my ignorance of Android showing!

After you run LE from SD card for the first time, your box will boot from SD card every time when the card is inserted unless you choose to reboot from internal. At that point the box will boot from internal only once.

Conclusion: to reboot from Android to LE simply reboot your box.
    [hr]

Thank you for the coffees. [emoji1]

There is no difference in WiFi drivers between the builds, it should work on both. Please post logs and I'll see what's wrong.

kszaq - wifi is working on Jarvis build. My apologies - I must have missed the settings in the previous test :blush:

After you run LE from SD card for the first time, your box will boot from SD card every time when the card is inserted unless you choose to reboot from internal. At that point the box will boot from internal only once.

I noticed this also. If the SD card remains inserted, the box will boot from it every time (no need for toothpick). If the SD card is not present it boots from internal flash. Is this a setting that is changed on internal when LE is run first time? I have almost zero experience with android, but have been using linux for some years so I understand how MBR/Grub bootloaders work.

kszaq - great work with the 008 build. I installed it on USB stick on my Venz V10 Pro (2GB RAM / 16GB flash). The manufacturer's android 6 build does not work well with Kodi properly (no multichannel PCM audio or DTS passthrough, no frame rate switching). Your build is pretty near perfect. No wifi on your Jarvis build, but that is not so important for me. Everything else is working well - multichannel audio, frame rate etc. Have tested 4k video and looks good - even on my non-UHD TV. Your Krypton build enables my wifi but was generally less stable (freezing requiring power cycle), so I have reverted to Jarvis for the moment. No sign of bluetooth functionality yet although the box says it supports it.

Have bought you some coffees via PayPal! Many thanks.