Posts by chewitt

It depends on the specific hardware. In some cases you can flash the firmware to be region free accepting any disc forevermore without extra input. In other cases the drive will still behave as if region locked; it will prompt for a region change and counts down the number of allowed region changes until zero is reached and it self-resets back to 5-6 attempts remaining (or whatever the magic number is). It's still rare to find region free drives, but these days there are numerous websites where you can acquire modified firmware and the flashing utilities needed.

I'd create a webpage that sends JSON-RPC commands to play specific media (from the local filestore) on a specific device. Kodi has a full API for that kind of thing - it's how the Android/iOS remote apps and WebGUI(s) are implemented. You can place media in a central location and use cron + rsync to run a nightly sync job to update local media.

The main factor is the hardware and what it's technically capable of playing. For example; Odroid C2 has an S905 chip (not S905X, S905D or other lettered variants). This means it can play 8-bit H.264 media and 8-bit or 10-bit H.265 (HEVC) media. It will not play 10-bit H.264 (it will try to software decode it, but the CPU can't cope) and it will not play 10-bit HEVC files with HDR encoding (as the original S905 doesn't support HDR). To get a more specific answer you'll need to share a Kodi debug log that shows the problem media being played. The log has information on the encoding (and other factors) and from there we can make more educated guesses on what the problems are. Sometimes it's unsupported media. Sometimes it's just badly encoded media.

I'm not sure what you really mean by narrowcasting .. but LE boots directly into Kodi, and using a simple autostart.py script you can start a playlist on Kodi startup. For stability and performance use an Ethernet and don't be tempted with wireless. Kodi can be controlled over CEC on most TV's (using the TV remote) and you can deliberately disable IR support (if the box has an IR sensor) to prevent visitors trying to control the boxes. We added an SSH console keyboard in the last couple of days (will be available in the next alpha).

Hope that helps.

You either have to fiddle with the partition sizes using gparted from another Linux LiveUSB (Ubuntu or similar) .. basically you shrink the storage partition and then grow the boot partition to a larger size. It's not hard but will take many hours. The alternative and usually faster option is to backup the existing contents of /storage then clean install and restore the backup. The LE settings addon has a backup/restore function.

There is no way to "cast" pics/video to Kodi (on LE, or any other distro or Kodi supported platform) since iOS 9.x was released (thanks Apple!) so the only thing you can do is copy them to a USB stick and connect it to the HTPC device. Or pick up an AppleTV for that purpose.

It's been a while since I flashed one, but the rough sequence (once you installed the CM drivers to Win7) is to connect the USB cable and wait for that device to be detected, then run the exe file and it detects the device, then power the box on and the memory will mount. According to the Pi Foundation site the exe should run automagically but it never happened for me - I always had to do it manually. At this point if the original Slice image used a FAT partition for boot stuff (it's a couple of years since I saw the original noobs config and I can't remember) it will be mount and you can copy over (overwrite) the boot files from the target folder of the .tar file. If not, the only option will be to flash the eMMC with our .img file which will nuke the existing install .. but the ease the pain of loss you get some extra space on the eMMC as noobs is no longer present. Flashing the eMMC won't touch the internal HDD if you have one installed.

NB: No idea what J4 is about so definitely not required.