Posts by chewitt

The problem with autostart is, it runs right at the start of userspace boot which is typically before everything else (including your scripts) ever gets touched. Best is to add some "logging" to your scripts (sending to /dev/console as described above) but schedule the scripts via systemd so they are ordered correctly in the startup sequence.

IIRC you will need to place a Font that contains the appropriate symbols into /storage/.kodi/userdata/Fonts/ and then select the font in the Kodi GUI. If you think it should be a permanent thing, open up a bug report in the Kodi forums and as their devs to add the missing symbols for whatever language it is (you didn't say) to the default Estuary font; and then we will pick up the inclusion in a future release.

1. Write LE image for RPi2 to SD card

2. Insert SD card in RPi2

3. Boot RPi2

4. Enable SSH in first run wizard (gives CLI that you don't need)

5. Leave Samba enabled in first run wizard (it's embedded, no need to install it)

^ Notice there is no mention of NOOBS, which is not needed or required.

dag There are probably no objections among the team to adding packages into the build-system to facilitate debugging when a DEBUG image is built, but they will not go into release images where 99.999999% of our userbase will never use them. I suspect you'll need to use a debug image anyway since we strip the binaries in release images.

Linux normally mounts filesystems read-only when problems are detected; we don't want to write data to already damaged disk structures as this may make problems worse. Mount the drive to Windows and run dskchk.exe to clear the problems, then eject the drive properly.

The Network Access Point Mode seems pretty unstable for me in this Beta. Do you already know that? Do you have the same bug? Is there a trick to solve the problem?

The main issue with the hotspot feature is user expectation. ConnMan provides a deliberately simple WiFi hotspot not a wireless access point. It is designed for tethering a laptop to a mobile phone. It was added to the distro by me so I could connect to Hotel WiFi and (via the hotspot) pass the WiFi password check to get the HTPC onto the internet and watch a movie via Plex. It works for that and similarly simple tasks, but it is not a network access point or router - if you want a router, get a router. The second issue is that RPi has a weak antennae which users often hobble further with cases that impair signals.

I'm not sure why the settings add-on would lose the region config .. but this is not used when running the access point (which has an internal harcoded config) and switching between hotspot/wifi modes may drop the setting.

You can use overlays, but these are compiled files so you cannot add a text file and use it. You need to make a kernel patch to add the overlay to the kernel (and compile it) and then include the overlay in the list of overlay files that are copied to the image. Then you can add the overlay to extlinux.conf and use it. There is plenty of prior-art for that in the Allwinner build-project.

Enabling EXT4 filesystem encryption config results in a kernel that supports EXT4 encrypted filesystems. You would still need to modify LE to use an encrypted EXT4 filesystem within the squashfs SYSTEM file. Adding fscryptctl adds a tool to manage encryption, but since this tool is inside a read-only file (SYSTEM) it will not be able to modify the active SYSTEM file. Making LE boot from an encrypted SYSTEM file is probably not impossible (but there is no how-to, so don't ask) but I wouldn't see any advantage to that approach over using sky42 images which can provide encyption to /storage where you can place any sensitive binaries/configuration/content.

Nor has it ever been stated that we will not have deinterlacing or that deinterlace is not important. There is just a finite amount of developer time, and that time is currently busy with figuring out 10-bit/12-bit plumbing and how to deal with some of the more base functional issues that we're seeing now that RPi4 (on V4L2) user numbers have ramped up.