Posts by jmooremcc

The PSU is a CanaKit 5V 2.5A Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Power Supply / Adapter (UL Listed)

I've attached the kodi log that was generated after the reboot.

I have 4 crash logs that were generated on 11/9/18. I will attach 2 more for your review.

If there are any settings that you could recommend that would improve the information in the log files, please let me know.

My RPi crashes randomly and reboots. I saved a crash log that recently occurred while the RPi was essentially idle.

The log indicated the following:

"

Using host libthread_db library "/usr/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

Core was generated by `/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd'.

Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.

#0 0x76f31b64 in memcmp () from /usr/lib/libarmmem.so

"

Is this a problem with /usr/lib/libarmmem.so? If so, what can be done to fix it?

I'm attaching the entire crash log for reference.

The LE staff have a generally low opinion on Realtek wireless devices. The hardware is probably reasonable, and performance on Windows is probably great because that's where they invest all the Engineering time. Their Linux drivers are an afterthought, and we're fed up with they way they breed chipsets and new drivers that rehash the same greatest-hits compilation of hacks over and over.

Find something that uses the ath9k driver, which is in-kernel and much higher quality code.

I've been unable to find a USB WiFI dongle that utilizes the ath9k driver and works with the 802.11ac standard. Everything I've found so far only meets the 802.11n standard and is not compatible with the 802.11ac standard.

For those of us who are using a Raspberry Pi and want to use the 5G band because there's less interference with other WiFI devices, it appears that Realtec devices are our only choice.

So chewitt, are you saying that the Edimax EW-7811UTC wifi dongle isn't any good?

Amazon users give it 3.7 stars out of 5 and New Egg users gives it 4 eggs out of 5.

So what do you recommend that will provide superior performance and can co-exist in an environment that has multiple channels with the same SSID?

I thought I would share my experience with everyone about using an ac600 wifi dongle with a raspberry Pi. I have multiple Raspberry Pi systems ranging from the PI1 to a PI2 running version 8.2.5. I have to confess that I got very frustrated dealing with the problems I was experiencing. I even bought a new router, a tri-band EA9300 by Linksys, capable of handling 4k streaming data and my RPi2 was still having great difficulty connecting.

Whenever I would try to connect to one of 5G channels, the PI2 would refuse to connect. So in frustration I decided to try the 2.4G channel. I put in the passphrase and everything was working just fine. But 10 minutes later, Kodi indicated that the connection had dropped and when I tried to re-establish the connection, the passphrase field was blank and required me to re-enter the passphrase once again. I tried over and over again to enter the passphrase only to have to repeat the process 10 minutes later.

As it turns out, the drivers used by LE on the RPi aren't sophisticated enough to deal with a network with identical SSIDs and I have more than one router with the same SSID. I changed the SSID of the 2.4G channel on the new router and was then able to connect successfully without the connection dropping.

With that success, I decided to try the 5G channel again. Unfortunately, the same problems surfaced again. I then realized that the EA9300, a tri-band router, gave both of its 5G channels the same SSID. So once again, the drivers in LE had problems connecting. I turned off the fancy "5GHz steering mode" on the router which allowed me to name each of the 5G channels individually. I was then able to connect to any of the available 5G channels with no problem.

So the moral of the story is that if you use multiple SSIDs with Kodi boxes powered by a Raspberry Pi, make sure that the SSIDs are uniquely named so that you can avoid the conflicts I ran into.

Nope. Our default config is wide open. It will change in LE9 so iptables restricts inbound connections to RFC1918 networks, but that still wouldn't explain why you cannot connect from a local network.

Hi chewitt,

I finally figured out what was going on. The Python interpreter in LE does not recognize the hostname 'localhost'. In my test script, changing host='localhost' to host='' fixes the problem.

My Windows version of Python 2.7 does not suffer from this problem. Yes, I can successfully ping 'localhost' from the command line but binding a socket with 'localhost' causes the connection refused error problem I reported.

So I did some research and discovered the iptables command that is suppose to control the firewall.

iptables -S shows no rules so I don't know why the RPi is rejecting the tcp connection.

Anyway, I issued the following command to add a rule:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 51000 -j ACCEPT

It appears that the rule is being ignored because it did not allow me to connect to the server code running on the RPi from my Windows PC that was running the client.

I ran the same test on my Ubuntu PC and it worked with no problem.

Any suggestions for resolving this issue will be greatly appreciated.

I'm developing a Python Kodi addon that utilizes a client/server model. The addon works under Windows but when I install it on my Raspberry Pi (LE 8.2.1), I get the following error:"tcp connection refused Error 10061". I ran netstat and could see that my socket was Listening on the port I assigned.

To eliminate anything with Kodi, I wrote a set of simple client/server scripts in Python clientServerTest.zip. I got the same error when I ran the server code from the command line on the RPi and tried to connect to it using the client script on an external computer. Again, netstat showed the port I used being listened to.

My question is how can I enable the tcp port I have chosen so that I can access my server? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Problem Solved:

I compared my 2 RPi systems and found that the problem child had an LE setting the good system didn't have: a timeserver setting. I've removed the timeserver setting and have rebooted the problem child 6 times and each time, the EPG time was correct.

Background:

RPi systems do not have a clock so when the internet is down, an RPi shows the time it was the LE software was compiled. My solution to this problem was to turn my back end NextPVR server, a Windows 10 desktop PC, into a time server for the RPi since it has a clock. The solution appeared to work well until Daylight Savings Time ended. I don't know if the problem would exist if I had specified an external time server. What I do know is that specifying the windows PC as a time server is problematic.

My epg has been off by an hour since we switched back to standard time.

I've tried uninstalling the nextPVR client and clearing the guide databases, rebooting and then installing nextPVR. The epg time is correct until I reboot Kodi and then it goes back to being one hour off.

Here's a link to my log: Kodi log (epg issue) 11/12/17 - Pastebin.com

By the way, I am running Kodi on 2 Raspberry Pi systems and only one of them has the epg time problem.

Their configurations are the same except one has more addons than the other and of course they are connected to different TVs.

The one with the additional addons is the problem child.

I'm in the U.S. eastern time zone and have never had this problem before. Any suggestions for resolving this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Since upgrading to LE 8.01 Krypton 17.1, I've had the perception that WiFi under Krypton 17.1 was slower than under Jarvis 16.1. Jarvis is running under OpenElec while Krypton is running under LibreElec.
    What specifically got my attention was the amount of time during startup that Kodi takes to load nextPVR channel/recordings data. It took a lot longer under Krypton for the data to load.
    I used the WiFi Speed Test Android app to conduct my tests. Kodi is running on a Raspberry Pi and is 8 feet from my router. I also have each version of Kodi on separate SD Cards.
    As you can see from the attached screen shot, Jarvis/OE WiFi does appear to run faster than Krypton/LE. Has anyone else run a similar test and if so, what were your results?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Did you pay for the mpeg license for your RPi? If you didn't you'll be relying on a software decoder instead of the hardware decoder which doesn't work as well. The hardware decoder frees the cpu for other important tasks which makes the decoding process more efficient.

I have to walk back my earlier comment about Estuary not lagging on a RPi. I upgraded another RPi system to LE 8 Krypton that I use more intensively. I noticed the slowness immediately especially when I use the Super favorites addon. So I tried an experiment. I did the unthinkable and loaded Confluence. It was immediately obvious how much faster Kodi Kroton runs with Confluence as the skin.
    Yes, there are some features of Estuary I like but the painful slowness I cannot tolerate.