Posts by trent

It's clearly a joke. It's just not clear whose joke.

Yes, I know it's a joke, I said this above.

But as part of the joke they have taken the support forum down, the add-on repo down, the download links. Which has caused problems for a lot of people, many of whom didn't even know of the ICE joke until after spending a hour troubleshooting.

It's just silly and poorly-executed. You can make the same joke without borking systems.

You can always rest one day without tv/kodi, spend time with friends, family on fresh air :)

That's fine if you know in advance it's a joke. A lot of people had botched updates, were trying to install skins, add-ons etc. Spent time trying to fix it, before going to kodi.tv and seeing that everything was offline as a 'joke'. There's nothing funny about wasted time trying to fix something to find out afterwards that the repos and download links have been deliberately pulled down as a joke.

It's a joke of course, but an ill-advised one because it's causing disruption and timewasting for a lot of users. There's people encountering problems due to the add-on repo being down, spending an hour trying to fix it on their side and only then going to kodi.tv and realising a dumb prank is underway.

A good joke should always be in good-spirits and not cause annoyance or trouble. This prank is like letting the air out of someones tyres, it's mean spirited and is causing disruption.

flash the CPU

I think the confusion arises because many people are familiar with firmware which is flashed onto some non-volatile memory in the hardware itself. The 'firmware update' is often risky or irreversible.

R-Pi hardware does not have any onboard non-volatile memory. So nothing to 'flash'. Firmware is just stored on SD card and loaded every time at boot.

Do you have one or more sources that are currently unreachable, going into a timeout?
    Or do the HDD's of your server need to spin up and fully awake..?

It looks like you might be correct and the delay is due to Kodi trying to access HDDs which are spun down.

Im not sure why that is though since these spun-down disks are excluded from the update process. And they are already scraped so any posters which pop up on Estuary home screen (random movies etc) should be coming from the local Kodi db.

I have a few ideas of things to check so I will investigate further..

Do you have one or more sources that are currently unreachable, going into a timeout?
    Or do the HDD's of your server need to spin up and fully awake..?

The HDDs which are inside the scope of the library update don't spin down. Also the server doesn't sleep.

I have other HDDs with library content which do spin down but in the Kodi settings these disks are excluded from the library update since they are full and no new content will be added.

So I don't think the delay is related to HDD spin up. Unless there is a bug in Kodi which causes it to query excluded folders during the library update.

But I will test it by disabling spin down entirely on every disk and report back.

Thanks.

Hi,
    I run an automatic library update on bootup and approx once per day the update sits on "preparing....0%" for approx 20-25s before anything happens.

After this 20-25s delay it it proceeds as normal (finishes in ~5s). Thereafter I usually can't replicate the delay until a day later.

In this example there is a 22s gap from 20:34:52 until 20:35:14 with no indication of what it's doing for this timeframe. This corresponds to the frozen "Preparing - 0%" dialogue.

Is there any indication here what is causing the delay/hang ? Is it related to CheckIdle - Closing session to addons.libreelec.tv ?

I use "wait for network before starting Kodi" so I don't think it's related to that (it never waits for more than 1-2s).
    There's no funny add-ons and it's a recently clean install.

Thanks

Estuary loads and displays a lot of images on the homescreen (thumbs/posters) so for sure it will seem a little slower than Confluence on a low performance system.

By default Estuary does some slide in/out animation for menu transitions, consider disabling this for slow systems.

Consider a movie list view that does not need to load/render a lot of images every time you scroll. The wall view for example shows 12 posters on screen, whereas some other views only show 4 or 8 or whatever. Consider disabling background fanart because in Estuary you can't really see it very well anyway.

Also you say you are using mySQL - RPi has only fast ethernet and ethernet and SD card reader are on same USB 2.0 bus.

It's possible (or at least it was last time I checked) with some difficulty. LibreELEC has libaacs, libbluray, libbdplus. You need to supply your own keydb. There is also some way to do it via makemkv plugin.

But it will be a hassle, many discs will not work, some menus will be buggy etc. To be honest I would just buy a cheap Bluray player. OR, rip discs (removing encryption) on your PC first using one of several possible solutions, then just play in LE as a media file.

You are connected to amp via HDMI so you don't need transcode to AC3. HDMI can send multi-channel LPCM.

In any case you only have two speakers, so the entire issue is irrelevant.

Please read again: The main purpose of transcode to AC3 is for when you want to send multiple discrete channels to an amp, but are using spdif (optical/coax) connection.

You are doing neither so you simply have no need for this option.

Most USB 5V power supplies are not designed to be used as 24/7 power supplies.

That doesn't mean you cannot use them, it just means the component quality - particularly the electrolytic capacitors - was chosen based on an expected usage of maybe 2-3hrs per day (to charge a phone etc). And you are using it 24hrs per day. So of course the life will be shorter. The designer of an intended power supply expects it to be used 24/7, therefore he chooses better components.

I would expect the official RPi power supply to use better components than your typical generic charger but I have never opened one up to verify that.

Ok think u have everything set up right but not sure about the transcode option. When would it be an advantage to use this with respect to AAC? I have a modern AV Amp that can handle all the usual formats. Would putting the transcode option on mean that AAC tracks would get converted to AC3?

The purpose of transcode to AC3 is for when you want 5.1 multi-channel out to an amp, but are using spdif (optical/coax) connection.

Spdif only supports multi-channel via AC3 or DTS. So this is the only way you can get 5.1 to your amp from a multi-channel AAC, LPCM, Opus, etc source.

There are some other reasons why you might want to do it. Usually related to specific equipment quirks/limitations. For example; some TVs will passthrough an 5.1 AC3 signal but not 5.1 DTS. One of my TVs has some dumb thing where it will passthrough only a "DTS 2:5 Neo" signal, not a full DTS 5.1 signal. So in this case I might prefer to convert to AC3 in order that a surround signal reaches my amp.

You should describe your setup (connections, signal chain etc) in detail and post your FULL Kodi audio settings.

The Kodi audio settings are not particularly intuitive and most likely you simply have a wrong setting.

AAC passthrough is not supported any more so with AAC soundtracks Kodi must decode first, then you have a choice between output the PCM or convert to AC3.