Posts by g7ruh

I have noticed a "bug": there is a single green LED light on the left side that is on all of the time.

Hi okichatan,

I have noticed the same sometimes. The only way I have found to 'cure' it, well make it go away for a while, is to removed the power plug from the Slice or the 'wall wart' from the wall. If it does not work first time, power down again and remove power. Seems to work then.

I recall that the Slice folks thought it was a saved state which did not always get reset at power on / reset.

Hopefully that helps you.

regards

Roger

Here we go again

LE9.0.2 builds (Kodi18.2) are ready for testing, could you pls test if it starts/works (we are sadly low at slice hw so we can't properly test it)

Index of /test/slice/

:thumbup:

Hi CvH, Slice 3 downloads, updates and loads fine. Will continue testing (flac music and internet radio only on this Slice).

Edit: tested Slice 3 on my other box, plays video fine too :)

Keep up the good work,

regards

Roger

Heat Sink ? I remember lots of discussions and trials on the now-defunct slice forum and in this forum

okichatan

as chewitt says it needs a bit of work and the CM3+ will need a slightly thinner heatsink (fatter CPU because of the silver top). The easy solution is as chewitt suggests, get a stick-on one. I found that it still did not really remove enough heat, especially when playing video, so I adopted the DIY approach. While the measurement of the sink needs to be fairly accurate, there is a slight bit of "give" if you press on the CPU so there is a small amount of lattitude when making one.

There were a lot of different designs using bits of copper, I recall one was using buss-bar from a consumer distribution unit.

I used a copper core from an old PC CPU cooler and while not the best at heat transfer, using an aluminium plate, fixing it to the case with epoxy resin glue and letting it sit on the CPU with some heatsink compound works fine. The combination of Cu and Al gave "just the right" size to bridge the gap. The plate is fixed so it prevents the sink being dislodged and doing damage inside.

I attach a picture of the parts. The kaptan tape was used to position the sink and the heatsink compound was used to check contact with the CPU before finalising the design. You can use heatsink compound to help measure the gap, when it transfers to the case or CPU you have it "just right".

I hope that gives you an idea of how to do it.

Roger

Is it worth upgrading to CM3 for audio only use?

nick123456

I used the CM1 for audio and it worked fine.

I upgraded to CM3 and the GUI interface and general responsiveness is much better. Worth the effort, I think, as the user experience is much smoother and faster, with less jerky screen / pointer movement. However the CM3 really needs a bit of cooling and a number of folks have "stuck a lump of copper"*** between the CM3 CPU and the case which keeps it running much cooler. Less of an issue for audio, almost mandatory for video.

If the sluggish user interface (compared with a CM3) is not an issue, I agree with chewitt If it is not broken, don't fix it.

Roger

*** Technical term, the actual solution was, in most cases, a little more refined :) (pun intended)

LE9 Beta 2) 8.95.002 builds (Kodi18 RC4) are ready for testing, could you pls test if it starts/works (we are sadly low at slice hw so we can't properly test it)

Index of /test/slice/

Hi CvH

Loaded fine on my slice and seems to work fine on the headless music player using VNC as the remote screen.

Also loaded on the main media player Slice with HDMI screen, video and music play as expected.

Roger

(LE9 Beta 1) 8.95.001 builds (Kodi18 RC3) are ready for testing, could you pls test if it starts/works (we are sadly low at slice hw so we can't properly test it)

Index of /test/slice/

Tested 8.95.001 on the Slice

I use it head-less with VNC for music. That works fine (after I updated the add-on :) Turned auto update for the add-on on!)

Downloaded Confluence skin, both that and Estuary seem to work fine in a short test.

I will use this build now for more extensive testing on the Slice

Thanks for all the hard work

Roger

updates and boots fine.

Mouse and keyboard work fine with multimedia kbd/mouse

I use UltraVNC as the GUI as the Slice is headless. My computer keyboard works fine. The mouse does not work. The pointer appears at the last place it was left using the multimedia keyboard / mouse. The ultraVNC mouse pointer appears when mouse button clicked and then goes away after a short while.

If no mouse has been connected to the Slice since boot, the mouse pointer is at top left. It appears on mouse click and goes after a short while.

removing the dongle for the MM keyboard and rebooting Slice and the bug is still there.

Reverted to previous release version.

Slice using CM3

Roger

The same problem exists on V8.9.008 and V8.9.009 on a Pi 3+ with IQ audio.

VNC mouse pointer is not working but mouse works fine when direct attached.

Roger

Is there an update from 8.2.3 to 8.2.5 for the Slice after the problems with 8.2.4 and 8.2.5 were reported? The download page still offers 8.2.3 for Slice but my Pi boxes have 8.2.5 on them.

thanks,

Roger

Do you get anything at all for Fast Rewind? I don't.

Kevin,

Happy to help, bit too wet in the garden at present, and this is a pleasant diversion from what I should be doing inside :)

I confirm I do not see a Fast Rewind either, function OK no LED pattern on both my Slice3 units. I wonder if the pattern file has the wrong name? Chewitt??

After a power off reset on my main box, everything seems to work as it should (fast rewind excepted).

chewitt: I notice that the power off sequence on the other Slice3 (main box) is a little different, it only does the sequence once quite fast and never gets to the end before the power drops. They have different HDDs in them, the main box (a full fat Slice, gunmetal) has a standard issue HDD (Toshiba, I think). The Slice Lite has a Western Digital HDD. Maybe this is the reason for the different pattern?

Roger