Posts by cosmos

If it might help someone, checking what is different from the wiki (and what I basically followed) for the C2 case, it seems that the instructions for intel-based installations need a couple of modifications for C2 systems:

1) An addition perhaps should be made that extlinux.conf might be available as /flash/extlinux/extlinux.conf instead of /flash/extlinux.conf

2) Most importantly, contents of extlinux.conf should not include the initrd=/edid.cpio part, otherwise the system will panic at boot.

Just ran it: displayed a "using existing edid" but nothing more. Upon closer inspection, it seems the script exits at line 20 for some reason (even though the script enters /storage/cpio succesfully). Modified that line to do a cd alone.

Now the script produced:

Code
    info: using existing edid.bin
    info: edid setup complete!

... and /flash/extlinux/extlinux.conf:

Code
    LABEL LibreELEC
     LINUX /KERNEL
     FDT /meson-gxbb-odroidc2.dtb
     APPEND boot=LABEL=LIBREELEC disk=LABEL=STORAGE systemd.debug_shell=ttyAML0 console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 drm.edid_firmware=edid/edid.bin video=HDMI-A-1:D

And it worked!!!! Cheers mate!!! :)

This is related to Odroid C2 on 11.0.1: switching tv to 24fps? where I was trying to get my C2 switch to 1080p24, even though it is not normally detected by EDID? Followed the Intel-related instructions in https://wiki.libreelec.tv/configuration/edid#intel however during boot the boot process is stopped with the error message specified in the subject and described in length in my older thread.

Has anyone on C2 been able to successfully use these instructions, in order to boot with a modified EDID file? If not, then there's obviously something different on C2 boots, otherwise I'll need some help figuring what I'm doing differently here...

My C2 board has been given a significant extension of time with the AMLGX driver provided by your team. THANK YOU! H.264 material plays almost perfectly, very rarely do I manage to freeze playback by doing a lot of forward/backward seeks. H.265 seeking though is problematic "maybe 7 out of 10", as described in the Amlogic AMLGX build release notes. Unfortunately, I can't even attain that seven (unless of course YMMV holds; my C2 is inferior to other AMLGX-suitable SBCs out there): either seeking, or switching audio channel (lots of anime watching with my son) makes the video freeze (in seldom case have Kodi restarts) in 90% of the time.

Usually I just press stop and play again. Keeping fingers crossed that it will be able to play after seeking to the point I was watching.

Add to the seek problems a lot of artifacting I do not see on a pal's RPi4 LE11 or on my own LE11 pc-based build, but that exists on specific anime releases (usually 1080p 10bit ones), especially when there is camera panning.

Do you know any devs had time/interest to look into these issues, in order to improve things on the upcoming LE12?

Check this: When your LE box is off, go to TV's sound menu, and set "SPDIF Selection" to "Auto".

Problem is that under the tv sound options, Audio Preference and SPDIF appear solely when viewing tv and not when switched to HDMI #1. Upon closer inspection, in the manual ( https://www.manua.ls/panasonic/tx-p50ut50e/manual?p=41 ) it is stated that:

(with regard to the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT and HDMI2 (ARC function) terminals

[...]

* For DVB mode or video contents of Media Player / Network services

Which prolly means I'm screwed here :) No way to send DD from an HDMI source to optical. Probably Panasonic understood its bummer and evolved this functionality in more recent tv sets (as yours, I presume)...

VLouis thanks mate, yes I am aware of the steps needed. Cost was off-setting me TBH, and the solution proposed by petediscrete would definitely be preferable. Will continue looking for a USB-to-Toslink 5.1 solution.

If only I could get rid of my Yamaha and B&W speakers, I'd go for an HDMI soundbar and get done with it :)

chewitt do you know if the intel-related instructions for EDID regarding LE 11.0.1 are actually applicable on C2? Just wondering since I do believe I've followed them correctly but ending with a kernel panic...

Apologies for that, I've already wasted a lot of your time with this one but it feels I'm almost there... :(

EDIT: There's a minor correction btw in the part regarding HDMI-A-2 and specifically how the line should look after appending sys/extlinux.conf. It's missing the initrd=/edid.cpio part.

Coming to my own issue, could the fact that extlinux.conf is not in /flash but in /flash/extlinux/extlinux.conf create the panic? I don't think so, since edid.cpio in specified to be in the root during boot (the /flash dir perhaps) and the drm.edid_firmware is possibly a reference to the overlayed firmware dir, but just saying.

That's correct. Specifically, it shows up as ALSA device HDA Intel PCH, MEI Panasonic-TV on HDMI #0. I'm using the same device as the passthrough device as well. I'm posting my audio setup (sorry if it's all Greek to you :D ).

With the posted settings I get audio only on 2.0 sources (IIRC). Furthermore, with passthrough enabled in Kodi and with multichannel sources, when I press "O" to show playback information it shows that the source audio is "RAW, RAW, RAW..." etc, instead of "FL, FR, ..."

I also have a Panasonic Plasma, just with TOSLINK instead of electrical S/PDIF. Works fine with my DD / DTS AVR. So I pretty much have the same setup like you. I go RPi HDMI -> TV and TV TOSLINK -> AVR. That should also work for S/PDIF.

Don't bash me please, but isn't S/PDIF the same with TOSLINK? :angel:

Indeed this is a TOSLINK (optical) interface and not a coaxial. My tv model is (again IIRC) TX-P50UT50E, dated 2012ish or something.

Connection of my Dell to the TV is made over the non-ARC HDMI. And from TV over toslink to the Yamaha A2.

In your setup are you able to pass-through DD 5.1 data from the RPi to the TV and then to the amp? Whenever I try that I don't get any sound at all on the other end.

AFAIK RPi does nothing special compared to a pc, apart from doing CEC and stuff (which should not be relevant in this case at all). What sort of debugging from SSH could I do to check things up? I really hope that having a similar TV/setup you might be able to help me out.

In the meantime I was looking solutions from aliexpress like these one, but don't know if they do the trick:

* https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32955530378.html

* https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000244824209.html

<off topic>Who should I contact to check why I do not get email notifications on thread answers (even though the relevant option is enabled)? </off topic>

Seems like your Panasonic S/PDIF can only deliver stereo. So get an HDMI audio splitter with TOSLINK. It's not too expansive.

Digging around in the tv documentation and making a few tests seems to indicate that the tv s/pdif can also send DD multichannel, albeit from TV stations only (and not from HDMI inputs) :(

For the record, I did find an oooold addon that did conversion to analog Dolby ProLogic. Unfortunately it's a no go for recent Kodi versions. Would be nice to test though.

As for HDMI splitters: they are tried and tested but IIRC when using them with RPi's there were some issues with the correct transfer of EDID information.

Something like this would probably fit the bill https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cubilux-TOSLIN…600288957&psc=1

That's awesome, especially since it seemed it worked fine on Linux, considering the comments! Pity it's not available for purchase :( Could you provide any alternatives to that. I live in Greece, so everything from amazon.de (.fr/.it/.es) could be purchased easily.

Funny thing is that I've been searching and searching in aliexpress for example and could not find anything (apart from expensive DACs and HDMI splitters).

Apologies for the somewhat cryptic title. I have a notoriously old setup with a 10 year tv and a beasty 25-year old (!) Yamaha A2 amplifier. Up to some days ago, my needs in the living room were served by a (also old) AMD-based pc that was equipped with an optical output. Setup worked like a charm: video was sent to the Panasonic 50" plasma over HDMI and LE was configured to transcode anything multichannel to 5.1 DD (amp also is 5.1 DTS capable).

The rig went dead and was replaced with a rather cheap Dell optiplex 3050 ultra small form factor thingie, lovable to watch :) I migrated my LE setup to the new box and everything works perfectly (plus having a UEFI boot).

Problem is that it lacks an optical digital out. Luckily the Panasonic behemoth comes with an S/PDIF out which, at least, makes sure that I can get excellent audio ... albeit in stereo.

Now I'm certain that it is not doable, but have to ask: is there some sort of "magic" that can be used to send multichannel audio to the TV and have the TV just pass the audio to the amp. From what I've tested this does not work. Still, I'm asking just in case it can be made with some sort of tinkering.

For what this is worth, I'm looking into workaround. So far:

* buy some sort of HDMI splitter boxes that take HDMI and output both HDMI and S/PDIF: work but a bit pricey

* was looking into whether small form factor PCI cards with S/PDIF exist, until I found out that the Dell has no room for cards at all

* currently checking whether I can get a USB card that also has S/PDIF without spending a fortune

* will look whether there's some sort of Dolby ProLogic transcoder for Kodi exists: if it does I'll simply transcode everything multichannel to the special stereo signal for ProLogic.

Please free to suggest any inexpensive solutions (if any) :)

https://wiki.libreelec.tv/configuration/…ration-advanced has instructions (also needing update) on capturing and creating a custom IR config. The bit that needs updating is that the config file format has changed to "toml" .. but if you look at the wiki instructions and compare to the toml files in /usr/lib/udev/rc_keymaps/ the new format is pretty simple to crib.

Mission accomplished on this part just by doing an ir command and creating a one-liner file that referred to an existing rc-6 MCE remote! Thanks Chewitt :)

I still can't figure out what produces the kernel panic. It still displays beautifully but being a limited device without active cooling it would be nice to lower its load by avoiding doing 24 to 60fps conversions.