Posts by Kshi

yeah did open the box and saw the reset button on the board.
    So I tried pressing the reset and put back on the power but nothing happens it just restarts into android ( sometimes it freezes at x96 )
    The gx1_p212 I change to dtb.img ( that's what I do right change the name from gx1_p212.dtb ) and than put it on the usb after I burned it to the usb.

Will try another usb and see if that helps. ( any idea maybe on how long I should be holding the reset button ? )

AFAIK only 1 of the 2 usb ports will likely work. Honestly though, I've never tried to install on my box using a USB stick. I've always used the microSD.

Hello,

Can someone please help me on the steps how I can install libreelec on my X96 S905X ?
    I tried those steps but nothing worked and really want to intall this instead of the original android 6.0 on the box.
    I tried with usb nothing happens ( there is no reset button either )

I'm sorry if I made a wrong thread but would really like the help.

Thank you so much.

Your reset button is in the AV port. You have to use the toothpick method. Use a wooden toothpick to push the button inside and hold while you power up the box. Follow the instructions under SD card/USB drive section on this page. There is a link to the USB drive/SD card preparation in that section as well.

FWIW, The DTB you'll want to use is the gx1_p212 (1g or 2g, depending on how much ram your box has) from this link.

Installed the 32bit version on my X96 2G/16G. Very noticeable improvements in performance over the .008 build I had installed previously. No more cracks and pops - I didn't really pay much attention to the popping before but it's very noticeable now that it's gone.

Thanks once again, kszaq, for all your hard work! I forgot to ask earlier, but did you get the coffee(beer) I sent you?

Excellent! Thanks once again. Everything works wonderfully on the 8.0.0 build except BT, which isn't a big deal. I'll try the Nov 30th 7.0.2 build tomorrow.

Hi, I'm new here, and I don't know that's good place to leave this message.
    Yesterday I receive my new tv box -X96 2GB/16GB. But when I receive it, it wasn't boot correctly.Just only black screen and blue led flashing. Today I made a android update that I downloaded from the net, but when device boot up, I saw that I have only 4 GB internal storage and 2 GB Ram (thats ok). Can anyone advice me some solution how to recover missing 12 GB of internal flash?
    I found two firmwares - for 1GB/8GB version and mine, but I think that I flashed wrong version and now I cant repartition my box by flashing correct update file. Maybe it's related to dtb.img? How and from I can obtain it?
    Please help :huh:

I have the same box as you. I used kszaq's gxl_p212_2g.dtb as my dtb.img. Follow kszaq's instructions on the original post for SD card/USB drive installation and you should be good. Once you've confirmed everything works use the installation instructions for Internal memory (NAND/eMMC)

You've just made my day, sir. So nice to get wifi working on this box. This is fantastic progress! :D

Thank you very much!

OK, so I've restored my stock ROM from cyx_m8s_v8.6_bcm4335_8g2g_kodi_addons_160125_SD.zip, are you saying I should use a recovery app from Android or that once I have restored stock ROM then I should boot into recovery and apply the LibreELEC update?

Thanks

I'm not sure if this will be useful to your situation but I installed LE using TWRP recovery.
    You have to rename the above linked file to recovery.img and copy it to an SD card and then boot into the TWRP recovery using the toothpick method.

On a separate USB flash drive I unzipped Begicj's linked LE zip, which should put 2 files on said drive:

• LibreELEC-Amlogic.arm-M8S-7.0.2-update.zip
    • factory_update_param.aml

Once you're in TWRP recovery, install the above .zip that you copied to your usb flash drive.

Thank you very much! It's great to have a version of LE that I can install on this device, even without the Wifi and BT.

Hi!
    First off, I'm sorry to jump in with my issue here, but I've seen other people with similar S812 devices being redirected toward this thread.

I have an OTT M8S (S812) 2G (clone, I assume) with bcm4335. full image here

I've had no success getting any of LE builds I've tried to successfully install on this device, as it appears that they're all built for the AP6330.
    For the sake of reference, I've tried this build: MEGA, Drieschel's Build mentioned here: LibreELEC as well as balbes150's build: S6KtL-SVuHcLq, with no success. I either get stuck in a boot loop, frozen on the AML Boot logo or simply stuck on a black screen with no LED lit on the box itself.

Here is a link to the box's stock firmware, where BT, Wifi & Lan all work: cyx_m8s_v8.6_bcm4335_8g2g_kodi_addons_160125_SD.zip
    I've also extracted the dtd from that firmware: OTT_M8S_4335.dtd

I'm more than happy to serve as a guinea pig to get a working version of LE for this device. If anyone is willing to help, I'd be most grateful.

Kshi Your device has Realtek 8189ETV chip with no Bluetooth. At least that's what I can read from your dmesg.

Boy, that's embarrassing... :blush: My apologies... I seemed to recall when I purchased the box that the specs had BT 4 listed. I put LE on the box as soon as it arrived (after making a TWRP backup) so I didn't even bother with Android to check everything. Reviewing the seller's ad clearly confirms your findings (and that my memory is rubbish). :blush:

Well, as I swallow my pride, I can happily report that so far the dev build works exactly as it should on my box.

Cheers.

Back button will be fixed (in fact it is already fixed in dev build). The firmware for Bluetooth is included, it should work. Have you tried enabling Bluetooth in LE settings? Also can you give me a result of cat /sys/bus/sdio/devices/*/device && cat /sys/bus/sdio/devices/*/vendor if it doesn't work?

With my X96 (S905X using p212 2g dtb with either 008 or recent dev), enabling Bluetooth returns no adapter found.
    The Results of cat /sys/bus/sdio/devices/*/device && cat /sys/bus/sdio/devices/*/vendor provide:
    vendor
    0x8179
    0x024c

Dmesg results link: JRbR if that is also of any use.

Cheers!

Thank you everyone for testing the devel build. In 2016-10-18 build removed hardware demux patch and added a change to allow playing very high bitrate videos.

Now let's try another dev build that has both: hardware demux buffering and a fix for high bitrate stuttering. I believe it also has no video/audio sync issue but I leave it for you to evaluate:
    LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20161018215738-r23396-g605a453.img.gz

People with "back key" issue can also try this, I think I finally fixed it - forgive me as I'm still learning sed. :D

Thanks kszaq!

Works very well on my X96 S905x 2G/16G. No audio/video sync issues. No high bitrate stuttering

The only problem (that isn't really a problem) is no Bluetooth found for my box's variant of hardware. Wifi works like a champion though.

Thanks again! :D