Posts by fezster

Damn I just no noticed that on the back of the TV the HDMI just says ARC not eARC. Coulbe it be that the TV does only support ARC and not eARC? The TV model is QE55Q70RATXXH. I could not verify if it is eARC capable

54.6" Samsung QE55Q70R - Specifications
    Specifications of Samsung QE55Q70R. Display: 54.6 in, VA, Direct LED (Full-Array Local Dimming), 3840 x 2160 pixels, Brightness: 400 cd/m², Static contrast:…
    www.displayspecifications.com

4 x HDMI 2.0 (ARC; CEC)

If you compare to another display with eARC, it will have a line saying "Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)": https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/c8ae3202

Well some interesting results with PS176 and mcdp2900 based LSPCons.

The PS176 product has no HDR support otherwise behaves impeccably. The mcdp2900 supports HDR and all refresh rates but is the only product after the audio patch which fails to playback bitstream audio and suffers from the same limited multichannel PCM support as the VMM7100. fezster Was the first converter you tried Megachips based?

I'm not sure - could not really find much info on it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07…e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nightlies just went to 6.6.31 for RPi; hopefully the generic kernel will be updated soon too.

If you could confirm any behaviour differences for refresh rate and PCM channel support when using the 8K input on your Denon that would be really useful.

I tried this. The Denon input options are also set to "8k Enhanced". If I set to just "Enhanced", then the behaviour is the same as my CBL/SAT (non-8k) input.

Firstly, I have an HDMI switch before my Denon, and using the 8k input in 8k Enhanced mode, I could not get LibreElec to show any output. My Sky Q works fine.

Connected directly from LibreElec to the 8k input.

Following refresh rates worked at 4k: 60/59.94/50/30/29.97/25/24.

Following refresh rates did not work at 4k: 23.98. This means 4k/24p switching does not work (I get no output).

I confirmed the channel mappings for 3.0/4.0 etc all worked as expected in all scenarios.

HTH.

I didn't use drm-tip, I just picked the single fix patch from GitHub and dropped it and the HDMI (alsa) reorder patch in packages/linux/patches and rebuilt the image; along with a general bump to RPi ffmpeg 6.1.1 sources which is in my Amlogic dev branch.

Using actual drm-tip probably isn't too hard, but you'll probably need to pull sources from GitHub or GitLab using a githash instead of using a release number. See how the Amlogic sources are handled for Linux; it'll be similar.

I can confirm the HD Audio/LSPCON fix is working as part of Kernel 6.6.31. The change seems slightly more involved than the single line patch file, but works as expected.

kernel/git/stable/linux.git - Linux kernel stable tree

This image contains the patch from drm-tip (which was no issue to backport onto the LE kernel sources) and the channel allocation reorder patch that was suggested with RPi recently: https://chewitt.libreelec.tv/testing/LibreE…_64-12.80.0.tar

Let me know if the issue is resolved and/or whether the 4.0 > 5.1 workaround is required?

chewitt I am currently building 12.0.0 and would like to apply the drm-tip patch myself. Would you be able to tell me the steps to do this?

EDIT - Found your post here: What is the right way to apply a patch to a dts while building

Seems I can download the patch and put it under projects/Generic/linux/patches. Will give this a go when my build completes.

Would be interesting to know if your setup works with PCM 2.1/3.0/4.0/4.1/5.0. I think that issue might be a plain bug in the VMM7100 firmware.

Are there test files available for download? I can try them. (Ignore that - I have these already: https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/…t_every_format/)

Might be worth you trying the Cable Matters adapter? Although it's the same chipset, could be an implementation difference.

I'm using the Club3D version currently with the latest Cable MAtters firmware but AFAIK they are identical.

Let me know if yours works with 4K/24 and 4K/30 (Currently mine does not). Best test with the default firmware before upgrading too.

Got the CableMatters adapter. Below info is using Chewitt's build. With the standard build, I lose picture if I try to play any HD audio stream. I can still stop the video and it returns to the GUI. With my Benfei adapter, I still got picture and garbled audio with HD audio streams.

First off - It works with 4k/24 refresh rate switching.

Also, both DTSHD-MA and TrueHD do passthrough. However, seeing some oddities and maybe need to play around a little bit more. After stopping a movie, it randomly* (see note below) loses audio, even when back in the Kodi GUI. So far, nothing but a reboot seems to fix it (EDIT - I can do "systemctl restart pulseaudio" to get audio back without rebooting).

*note - It has only lost audio when I've turned off refresh rate switching. I.e. used 4k/60, but I will try it some more at 4k/24 permanently.

The log where it's normal and audio works:

The log when I lose audio (bolded the relevant part):

So some success, at least.

chewitt Thank you for the build. This build also fixes HBR audio bit streaming for me. Atmos, DTS:X, hi-res HBR and every bit stream format I tried worked perfectly so that is a big step forward for this setup. sky42 I saw you tested LSPCon DP to HDMI 2.1 adapters and had what sounded like the same HBR audio issue as me, does Chewitt's build above fix the issue for you?

Interesting. So maybe the Optiplex 3050 / Benfei adapter I am using are not the same LSPCon chipset?

Benfei adapter I have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07…e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The way I tried Chewitt's build was to create a standard LibreElec bootable USB and then copied the files from the tar onto the USB stick. I definitely get his version and name on startup in the top right hand corner, so pretty certain I've done that part right.

Just to be sure, I applied the tar file using the .update folder. However, got the same result. I've attached below the dmesg output and lspci output. Let me know if there's any other useful info I can pull.

dmesg:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

lspci -vvv:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

To summarise working (non-HD passthrough) vs not working (HD passthrough):

To confirm I'm using Chewitt's build:

2024-05-24 11:24:00.724 T:916 info <general>: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2024-05-24 11:24:00.724 T:916 info <general>: Starting Kodi (21.0 (21.0.0) Git:21.0-Omega). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit
    2024-05-24 11:24:00.724 T:916 info <general>: Using Release Kodi x64
    2024-05-24 11:24:00.724 T:916 info <general>: Kodi compiled 2024-05-24 by GCC 14.1.0 for Linux x86 64-bit version 6.6.30 (394782)
    2024-05-24 11:24:00.724 T:916 info <general>: Running on LibreELEC (chewitt): 12.80.0 13.0, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 6.6.30

Thanks - same issue for me though using DTS-HD MA audio.

Debug log here:

This log might be more relevant:

I tried to patch Libreelec but there were far too many other code changes in drm-tip and although the patch applied the compile failed due to other missing elements referenced in the patch. I'm not in a big hurry for now and will use Windows until the patch hopefully makes it to Kernel/Libreelec.

Krobar Help me understand the post here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/i915/kernel/-/issues/10819

It has already been picked up by v6.6 and v6.8

LibreElec 12 is based on Kernel version 6.6.x. Should this fix not already be included?

Todays build of drm-tip that contains the patch above fixes the issue for me:
    https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/i915/kernel/-/issues/10819

FYI fezster

I guess it will be some time until this fix makes it way into drm-tip to drm-next to a stable kernel.

Hi Krobar. This sounds great.

Is there any documentation on how to use this patch and apply to Libreelec?

Ignore - I see your post on https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=375819. If it cant be used on LibreElec, I'll leave for now. For me, multichannel LPCM is working fine (and I dont have Atmos speakers), so not critical for me to get this working until it's more readily available. Great find though!