Posts by Champ222

hi all

Ive just updated my n2820 nuc which worked fine, to a NUC6CAYH. This decodes hevc, which the last one doesn't.

Im having some trouble with the audio bitstreaming. Dts and dolby digital seem to work ok, but the lossless ones dont. I get no audio.

Ive updated the bios and ive updated the hdmi firmware.

Ive searched around and found others with audio issues on this NUC. There is some mention of an audio dsp setting in bios, that i dont have, and some talk about a "blacklist" which i dont understand. This was years ago though, and there was talk of adding the fix into libreelec, so surely this has been fixed by now?

If i change the audio settings to fixed, from optimised, i get audio, but no bitstreaming, i just get multi channel in on the AV receiver.

Ive noticed that when the audio doesnt play, the refresh rate change happens a few seconds after the video starts. It should do this right at the beginning. Not sure if this gives any clues.

Any ideas?

Thanks

hint (in case you want to run windows on the nuc in some years):

from time to time Intel declares their hardware as unsupported and immediately removes the support pages (Windows driver !)

Thats a bit stupid. Thanks for the advice.

x86 build with HDR support is here (build updated a couple of weeks ago) - LE11 HDR builds for Intel and AMD

It's what I used as my daily driver on Gemini Lake N5000. No stability issues as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for the info

Hi All

I'm currently using a DN2820 Bay Trail NUC, with 2GB ram and a 30GB SSD for libreelec 9. It has served me very well. I use it through an AV receiver into a 1080p Plasma. I only use it for local playback from a server connected via ethernet. More recently ive tried it with emulators using the IAGL. Mixed results, though due to issues with the emulator setups, when it works, it works fine. i havent had a lot of time to fiddle with it.

Anyway, H 265/HEVC playback is sometimes a bit choppy, so i thought is about time i upgrade the nuc with something that properly handles HEVC, and that can do 4k, as and when the plasma breaks down and needs replacing.

Ive got a NUC 5i5RYK not being used, but i dont think that decodes HEVC either. i could sell that on and use the cash towards something new.

Looking around, i can get a NUC6CAYH, the Apollo lake nuc for pretty cheap used, with, say 4GB ram and an SSD thrown in. Ive seen them sell for £75-£80

I could repurpose the 2820 in the bedroom upstairs, or sell it on and get another newer NUC.

By the time ive bought a new RP4, PSU, CASE, IR receiver, storage etc, it wont be any cheaper than a used NUC6. a quick look at used prices for RP4, are more than new? suggests RP4s are out of stock... i havent really looked into it.

Getting a used NUC7CJYH instead probably wouldnt cost me much more. if i'm patient. The NUC7 looks like it might handle 4k better? ive seen them sell for £75-£90 ish

The NUC7 is still available new, at around £120. Id need some RAM and an SSD, but if i did that, id also consider the new NUC11ATKC2 which is the same price. Newer hardware, so might be more future proof regarding HDR (though personally i dont see what all the fuss is about for HDR).

So.... I know where i am with NUCs, and ive had a lot of luck with them. But is there any benefit in going for the RP4 instead?

23.976 fps playback is key. Playing nice with the AVR is also important, though if i replace the TV, i'd likely go straight to the TV and ARC back to the AV receiver. I use bluetooth for my arcade stick for the emulators.

What do you guys think?

thanks

thanks

Reinstalled the same version and copied all the userdata information back.

All seems well again, will continue testing.

It seems a bit glitchy, although im watching 1080p h265, and i usually use h264, so it might be time to upgrade the hardware.

I am getting a "remote communication server failed to start" message, which ive not seen before. Though it all seems to work ok. Any ideas?

Thanks

Thanks guys.

I havent really used plugins before now, all my media is stored locally. So i suspect that is what broke it.

Maybe ill try the backup and restore thing, it seems pretty straight forward.

I can always save the db files and sources.xml which should save me some work.

Hi all

Ive be lurking round these parts for some time now, but thought ive finally get registered.

Tldr:

Librelec keeps freezing after 20 to 30 mins of playback. Which cheap nuc is the one to have?

long version:

Ive been using librelec for years now, and its been pretty flawless. I use the DN2820 nuc.

Occasionally i get an issue where i click play on something, the screen goes blank rather than play the video, but pressing stop then play again usually fixes it. It hasnt been an issue enough for me to fix it.

Well recently, ive done something to break it. Now the video will play for 30 mins or so, then just freeze. I need to reboot the nuc. All was fine until i set up a vpn and install cumination (dont judge me lol) and its been doing this since. Ive uninstalled the vpn thing, and it still persists. Ill try uninstalling cumination and see if that helps.

Ive been thinking about getting a second system anyway, so i might get a new NUC and set that up, then try and reinstall the software. This is not a 5 minute job, particularly if i have to set up all the sources again and scan everything to the library. I have loads of media, so it takes hours and hours. Im hoping i can transfer the library some how.

I can pickup a used DN2820 nuc for very little cash. Or a NUC5CPYH for not much more. The optical output would be useful for the second system actually.

Is there any advantage of one over the other? Or i could go for an i3 or i5 variant, if there is any real advantage?

Im still running a 1080p plasma, and i cant see me going 4k any time soon, but then the tv could break tomorrow, now ive tempted fate.

Thanks