Posts by dalto

You should just be able to do a backup in LE, save the backup to another location, reinstall and then restore your backup. This has worked for me to transfer.

Alternatively, you can manually transfer your library by saving the db files.

The LE backup/restore process is fairly painless. I should point out, I have never tried to use it with different LE versions.

there are many ways to interpret "don't hold up well".

Perhaps, but in addition to that not being what I wrote, when it is immediately followed by "I have had 2 fail in the last couple of years.", it seems like the meaning should be clear.

You did sound like NUC was not powerful enough for you.

I don't think I wrote that. It was the RPi4 which I noted was not powerful enough.

Either way, I found a solution which seems to meet my fairly specific needs in this case so I think all is well here.

Intel NUC 11 comes with Core i3-i7

Sure, the NUCs are faster but as I stated in my initial post, top performance isn't really the goal. Also:

* NUCs just don't hold up well to 24/7 usage. NUCs were my goto choice for media PCs but I have had two fail in the last couple of years and they are too expensive to be disposable. We also use them at work as SBCs at small remote sites and see high failure rates there too.

* I am looking for a low power, passively cooled solution.

The only 5105 option that I see in local store is essentially non-Intel version of slower NUC at the Gen7 NUC price range.

This is probably a regional difference. I paid quite a bit less than I would for even an older NUC.

Just wanted to follow-up in the event someone has a similar question in the future.

I ended up getting a passively cooled mini PC based on the Celeron N5105 which is a quad core 10w CPU.

It seems to be more than enough to handle the 1080p High 10 profile content.

I am haven't been able to get LE working on it fully yet but I will need to gather some logs on that.

I was struggling with software decoded content on an RPi4 so I decided to try a low power x86_64 CPU. The 10w N5105 seemed to be a good bet.

It shipped with Windows 11 so I tested out Kodi on Windows to see if it could handle the content or not. There were no problems. Hardware decoding and software decoding were both acceptable.

With this in mind, I installed LibreElec. The latest release version failed to load Xorg. I assumed this was drivers and so I switched to the latest nightly. With that, it booted no problem but performance was troubling. Even DVD quality avi files took one core to 100% usage and playback was terrible. Everything I tried wouldn't play consistently.

Next I tried the live image of a Linux distro. Again everything worked without issue.

Is this something that can be fixed through configuration or do I just need to wait for future support?

Here is the inxi information from the Linux live session if any of the hardware info is relevant.

Display Spoiler

Hello all,

I am looking to see if there is a passively cooled solution that can play 1080p h.264 High 10 profile content.

I was using NUC's previously but they just don't hold out to 24/7 use over a long period of time. I have had 2 fail in the last couple of years.

I recently switch to an RPi4 which works great until it hits Hi10 content which needs to be software decoded. Then it falls apart.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Does Raspberry Pi OS run in 4K mode? If not, then it could be an HDMI cable issue. Make sure it's conform to HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 standard.

That is an interesting point. All my high-speed cables are upstairs where my wife is sleeping so I will have to wait a bit to test that.

It occurs to me that I am currently connected to a 1440p monitor. Could that be an issue?

I am having trouble installing on an RPi4. When I boot I get no HDMI output at all.

Here is what I have tried so far:

* Writing the image to the microSD manually - No video

* Downloading and writing the image using the USB-SD Creator - No video

* Writing a MicroSD with Raspberry Pi OS - Works fine

* Installing NOOBs - NOOBs works but once LibreELEC is installed there is no video

It seems likely the issue is not with my install method but something else.

Since I am getting no output at all, I am not sure what steps to take to troubleshoot further.

If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful.