Posts by jim_p

The images in my test share exist solely to support me testing things with random users. I deliberately use a fixed version and rarely clean build and almost never document the changes inside. I have no plans to change that, so use them at your own peril :S

If you want something that more directly tracks the upstream LE repo and with known content, it's time to learn how to build your own images. It's not rocket science: https://wiki.libreelec.tv/development/build-basics

It may not be rocket science for you, because you know how everything works. Sadly, and leaving my old hw aside, it is for me. I won't say again why I use your images and not the ones from the repo. And no, wifi is not the only reason, wired connection does not work as well with the stock image.

On the other hand, if the image creation is something that can be scripted, I would offer you some help on a 58000x system (+64gb of ram +m2 ssd). I damaged it ~2 months ago (psu failed) and I do not have the money and the time to fix it :(

I'm attempting to guess/fix the GXLX audio problem in the posts above. Nothing that needs you to update all the time.

Ok. The problem is that the new releases do not have a build number on their names (unlike the regular nightlies) nor it can be found in any other way other than updating. I do not mind downloading the image, so if there is a way to learn the build number before updating to it, please tell me.

Hello and happy new year! :)

Is there any significant difference between the s905 images of the last couple of days? Yesterday, I updated to the one from Jan 1st. A fresh image showed up later on the day, so I updated to that one too (jan 2nd). And today (Jan 3rd) a third image showed up and I updated to that one too. But the build number, under /etc/os-release, remained the same.

And people wonder why we loathe Realtek vendor drivers so much /shrug

I agree on that. However, I have to point out 2 things

- 90%+ of the usb adapters out there are using realtek chips. When they do not work on linux, it is a pita to make them work. But on windows, they are almost plug n play, and even on old windows like w7.
    - When I first tried the original s905 image for le 11, I also tried my precious wn722n v1 that has an atheros chipset. It did not work back then, although its atheros driver is included in the kernel for 10+ years now. I keep it in my drawer for such occasions that I desperately need a linux compatible wifi adapter.

Moving on to more important and ontopic stuff. Yesterday I noticed the fresh image from Dec 24th, so I wanted to upgrade to it. This time, it did not connect even via ethernet! I gave up after a couple of tries and tried it again today. It connected with no issues via ethernet, so I did the update. After the update, wifi connected like it used to, so I assume that the issue with the previous image was fixed. The same messages appear on dmesg though.

One thing that does not work, and I do not know if it is because of le 12 or something else is its remote control. It was the first time I connected it to a tv that is not hdmi cec capable, so I could not use the tv's remote to control the tvbox. I can not recall if it was working with le 11, but it was definitely working with ce 9.

I know that the driver is only at your image, that is why I use it.

Today's update to "b5823b71dbb8163bf73b03a9873674e292be23df" broke wifi a bit more. It simply does connect or at least not get an ip at launch. I connect to it via ethernet, remove the relevant folder under ~/.cache/connman and then, though connman (instructions at the arch wiki) I connect to it again. The problem is when it is supposed to ask for a password, it simply does not. However it does connect, but it stays like so until the reboot.

First post in this thread, so excuse any mistakes. I have the annoying mxq pro 4k box with s905 and use/update it with chewitt's image from the testing page. I try not to miss any upgrades, so all I can remember is that I went from the one from Dec 11th to the one from Dec 13th and to the one from Dec 19th (yesterday).

Before making today's upgrade, I noticed that it was too slow to connect to the wifi and some errors in dmesg. After making it, the issue remains, so here is what dmesg outputs.

https://paste.libreelec.tv/assuring-possum.log

I have no big plans for it anymore, I just want to use it as an iptv device for the rainy days that the tv signal is bad.

Since the conversation is now focusing on my hw and not on dtech's images, can we please continue at my thread here? I do not know how to quote between threads, so if you do know, please do it and I will reply there. Thank you in advance.

jim_p
    February 3, 2023 at 1:18 PM

Here is the short story of how I got it with le 11, i.e. omitting the failed parts and the obvious ones like "I copied the dtb file".

Prepare sd card with ce 9.2.x because your images did not support s905 at that time > boot to android (4.4 I think) > sideload terminal app > launch terminal app > su to get root > reboot update > insert sd > boot to ce from the sd > ssh to it > installtointernal > android gone > (fast forward to 2023) > prepare sd with le 11 > ssh to ce > reboot update > insert sd > boot to le 11 on the sd > bootloader altered so as to boot only from the sd > lose any access to internal mmc since then :P

Tldr version: there is nothing related to android in it since 2021 and the only workaround to boot from the sd without the reset button was to run reboot update in a terminal.

How can I install your s905 image on an mxq pro 4k that already has the latest development version of le 12 and boots ONLY from its sd slot and with a specific sd card?

Preface: ~9 months ago I installed le 11 on an sd card, completely unaware that after that the tvbox will boot ONLY from it and never from its internal storage. If you want more info, there is a thread I started for that.

And since chewitt no longer creates images for le 11, I updated it to the development ones of le 12, which are available from the same testing folder of his.

Last but not least, the tvbox now has a reset button, but it does not seem to do much.

So, I downloaded the s905 image for it, flashed it to a 16gb sd card with rufus, deleted dtb.img and replaced it with the proper one from the device trees folder (there is actually a file named mxq_pro_4k), inserted the sd card, pressed the reset button, powered it on and... nothing showed up except the amlogic logo with the tiger. What else can I do?

Really sorry for spamming this thread, but it is the most relevant one for what I want to ask.

On le 10 generic x64, which package contains glxinfo? It was on virtual.multimedia-tools on le 9, but now I can't find it.

I want glxinfo's output to check which mesa version le 10 is using. The same applies for le 11, although I want to find the answer for le 10 first.

I am interested in 2 things for each version: the kernel it uses (uname -r) and its mesa version (some line in glxinfo -B).

I got a reset button in the tvbox! And it cost me more than it should.

I do not have the tvbox in my hands yet, but the technician (who took the photo) said it does nothing when pushing it, it just stays on the amlogic logo with the tiger and nothing more. In fact, he said it did the same just by short-wiring the contacts there, thus a button would be pointless, but I told him to install it anyway.

And that is why I asked on dtech's thread about what it should do. So, what do I do now?

Answering on a similar fashion to your answers, although I agree on all three.

- In case something happens or if I want to make a fresh install e.g. on usb and boot from there, can I reinstall the patched image with which the wifi works? No. Please note that I asked if I can boot from usb with the current status on my thread earlier today but got no answer.

- 11.0.3 updates iwd and connman. Last summer (from late May to early September 2022 actually), I tested and updated through every single nightly of le 11 on my rpi3b+. The one thing that made me give up was the inconsistency on the wireless's behavior (connectivity mostly), which continued all the way to 11.0.2. To be fair, I borrowed an rpi3b+ from a friend on late April (of 2023) and tested it again, but the issues were still there, so it was not a hw issue on my end.

Sadly, that thing was also present (in a different form, but still related to connectivity) on my hw with the nightlies of x64, which I tested for ~1 month before also giving up and it was also present up until 11.0.2 too. Tbh, that iwd + connman combination was the buggiest thing of le 11 and I keep my fingers crossed that it is fixed now on 11.0.3, because I tested it 1-2 times and it worked with no issues.

On the other hand, the... "way"* of the patched amlgx image discouraged me from testing if its wifi had similar issues. If there is an issue with that too, will I get the update that fixes it? No.

- Likewise, will it get updates for the dozens of packages that 11.0.3 updates to their new versions, e.g... kodi at 20.2? Also no.

So yea, it is a big deal for me, sorry.

* "Way" = having to use a patched image file to get wireless working, because it does not work with the stock one.

---edit

I spoke too soon for the underlined part, it still has the same issue. Goodbye le 11 on x64 as well, see you in le 12.

Sorry for reopening the thread 5+ months later, but I had more important stuff to do outside of le. Since there will be no unofficial images for amlgx in the near future, on which I had to rely for its wifi, time to move on.

First and foremost, my stupid neighbor kept the tvbox for almost 1 month before me asking when will it be ready. He said he did not and will not fix it because he does not like me cursing/swearing (not at him, cursing/swearing in general)! Sadly, I did not find another technician to do it since then, so it still has no reset button.

No reset button = no way to make it boot from its emmc. A workaround to boot it to recovery by having an empty update.zip file in the root of the sd (found on xda) does not seem to work with the new booting procedure. At this point, I thought that I'd rather use that small sd for something else and make the tvbox boot from usb. Is that possible? These are my last attempts to make it work with le 11, because the time I have wasted on this I would rather spend it on dtech's build of le 9 for s905 or lakka or emuelec.