Posts by elonesna

My suggestion is to connect the CuBox via Ethernet and enable the wireless AP feature in LE settings. Now connect your phone to the AP and complete the Hotel's WiFi registration process; the Hotel should see it coming from the Ethernet MAC, and then you're done.

I have spent some great December days in the sunny Canary Islands with mild equatorial temperatures, and I took a CE client device which connects to my LE server, and I did not think of the alternative of booting the device with android only for the Hotel's WiFi registration process.

I ask for your opinion: Sometimes there is no ethernet connection in hotels, if the LE device supports another operating system (android, windows, linux, ...) to be used in the Hotel's WiFi registration process using the same hardware and the same MAC Wi-Fi, my question is: do you think that once registered with android or another operating system it will work well with LE?

I stopped using docker containers for security camera management due to high power consumption and replaced them with my own recording scripts. I also stopped using docker jellyfin containers due to the high power consumption in idle mode.

RPi4 is still a small mess with a small processing capacity. I am using an x86_64 processor with LE running 24/7 and before permanently installing a docker container I always check the CPU usage and temperature in working and idle conditions.

My server's CPU with all services running stays below 38-40ºC without using forced ventilation when the HDMI cable is disconnected, this seems great to me. To watch TV I use cheap TV Box clients with arm processor and without forced ventilation where the CPU temperature can reach 60-75ºC.

In short, if your WebGrabPlus docker container forces your CPU too much, look for another alternative, I'm using eleven custom internal EPG grabbers with tvheadend on the server without problems.

Forget about using LE as an NFS server not possible even with docker.

It is possible to use LE as an SSH/SFTP and SAMBA server but in a limited way because it only supports one client user account. However with the help of docker drakkan/sftpgo it is possible to implement multiple client user accounts and permissions in SSH/SFTP/FTP/WebDAV server services. I know this works on x86_64 but I don't know if it works on ARM RPi processors.

My problem: Can't login to the web-UI

I am still using LE 9.2.6 x86_64 because when I tried to upgrade to LE 10.0.0 x86_64 my docker tvheadend server stopped working, one of the symptoms was the inability to login to the web-UI. The cause that originated this was the activation of the CrazyCat drivers, something that for me is essential due to the adapters that I have connected. I have not tested again.

Automatic image update for docker containers is a very bad idea:

• there are containers that may have incompatibilities with others and whose update must be executed in a certain order, and even stop some while updating another (example: my wireguard server must start after pihole)
    • updating a docker image can lead to an interruption of the streaming service (vpn, tv, video, ...)
    • updating a docker image always creates a risky situation that should not be left to an automatic timer

I did not use the addon portainer and I do not know the details or the requirements. However I can suggest you install the portainer container with this SSH command:

Code
    docker run --name=9000-portainer \
      --restart unless-stopped \
      -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock \
      -v /storage/.config/dockers/portainer/data:/data \
      -p 9000:9000 \
      -d portainer/portainer-ce

and the updater watchtower container with this SSH command:

Code
    docker run -d \
    --name watchtower-updater \
    containrrr/watchtower --run-once

The watchtocher container is configured to run manually (is always stopped) and only once, and of course it never deletes any docker images. I have been using this for a long time without any problem.

Obviously you must delete the portainer and updater addons so that there are no conflicts with this alternative.

Ok, mayber it´'s better to download ao meu desktop and just transfer to the rpi4.

Any sugestion on how to do the transfer? scp ssh maybe.

There are many ways to transfer files between devices, use the one you see easiest. Examples:

• Having a network storage device to which the PC and RPi will be connected, a simple way to do this is to connect a disk (or even a high capacity flash memory) to the USB port of our router and enable the FTP protocol. From the PC we upload the files to the router's disk, and from RPi we download the files from the router's disk.
    • Another way to transfer files to RPi is to connect a USB disk or flash memory to RPi, share it using SAMBA and upload the files from the PC.
    • ... others.

Hi guys, I followed this steps and install transmission too.

But seems to be very high load at CPU, between 4.0~5.0 of load qhen downloading a torrent file, and Kodi goes too slow.

I'm not surprised by what you say. Torrent downloads require a lot of CPU and storage resources for small ARM devices, and also keep in mind that a small flash memory is always very slow.

These problems can be solved by running torrent downloads on a higher powered server, for example an x86_64 device with a mechanical hard drive or SSD.

I do not quite understand. I seem to remember that the file 'samba.conf.sample' is in the directory '/storage/.config'. You just have to rename it to 'samba.conf' and modify it if necessary.

I also do not understand the use of 'smb://http://192.168.XXX.XXX/Picons/tvh' in tvheadend, besides it does not include username and password, I think this syntax does not work in tvheadend and you will need to mount the remote directory samba in a directory local.

Hi im wondering if anyone has done this.

I have 4 thin clients, i want to use them with all the tv's in my house, and have a server pc with all my hard drives and tv tuners doing the hard work, graphics and processing.

What you really want to do is quite easy using docker services installed on a linux server.

The main services that I use are:

• linuxserver/tvheadend to distribute TV to Kodi or other clients
    • drakkan/sftpgo to implement SFTP/SSH, FTP and WebDAV storage servers with a wonderful client manager that includes fail2ban-like protection
    • linuxserver/wireguard to implement a private network with client devices
    • pihole/pihole DNS server to filter unwanted access

in addition to other ancillary services:

• linuxserver/webtop to have a complete linux remote desktop on an android tablet or remote PC
    • linuxserver/syncthing for real-time backup of smartphones and PCs
    • zyclonite/zerotier as an alternative private emergency network to WireGuard
    • ... and others

These docker services work without problems on any x86_64 mini PC, although I would not recommend it on any ARM device, nor does it need great graphics power when an ARM android client device of just over 20 euros works perfectly at 4K resolution.

The operating system that I would recommend for the server is Linux, anyone works, even LibreELEC. For client devices I use Kodi (and WireGuard) installed on Android or CoreELEC, this allows me to make client devices work anywhere in the world.

I have rarely had problems with tvheadend and they were always related to the drivers. For example, on my LE device that I use as a server in a small network, I cannot install LE 10.0.0 x86_64 because either I lose control of my Mygica HD STAR USB tuner, which is the one that moves my antenna, or tvheadend stops working if I use CrazyCat drivers. My solution is to keep the old 9.2.6 version for my LE server which still works fine.

Yes, but the server has been configured as you wrote.

Now the problem is that i'm unable to connect from the phone to my local network when the VPN is on: the configuration is exactly as you said.

Do youo know why i cannot connect?

Sorry, I am not a guesser, you have not told me how you have configured your phone and you have not told me what operating system your phone uses.

The configuration of an android client is much easier than a LE client, you just have to export the client configuration file to the device, for example, peer_peer3.conf and import this configuration from the Android WireGuard application. You may have to edit these settings from the same android application to adjust the server address (it can be a public ddns, a static public IP, or a home network IP address only valid at home), you could also adjust the dns. Obviously you have to have configured the router to redirect the internet input to the wireguard server, which you should know and is common to all 'normal' servers as wireguard.

Connecting to the server from a client using an external public IP while they are both on the same home network may not work, this is not a server failure. Use a public IP when you are away from home. At home use the private IP of the server within the home network.

If you don't understand me then you have to spend some time studying the concept of VPN servers, how they work and what it takes to get them up and running.

I have been using this for a long time and it works great. My SSH command to create the container is this, then you just have to start it:

To configure the clients you just have to look at /storage/.config/dockers/wireguard/config

It's very easy to update docker images automatically with watchtower-updater. You only need to run this SSH command once. From portainer you will start watchtower which will scan all the images that are not stopped, update them if necessary and stop again. Do this every fortnight. It is not a good idea to update automatically because sometimes some containers need to be monitored.

Code
    docker run -d \
    --name watchtower-updater \
    containrrr/watchtower --run-once

How do you do that? Maybe I can adapt your solutions to my needs (I move the dish with an arduino and I patched tvheadend to send commands to the arduino)

What's that?

It's very simple, I have a group of channels that only the administrator of the TV server sees, that is, only me. This group of channels, which are very few, are each on a different satellite and are only managed by hdstar tuner because it can move the antenna. The rest of the channels are managed by the SAT>IP server, which cannot move the antenna. Since I can access many TV channels, I don't use any over-the-air EPG but rather a lot of internal EPG grabbers that tvheadend handles without problem.

Vbox TV Gateway tuners: Search the internet, they are IPTV tuners visible at home from DLNA ready to go. They allow you to download the playlist to tvheadend and decode if necessary. I have one 2xDVB-T/T2 for eight years and it still works perfectly with tvheadend. The website is: https://vboxcomm.com