Posts by buzzmarshall

Its as Da Flex said earlier. Not all format/partioning tools can handle bad block recovery or remapping... Technically it lies with in the control code in the memory chip and the hardware it controls as sometimes control flags get set that not all tools have the ability to touch. usually a unix box with fdisk or gparted can fix things, but sometimes its more complicated and there just not worth the time trying to fix.

I don't use head-end for anything here locally but can say that card works here in NA on Linux but required a bunch of code fixes..

Someone else in the group tho apparently hacked together windows 7 64bit drivers and has it working but without talking to him i am not sure what all was involved. The drivers from the manufacturer (what little they supply) are not the greatest but ,aybe its just here in NA and they work well elsewhere in the world.

if your at all comfortable opening the box up then the best way to figure it out is to look for board markings and try and identify it that way. there is a lot of clone boxes around so its hard to say for sure.

a sure fire way to know tho is to look on the board for a serial port connection which is probably unpopulated pads but its only 3 wires to hook up a usb/serial uart adapter and get a serial port connection running. If you get the serial connection working you can use any terminal program on windows or mac or linux to freeze the boards boot loader (u-boot) and capture the boards required info to help steer you in the right direction.

normally that stuff comes apart fairly easy if you don't just rip it fast when taking it apart. so you should be ok if your carefull when removing the lid.

ya thats not really the best thought out approach but seems typical of a lot of makers.usually it only breaks and tears if its getting old and been overheated alot.

I usually see that type because you can buy it in various thickness's where they are trying to use the heat sync on more then just the main cpu and it will be applied to help make up for the gap between the other chips and the bottom of the heat sync caused by the main cpu sitting up higher then the other chips once the heat sync is sitting down on the cpu.

eg: i notice on my rockpro64 that the heat sync once on leaves a small gap between the tops of the memory chips and the bottom of the heat sync and if i was worried about heat it would be ontop of the 2 memory chips that i would apply a small pad of the right thickness of that type of material.

i didn't buy any of there cases for my board as it i now have a couple of different sbs and other boards that are slid into a 19" rack mount case with a back plane board on it that i built.

sofar from what i have seen with the rocks i recently bought is that they are actually running pretty cool compared to some of the other things i have seen sofar. last week from wed night to sat night i continually streamed a wide variety of movies in various formats and sizes continually from my san cluster in a cue and found the heat sync (25mm one) never went any higher then 43.6 C . that was just based on streaming movies but seemed pretty reasonable to me on something like that.

without seeing the pad i can only guess. but if the thermal pad itself is blue which is usually what i work with are you sure its not got a clear protector on both sides?

i buy thermal pad in 12"x12" sheets in a couple of different thickness's and the pad itself is blue but it has a clear protector on both sides that get peeled off and it doesn't matter which side goes to the cpu or heat sync.

Lu sorry i should have read your post more closely...

outside of the graphics stack still at least short basically in the userland area such as the drm/abi . I am not sure what else is still a issue for people working on stuff in the public.

privately most of what i needed to make work on the rockpro64 seems to be working but to be honest i have been so far running off sd based setup and not looked much at the eMMC or PCIe stuff yet.

I should have also said am working in the the 4.20 and 5 kernel areas...

i would think that publicly they should be in the same general realm tho.

was just meaning what kinda of downstreams were people pulling with there dvb setups? here in NA theres really not much left in the way of decent FTA stuff without using motorized dish'es or still doing buds. With Dish and Vu encrypted and Direct TV (actually its not really dvb compliant anyways) i was just curious as to what peeps were watching, I quess things are somewhat different in the Asian and European markets as theres more FTA on un-encrypted feeds still kicking around.

balbes 150, thank you for your input, I know I did not start this thread but I too have been looking for a new box, after buying both the x99 and the Vero 4K+ and after buying a 4K TV my chromebox is a bit outdated for 4K, that said, I am not confident enough to test a Magicsee N6 Max RK3399, since like the x99 I did not see a img for the x99 (rk3399) here specifically for the x99 or the Magicsee N6 Max RK3399. So with just this thread and a couple of posts here and there I think I will test RockPro64, I will purchase the following:

1. ROCKPro64 Premium Aluminum Case
    2. ROCKPro64 Slim Profile Graphene Heat Sink
    3. ROCKPro64 board
    4. 12V/5A Power Supply (US Plug) and a
    5. High Performance eMMC Module, I think that should do it. If anyone has anything to add, would truly appreciate any input.

Not sure where your ordering from but you may want to consider ordering the wifi/bluetooth module at the same time as its pretty cheap and you might end up actually wanting it. While i am constructing my own linux distro i have been checking out a couple of Libreelec builds that actually work quite well. 1 was a precompiled build from the site here and the other i built from balbes github.

Since wed night i have had it pretty much continually streaming movies from my local san cluster. I created a cue made up of a wide variety of movie sizes and formats and not had a single lockup yet. I have not put my board in a case but the normal finned metal heat sync without a fan seems to hold up just fine.

Actually i kinda prefer the github looks as well and at least am familiar with it and where things are... gitlabs look i find somewhat confusing and not as intuitive in its layout.

I just wasn't sure if projects from one were totally compatible between the 2 systems as i have been struggling to even add ssh keys with the account i have on gitlab and wasn't sure if that would translate into other areas of the project.

i think i will just clone Rob Herrings and Linus's gitlab stuff locally and when i am ready push it up to my dormant github site.

thanx.

hey... on another unrelated subject i would like to ask ya ...

i am way old school and predate most repo setups like github or gitlab and have been following the panfrost stuff over on gitlab and am thinking about cloning a few things and eventually opening them up publicly and was wondering if theres any real advantage of gitlab over github.

github i am somewhat familiar with as i have one with nothing it on github... normally for backup sake i have my internal git hub servers setup in the house and just push things to it for protection but since following the panfrost stuff have been looking at Gitlab and wondering about cloning their repo over into my own gitlab account and that way when i want to push from my local copy of their repo i can push to my own and let others just take what they want.

i don't have much time to spare and really don't want to spend a lot of time learning all that stuff as i typically don't use it. Over the years i tend to have gone with what i know and not bothered dragging my butt up into current stuff, so most of the stuff i do when building custom linux code is strickly just been in altering the source code and building... even things like patches i don't do enough to keep it all in my head and by the time i look things up and refresh my memory its just easier to do directly...

getting old kinda sucks when you got to much crap in your head and every time i try and put somthing new in it seems i gotta knock something else out. lol

basically i am getting to the point where i would like to help but because i don't really no my way around the repo stuff don't want to end up screwing up someone else's repo. Lately while picking away i have been using my userland (drm/abi and few other things) i built for the S912-t820 to play with what i have been watching on their repo but i need to spend a lot of time going thru things to put them into proper order and formats and making sure there is nothing inappropriate in them, i have a buddy that is copy-right patent lawyer that is looking into a few things i need to know about.

anyways i would appreciate any thoughts.

its been like -25 here in Ontario for the last few days and with all the workstations and servers running in my basement the furnace still hardly comes on... i cut passive floor registers in to the upper 2 floors to allow the heat to rise... A/C tho in the summer is another case... for years i used to get yearly checkup as the local electrical authorites used to think i was running a grow op downstairs because of the hydro bills. I was one of the 1st internet service providers in my area back in the 90's so when i closed the office i moved alot of the servers home and put a trunk line into the house and maintained about a 100 connections out of the house and some of that is still use even tho i moved out of the business years ago but still maintain a few private servers for uucp and irc. I would like to look more into some of the solar stuff and try and offset some of the costs but want to wait tilll we move up north next year..

radiant floor heating here in Canada has finally started to grow in the last couple of years which is good

i would be inclined to call most things in electronics a heat sync as radiator to me usually implies something capable of transmitting more heat like you say a hot water rad or heat reflector like in radiated heat in the hvac industry like infra-red tube heaters which is technically referred to as radiant heating.

i think chewitt is right tho in this case as english not being his native language and its a problem with gootle. years ago when we hacked nagra i had a buddy from that part of the world and it was allways a issue and its funny how after all these years the translators at google and others still have these types of typical issues. lol...

you might be right but the real world is where things really matter as most the are involved in higher education and high level engineering tend to work in isolated none real world environments where millions of dollars of equipment and controlled environments are their workspace.

the real world which is unfortunately based on cashola tend to cut corners to reduce cost but end up with products out in the field that may eventually fail sooner as compared to things from days gone by where quality ruled rather then quantity.

its not that i don't understand your opinion or even think that your wrong i just no if somethings within reason manufacturers will release the product and in the end in most cases the enduser takes it.

Ps3-4, xbox260-new one, tons of different laptops and the list goes on and on, and even tho because of bad flow profiles not really corrected to the none lead based solder has lead to tons of graphix failures occuring before they really should have. and a large part of those actually aren't even related to bad soldering but because Nvidea decided to let the graphix chips go out into the real world when they should not have.

in Nvidea's case the real issue lays not with board level bga mount but with bad flip-chip manufacturing which was a ENGINEERED calculation prior to packaging the wafer inside the outter bonded bga carrier. People think that reheating the board/bga mount is fixing the problem when all they are really doing is overheating the bga package which is making the flip-chip connections temporarily reconnect inside the chip itself.

as i said i understand your concern but i honestly think that until people that actually own and use the board start to complain about heat related issues i think you should do yourself a favor and let the issue go as i hate when i see unending debates over unproven issues and over the years i have watched you contribute since you 1st appeared over on Freaktab doing the linux thing along time ago and would never want to see people loose respect or credibility over something like this, especially when you've earned somuch cred's over the years by helping others.

oeace man...

cool...

actually looking at that and seeing the size of the heat sync on the bottom i visually don't see why that would not be suffice.

assuming from what i see the SoC is on the bottom and the heat sync is sitting on it i would think it should work not to bad as the board profile would allow air between it and the heat sync which is only planting on the top of the SoC.

it appears to be the full size of the board so being on the bottom should be big enough to allow the radiated (convected) heat to spill up over the edge of the main board rather then trapping it under the board which would happen if the heat sync was smaller then the boards full profile.

the only concern i can see would be Maybe a issue with the case ventilation itself but that is easy to play with.

without actual test its hard to make any real conclusions but based on stuff i have hacked over the years i cant see any real issues. and as said before its way better then most others without anything in the tvbox market.

the rockpro64 i got i still have not bother'd putting the heat sync on it as it barely gets warm not matter what i run... right now outside the kodi type of use i am running a hobbled together version based on slackware that i am running software i am righting that handles motion control over a huge 3d printer i build and am prototyping which pushes the board alot harder then any libbreelec or armbian type of setup and not had any heat issues.

i currently build custom dc motor drives that handle up to 15amp per phase and use heat syncs like that all the time and they work great.

thanx for posting the pics.

cool thanx...

i predate docker and even things like github so taking the time to learn new things at my age is hard to justify so i tend to stick to what i know and am familiar with.

to be honest thats probably one of the main reasons i have never pushed anything to the kernel repo or other things as i learned the old way and have been building custom kernels since the 90's... over the years ive learned some of the rudimentary github commands and can clone and do the basic things but for all these years i just alter the kernel source code to what i need and the stuff the finished sources on a server farm i keep close so even the simple things like creating a patch for me was just easier to edit the sources the way you need then compile and your good to go.

just to old , and to lazy and would sooner spend my time playing around at wafer level under the microscope...

thanx tho...