Posts by bleep42

Hi,

I have found a problem. If I play a reasonably heavily compressed HEVC file, which is dark, I'm getting green and purple blocks, almost exclusively on the right hand side of the screen, mainly down the edge, but up to a quarter of the way across the screen, playing the same file using Milhouses RPi2 test build 20180730 #0730, it's playing fine on my test Pi3. I've updated to Milhouse build 20180918 #0918 and I now get the coloured blocks on Milhouses build, so I'll report it in the test build thread.

Photos of the problem here. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nht0h53eqdsz8...8Uwba?dl=0

Kevin.

PS. This is now fixed on the test builds, so hopefully will reach us in due course. :)

Hi,

I've just used the standard built in update process to update to Kodi 18.0-BETA1 (8.90.004) on my Slice.

Everything that I use seems to be working great, it's even got the latest HEVC updates, so is playing HEVC very well.

Thanks to everyone involved and Chewitt for compiling it up for our box.

Regards,

Kevin.

Hi Chewitt,

I am still having problems with the shutdown red/orange sequence, this is now on 8.1.2.

Sometimes it doesn't happen at all, sometimes it starts very late, so only gets half way before shutdown actually occurs, so gets truncated, sometimes it almost works right. ;)

It's not the end of the world, but would be nice to get working properly again.

Regards,

Kevin.

Thanks for doing that Roger,

I'm a bit busy at present, so would have had problems doing a clean install.

On my Slice, I occasionally get a whitish flash of the LEDs at shutdown, not long red/Orange like it should be.

Do you get anything at all for Fast Rewind? I don't.

It may be my imagination, but the one long sequence (start up) I do get seems different, maybe faster?

Regards,

Kevin.

The location of LED patterns has changed because they are now part of the embedded slice.service add-on. I saw some LED issues when I first updated to early versions of the 8.1.0 image where patterns weren't playing right, but I strongly suspect that was due to an install that had became messed-up from testing and with too much background stuff going on (and using WIFI, which seems to make the Slice box suck). Since I clean reinstalled to the eMMC for boot testing and went back to Ethernet, it's been fine.

Hi Chewitt,

Thanks for replying, I have tried downgrading back to 8.0.2 and back to 8.1.0 three times and get the same results, I usually use Ethernet anyway.

Roger back on the five ninja forum is also seeing the same thing.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin.

Hi Chewitt,

I've installed 8.1.0 all seems to be good except LED patterns, some work, others like fast rewind and the shutting down red pattern do not, all of the .png patterns seem to be present in /usr/share/kodi/addons/service.slice/resources/media/ledpatterns/ although I thought they used to be in /usr/share/kodi/media/ledpatterns ?

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Kevin.

Pimoroni have shipped a replacement Slice PCB and PSU to my parents who will pass it on when we meet-up in Spain in a couple of weeks. As long as the CM3 card still works I should be back in the Slice business for a public beta of 8.2 in July and release in August.

Meanwhile lrusak is in the process of re-packaging the Slice drivers/firmware into packages we can embed into the Slice image(s). This allows us to drop a bunch of Linux patches and the build-system difference between RPi and Slice is reduced to two words in a config file. This makes it basically impossible for me to miss patches again - future breakage in a release will require deliberate sabotage. He is also creating a python add-on that hooks into Kodi to drive the LED ring. This allows us to drop the Slice Kodi patches and in the long-term we can make the LED patterns for Kodi actions user-configurable.

Hi Chewitt,

Any updates on your Slice operability? etc..... :)

Regards,

Kevin.

Hi chewitt

Thanks very much for your latest 8.0.2 build it is working great. :)

I've been following the Kodi 18 - LibreELEC Testbuilds and the improvements they have managed to achieve playing h265 (HEVC), I was intrigued to notice that your latest build seems to be almost as good at playing higher resolution 1920x1080 (1080p) and quality h265 as the Kodi 18 test build? is this because the improvements are mainly in the kernel and you are using the latest kernel, or have you been able to sneak them in somehow?

Whatever the reason I'm very happy. :) Thank you.

Regards,

Kevin.

Slice/Slice3 builds are 99.99% the same as RPi/RPi2 so you can follow the normal LE release notes and GitHub for changes. The sole differences in these builds are the handful of patches for the Slice audio overlays and LED driver. Unless something breaks I intend to spend as little time as possible on them because (being a pi in disguise) Slice is VERY reliable and requires almost zero effort/maintenance :)

Hi Chewitt,

Please could you explain what the -noobs.tar file in Index of /slice/ is for?
    The other two I'm fine with, but I'm particularly interested in the noobs one, will it actually give a noobs instalation, so I could also insatall Raspbian on a CM3? (I realise that there is almost no spare room in the 4GB flash, so I have in the past moved Raspbian to the hard disk).
    If so how do I go about using it. Do I need to get a working Libreelec/Kodi and place it in the update folder?
    LibreELEC-Slice3.arm-7.95.3-noobs.tar
    Thanks,
    Kevin.

OK, well its not so big problem that I would bother actually.
    I updated my slice to the 7.90.009 build from libreelec. Has anyone noticed that the transfer speeds are really really slow over EThernet/Wifi?For some reason after updating to the libreElec build (chewitt first and now the 009 one) the transfer speed are way slow as normally I can transfer about 2megs/secs and currently getting speeds about 130kilobytes/s. After a while the connection just breaks

Hi,
    No, transfer rate the same as always for me, about 2 to 3 MB/s
    Regards, Kevin.