Posts by Zameero

Thanks! Remote configuration works!

IIRC the 10-bit H264 format is not supported in Amlogic silicon so software fallback is the only option (and hence the legacy images do that)

Yes, the cpu is powerful enough for that, or at least it was in the legacy images.

However I tried a few H264-10bit files and these don't work at all: With the HW decoding enabled it gives garbled results; With it disabled it's not decoded at all (black screen - audio only).

Does the PI have a working software decoder?

Thanks!
    I've tested it a bit on a 's912 tv box and seems to work Ok, but I have a couple of questions:

Is it possible to use remotes (meson-ir NEC/RC6) other than the default?

I found that H264-10bit (Anime) is not recognized, and the board always uses HW decompression (with bad results). The legacy builds do switch to SW decompression in those cases.
    Is it possible to solve the problem, or at least to add a switch/setting to always use SW decode for H264?

There are no open source for rk3528, as I understand. Please anybody correct me if I'm wrong!

There are unofficial Armbian ports; Almost everything works except the usual quirky stuff that TV boxes have.

It's the first time I hear of RK3528

Has been out for a while; Android 13 TV boxes that use it are super cheap: 15~20€ (during promo sales) for 4GB/32GB.

Good enough for Klipper or similar stuff.

I've read through the linked thread, but to me it seems to be a different problem: Those devices can't be turned on with the remote, while mine won't stay powered down.

But I guess the problem is also caused by a faulty u-boot, so I'd like to test the one created by Portish:

But it has been deleted from github :(

Where can I find a copy of: u-boot_q201_v2.2_green_pcb.tar.gz?

Thanks for the explanation.

I have another question: I have a S912 box (Generic H96Pro 2GB/16GB) that has a problem with the shutdown process: Basically it doesn't work as the machine simply restarts instead of powering off. In Android there's no such problem.

I've read the "Fix the "power-on bug" in uboot for Meson8* boxes" on the first page, and while testing the AMLGX image I noticed that "suspend" is enabled... And working on my machine: By using suspend (instead of poweroff) the machine powers-off.

So, I'd like to know if there is any way to invoke a suspend in the legacy build... Maybe there's some hidden setting?

for v1.3.0 a lot of things would have to be modified. Since Leia's ffmpeg is an old version, even if I wouldn't call it an impossible task, it's not worth spending so much time, because I don't think the situation would improve much.

However, dav1d v1.3.0 is already present in the LE12 AMLGX image, so if you want to give it a try, I recommend you try that.

I have an S912 box, and found out it isn't usable with AV1 files :(
    I've tried the suggested AMLGX image and surprisingly the CPU is (barely) capable enough to play it: CPU usage on a few 1080p files I've tried is ~400% on average, roughly the same as H264 10bit software decode. (Although some files are more taxing on the CPU and will lose frames)
    Is there really no hope for the newer dav1d on this legacy build?

Sorry for the thread hijacking...

I am testing V11.0 on the same device (generic S912 with 2Gb) and have problems with the shutdown, as it executes a reboot instead.

Is there a fix for this?

Moreover, is there a list for the codecs supported by the Hardware decoder?

I've been testing a few files (H264/10bit ) and have strange results: blockiness, freezes, but sometimes seems to work for a while.

balbes150 I've tried latest aarch: LibreELEC-ARM-ALL.aarch64-9.80-devel-20200430125433-b18883b-amlgx.img.gz

Using meson-gxm-khadas-vim2.dtb on a S912 starting from SD (USB doesn't work, gives an error "Could not mount LABEL=LIBREELEC")

All I get is the logo and then:

Code
    [   97.908314] kernel-overlays-setup: setup base modules
    [   98.053646] kernel-overlays-setup: added modules from /usr/lib/kernel-overlays/base/lib/modules/5.7.0-rc3
    [   98.115976] kernel-overlays-setup: added firmware from /usr/lib/kernel-overlays/base/lib/firmware
    [   98.131722] kernel-overlays-setup: adding overlays from /storage/.cache/kernel-overlays
    [   98.146622] kernel-overlays-setup: done
    [  102.173839] kernel-overlays-setup: setup base modules
    [  102.310614] kernel-overlays-setup: added modules from /usr/lib/kernel-overlays/base/lib/modules/5.7.0-rc3
    [  102.365419] kernel-overlays-setup: added firmware from /usr/lib/kernel-overlays/base/lib/firmware
    [  102.381177] kernel-overlays-setup: adding overlays from /storage/.cache/kernel-overlays
    [  102.396125] kernel-overlays-setup: done

which repeats over and over.

Edit: version 0200410154217-92efcc1 seems to work.

"arm" is 64-bit kernel and 32-bit userspace for compatibilty with add-ons that need software widevine (DRM) support, and aarch64 is 64-bit kernel

If the add-on compatibility is not needed, is there any actual advantage/hindrance in using arm or aarch64 images? I recall reading balbes150 mentioning temperature, but maybe I'm having a Mandela effect... Does one perform better than the other?

Regarding memory this board is very strange: I'd think that boards with fake RAM would have less RAM (as in actual memory IC), and I've actually seen one of these: just 4 x 256MB installed became 2GB advertised.

But this one has the real deal (2x1GB + 2x512MB=3GB), however at boot only 2GB are recognized and then they are faked to 3GB.

Code
    DR4 chl: Rank0+1 @ 1008MHz - PASS
    Rank0: 1024MB(auto)-2T-18
    Rank1: 1024MB(auto)-2T-18
    [...]
    U-Boot 2015.01-ga4d8f5c-dirty (Dec 07 2017 - 19:23:54)
    DRAM:  3 GiB

You cannot "replace emmc with nand" on boxes

This board has provision for EMMC (BGA) or NAND (TSOP) memory, and I've seen similar (cheaper) boxes where they use NAND TSOP.

you can replace the bootloader - if - you have the fip sources for the box

The problem is that the EMMC has a region that is write protected, so the bootloader CAN'T be overwritten. That's why I was looking to replace the chip with a NAND.

Have you got any info on how to disable the write protection on the EMMC? Maybe there's some u-boot command that can do that?

On an S912 is it possible to get analog audio?

Also I tried LibreELEC-ARM-ALL.arm-9.80-devel-20200406105758.... image on my S10 but when I do:

LibreELEC:~ # uname -m

aarch64

So what's the difference between arm and aarch64 images?

One more question: The S10 has some weird bootloader that fakes the amount of RAM, apparently it's impossible to replace it because there's some security mechanism or encryption in the image or the EMMC.

If I remove the EMMC and replaced it with a NAND, can I then upload (via burning tool) an image with a "normal" bootloader?

Or is the fake bootloader somehow locked in by in the CPU EFUSEs?

I have an R-TV S10 (aml912 3GB 2GB/32GB) box and nothing works on it except for balbes150 images, so thanks for that!

However I'd like to use it as a LibreELEC dedicated machine and while the newer images work (sorta), I'd like to have an older build installed, since the test versions aren't really usable (missing HW decode and too new for my old skin/addons).

balbes150 , is there some place where one can download your older builds, those where the HW acceleration wasn't broken?

Alternatively, is it possible to build from source an Image that works with your boot system? I've tried to look into it, but the guides are outdated and the required files aren't there anymore.