Posts by martinf87

My setup is a stock 9.2.0 install. Single media source using SMB (SMB server is a Raspbian Buster). Wifi disabled. The only option I changed IIRC is adjust refresh rate on (on demand), so that 24p stays 24p. I haven't changed anything else, apart from updating the bootloader and USB3 firmware, see my previous thread. No plugin or anything.

Not using USB ports. Using Ethernet and the HDMI plug next to the USB-C plug (the one supporting CEC). Official RPi4 power supply.

I confirm CPU usage this morning was 17.8 to 18.2% (through ssh and 'top').

So just now I switched on my TV, checked that nothing was running (i.e. no movie). Switching the TV on had the effect of enabling CEC. I pushed the "up" button on the remote once, that's all. Then switched the TV back off.

Now top indicates that kodi.bin uses up 15.9% CPU usage, solid. So I suspect this is expected.

Clearly there is margin for improvements in kodi.bin as 15.9% is just too much. I don't know if there is any kind of polling on something (CEC for instance), but if there is no polling, the application should not consume anything. I hope kodi.bin does not periodically refresh the screen when no video is running - this would be wrong.

Hi all,

On idle, Kodi.bin consumes 18% of CPU time on my RPi4 when I run top. This seems wayy too much.

Is there anything I need to disable to lower CPU usage?

Or can I configure Kodi to go into power saving mode after some delay of inactivity? Will HDMI-CEC wake the device up though, in this case? This is critical to me.

MF

NB: love Libreelec. It is a fantastic addition to my home cinema setup. Congratulations to the team, great work.

Hi,

Ok so, yesterday, I first applied the bootloader patch and rebooted - it went smooth.

Next, I applied the USB3 firmware update. It went much less smooth this time. Something happened... then black screen. I waited for a long time. My TV reports when HDMI ARC and CEC are active or disabled, and they kept switching between these two states, indefinitely, every 15 seconds or so (still with black screen).

I unplugged the RPi4, and plugged it back to the wall socket. The boot procedure went fine this time. In the menus, the USB3 version is correctly reported as 000137ab.

I tried to reboot again, one more time -> success.

So this SEEMS to be ok, *but* I clearly remember I saw a message on the RPi forum which stated that a firmware upgrade procedure for the VL805 could leave the chip in a weird state (eventhough the firmware update was indeed successful). This was stated by a RPi engineer as a possible explanation for a problem report (unconfirmed though).

Trying to get my hands on this message now (hard...)

EDIT: found it:

VLI firmware v2.0 - powersaving features enabled - Raspberry Pi Forums

(see the message from jcyr user "sudo reboot failed to restart...", and subsequent messages)

Just to be on the safe side - can I force-write the 000137ab firmware again, eg. from the command line? The message I was talking about said this would cure this issue.

Hi,

Recently got a RPi4 / 4GB, installed Libreelec 9.2.0, works fine.
    The Pi is mounted with an Aluminium Armor (large) heatsink.

I have noticed the Pi runs rather hot when playing video, eg. 4K or 60fps footage.

According to the Libreelec menus I see:

Bootloader EEPROM (update from 2019-07-15 to 2019-09-10)
    VIA USB3 Firmware (update from 00013701 to 000137ab)

I have two questions.

1) is it recommended to apply these updates? I see there are some issues with the latest VIA firmware, as shown eg. here for instance:

Limited camera resolution on Raspberry Pi 4 with VL805 firmware 0x000137ab · Issue #621 · guysoft/OctoPi · GitHub

2) is applying the updates a no-brainer, i.e. shall I just hit the OK button here on my remote? Or is there something else to do afterwards (apart from a reboot)?

MF