Posts by knaerzche

thanks man. yeah. that one doesnt boot for some reason. can you check the attached dtb? thank you so much, man.rk-kernel.dtb.txt

You're sure you tried this LibreELEC-RK322x.arm-9.2-devel-20200427213246-b7186bc-rk3228b-a8.img.gz? If v88mars boots, this should definitly also boot ... I looked at your devicetree ... It matches completly the one I used for createing the v88mars image, Unless you can provide any debugs logs where an/the error appears I can't help

aldelph if you somehow modified your internal emmc/nand in order to boot armbian use le images will no longer work, since the bootsequence is different. my images are intended to work on an unmodified internal storage. so to get it booting: revert internal storage back to android or erease it completly. also I'm not sure if rufus works for writing le images - you should use LibreELEC USB-SD Creator! – LibreELEC for that purpose.

MIKMXIII see first post how to get the mainlline images (note: there are some regressions regarding supported features)

ilmich: I didn't test your patch yet, but I'm pretty sure it will improve things on RK322x - so feel free to add an PR to my repo: best place it under https://github.com/knaerzche/Libr…2x/patches/kodi. I can't speak for LE or kodi, but I doubt it will be accepted by either. I'm planing to update the legacy images in near future and it would be great if we could have it in.

MIKMXIII : I also noticed this overheating on one (and only: one) of my devices. I didn't figure out yet why is that - but please: Don't blame LE for that - its the BSP kernel which produces that. The very same device stays "cool" when using a mainline kernel.

ilmich: Great finding :) I think (hope) kodi devs would like you to share this, if it improves SW rendered decoding on low end GPUs (again).

BTW: about all this overclocking stuff: Sure it can be done and I've disabled the highest cpu freq on all my images (as RK does in its android images) for only one reason: All these TV Boxes have a poor/non existend thermal "design" - clocking higher/using performance governor will lead to, that hardware will automatically throttle all IPs (not only GPU/CPU) if it reaches a given "critical" temparature which will result in an slower HW decoding as well.

Everybody trying to get support for wakeup via remote: This isn't currently (easily) possible - we are using a generic gpio-remote for LE now. To make wakeup work it would require to switch RK's proprietary driver - this again is not compatible with lirc and won't work with kodi. I won't put any further work in BSP kernel which goes beyond simple updating. There will be maybe will be a soultion for that in future and in mainline kernel.

Now that VP9 and HEVC rkvdec driver are in sight I suggest everybody to switch to mainline anyways ... and it would be great to get some feedback on this as well (and even if it is for testing only), since this is definitly the future (of everything ;)

Just updated the legacy images where I reverted to use of UHS speeds and updated to everything latest. SD card releated boot problems should be gone by now: Check first post.

If your not familar with LE yet: You can always take the coresponding *.tar file - put it to the "update" folder (smb) or to /storage/.update/ (scp) and reboot the device - all your settings/addons will be kept this way.

tipaklong014: if you really want to install to internal nand (it won't have any advantages) - you can check how to do this here: [unoffical] LE-9.2/9.80-Images for RK3229/RK3228. I never would do this, when not having uart access

Any tipps and hints are always appreciated :)

But I guess must of the stuff you wrote will irritate people more than it helps, 'cause its unnecessary, if the first post is read carefully. I already announed the SD-Card problem and asked people to use DTBs from the older release if they encounter problems with booting.

BTW: Would be great if you relase source / write an howto for your slackware attempt like jock2 did it for armbian.

GRegNfo: Yes, I'd still recommand the the V88Mars Image - the actual DRAM chips don't matter that much in that case, because DMC get disabled with it. Its always safe to use it (as I wrote before) - but it might be slow. There are thousands of different DRAM configurations - the v884k image is made is based on an image that was extracted from an V884k. A friend of mine is using it on a daily basis, without any problems. You could also try any other RK3229 DDR3 Image - maybe there is one that works for you

ilmich

For RK3228 devices with DDR2 - you could also have used the Alfawise A8 image - which does exactly what you did with your dtb. For the SD Card prob (as writtten before): Try to avoid using UHS cards, as only UHS SDR 104 cards are working (for some reason).

I will change that with the upcoming images.

Edit since your actual device is a RK3229: Use V88 Mars either - its the one made vor RK3229/DDR2 (see first post)

Hi, I have a Scishion V88 4k, board: TX-MX4N-V20 (2017-03-29) CHIPTRIP
    This is the right firmware for it?

MX4N are usually DDR2 boards - so go ahead and try V88Mars LibreELEC-RK322x.arm-9.2-devel-20200301143855-b58333a-rk3228b-v88marsII.img.gz (RK3229) or Alfawise A8 LibreELEC-RK322x.arm-9.2-devel-20200301143608-b58333a-rk3228b-a8.img.gz (RK3228) image. Try to avoid using UHS SD cards with this any of the curent builds.

but unfortunately, hardware acceleration for DRM content seems to be impossible

Unfortunately this is the case for all systems on linux ... we are using a binary extracted from chromeos images to make widevine at least work in linux ... but it all have to be done in software.

There are two different license models for widevine: The first requires only the decryption of the video content to be done in software but the video decoding can be done be HW decoders. The second requires also the video decoding to be done by either software or by a "secure video path" (is done in trustzone/tee binary/special video codecs in android which vendors like RK or Amlogic provide). The latter one is used by Amzon Prime and Netflx while the first model is widely used by domestic providers which works well on up to 1080p in Linux (even on RK322x).

I always wondered if it possible to use vendor provided widevine binaries from android in linux by using libhybris ... I'm not sure if this has ever been tried.

Unlike most of you I'm currently quite busy ... so: sorry for no/late answering.

sirmagus / julio12541 and everybody else having issues with booting: I activated sd uhs speeds in latest legancy / mainline builds ... obviosuly the controller supports not all of them (looks like only uhs 104 cards are completly supported). All my personal cards are working great ... but I got a a ore detailed bugreport from somewhere else ... Solution for that: Take your image from the older release (Release RK322x-le92-0bca75f: Add RK3228B MK809IV target / Enable bluetooth for rtl8723 and ap6xxx … · knaerzche/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub) and use this dtb file (copy it somewhere external and paste it in the newer one). For mainline (rk3228a-box.dtb / rk3229-box.dtb) / newly supported devices (rk3228b-box-a8.dtb / rk3229-box-tx2.dtb) I will attach the dtbs here. Don't try to use a dtb from legacy release for mainline or vise versa: It won't work.

Hicno: I have absoultly no glue about retroarch - but: There were issues like that in with LE/kodi before. That was because at 4K resolutions the GUI was rendered @4K - thats to much for a mali400. We got around this by letting the GUI being rendered at 1080p max. - upscaling to 4K is done by the display controller. So: Try to reduce screen res. Could also be related to the dram timeing settings / dram frequency.

As previously announced I can now proudly (literally) present mainline images for RK322x platform as well - this finally proofes that this platform will be supported in future as well (other than stated elewhere). Special thanks Rockchip kernel maintiainer Heiko Stübner (aka mmind) who adds support even for the oldest Rockchip SoCs to mainline for this. I tested it for a few days now and can say it works quite stable already and is good enough for everyday use for features which are currently supported (check "Mainline images" part of [unoffical] LE-9.2/9.80-Images for RK3229/RK3228 to see whats currently supported). Only annoying thing with current mainline kernel is, that there is no support for DDR frequency scaling - this makes stuff a bit slower than on legacy images. You will see a "flickering" screen when connecting a 4K Display with > 30 Hz but only for the splash screen (kodi works OK) for that reason. You will have to add "video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080" to extlinux.conf to get rid of this (this will only apply to splash screen - kodi will automatically take higher res).

While I will upstream some of my stuff, I will keep tack whats happening for RK devices in mainline and update these images regulary

Since kodi 18.6 was released yesterday I also updated legacy images and brought it in sync with current LE-9.2 tree. There is now also direct support for 3 more devices: MXQ 4K Pro, Alfawise A8 and Tanix TX2. The A8 Image will work on any RK3228X DDR2 device. I also enabled Ethernet, IR Receiver and SD Card on all device trees, so that images will be easier to use on devices they are not directly made for.