Posts by NicoLE

Unfortunately all new so called Tanix TX6 in the shops now do not have the H6-chip anymore. They have a new chip named H616 which is not compatible with LibreELEC at all. Do not buy any new Tanix TX6!

For Anyone looking for a cheap device I can recommend at the moment the Gotit Arm S905-Box: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/325680287…o2usa4itemAdapt with Amlogic S905w.

The 1GB8GB-Version works out of the box with the old LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.2.3.1.img, and the dtb and remote.conf attached.

The S905w supports video decoding only up to 5K@30fps, enough for most 4KUHD sources. HDR working.

Strange recommendation for old hardware and software and recent reviews on ali also mentioning LE... :/

Sorry, but how come MXIII is not supported, when it says so in the first post?

I will release LE9.x images for only for the two devices i own - MXIII-PLUS/MXIII-G/PROBOX2-EX-PLUS - S82/S82B/S82H/MXIII/S89/S89H and that's it.

Now that you point that out and I read it again, I may indeed have misunderstood which platforms demetris is supporting with his 9.x releases. I was probably under the impression MXIII-only boxes (by that I mean not the PLUS or G versions or whatever other variants are out there) had been dropped because of other comments I've read somewhere in this thread.

Maybe someone else can clarify, but In the download sections for 9.0 or 9.0.2 there are only two types of image hardware designations: "MXIII_PLUS" and "S82". I assumed that meant my MXIII wouldn't be compatible since it's an S802 (and also because it was called an "M82" in the settings section of Android when I was still running that).

If "S82" actually means "S82/S82B/S82H/MXIII/S89/S89H" then you're right and it sounds like some MXIII boxes should probably work. Could "S82" mean what was previously referred to as "S8X2" in the image names? I'm also not clear on whether an "MXIII"-compatible image would be for the 1G or 2G ram models or both.

I guess the quickest way might be to have a go with an "S82" image on a MXIII-only box and see if it works.Unfortunately I don't have access to my own MXIII box at the moment.

A few days after my first post and I have a couple of breakthroughs to report!

Thanks to a post I stumbled on elsewhere I found that my board's reset microswitch is flakey...and that by shorting its two pins on the back of the board I am able to activate the reset mode properly. This explains some of the inconsistencies I was seeing when trying to use the toothpick method to get the usb port detected, boot sd cards or go into recovery. So my device wasn't completely bricked and I got the usb burning tool back in business and flashed a working Android image to bring my MXIII back to life.

Opening the box also yielded better information about what hardware I have...the sticker on the board says:

NETXEON MXIII V3.1 S802/AP6181/1G/8G

I made yet another pass at reading this topic and I noticed post #1572 (thanks Asxetos) which mentions starting by flashing and old OpenElec image from recovery and then upgrading to a more recent Libreelec image using a tar file. After hunting down a compatible image (OpenElec-Amlogic-MX3.arm-5.0.6.zip from MEGA), I tried it and sure enough, an alternative linux installation succeeded for the first time. Then I upgraded to LibreElec also without any issues (LibreELEC-S8X2.arm-8.2.3-MXIII-1G.tar from the link in post #1 of this topic).

So my MXIII is now running LE 8.2.3 with Kodi 17.6, everything seems to work and, as I had hoped, it boots and runs *way* faster than my Raspberry Pi.

This solution won't help anyone not prepared to sacrifice dual-boot...sadly I never found a device tree (dtb) file or any way to make a LibreElec install image boot from sdcard on my hardware.

Now the next step would be to get an upgrade to a 9.x version of LibreElec to work (have not tried that) but as far as I understand the hardware platform I have is not being actively worked on by Demetris anymore (thanks alot for the 8.2.3 image though).

Cheers.

Linux (and LibreElec which is obviously Linux based) has the annoying habit of leaking you're ISP's DNS address which could possibly reveal you're identity, although you're connected to a VPN. Just change you're DNS server to one of the open source DNS servers like OpenNic or public DNS and that should fix you're problem. Choose one of the DNS server addresses at OpenNIC Project. Then in Kodi goto LibreElec Configuration addon => Connections. Choose the connection you use, then click on "edit". Then choose DNS-servers and enter in nameserver #1 the DNS address you've chosen from OpenNic. (for example: 195.10.195.195 which is a german name server) Then reboot... That should fix you're problem... Here's some reading material about DNS leakage in Linux: How to check and fix DNS leak in Linux

(If you really want to be secure, you could also implement a "VPN Kill Switch". This makes sure you can only access the internet through you're VPN. As soon you're VPN connection drops, you're entire internet connection will be cut off, making sure that you're own public IP address won't be revealed...)

Thanks for this information! It has allowed me to get a geolocked addon working properly using expressvpn. I just switched the ipv4 connection type to manual instead of dhcp which then allowed me to delete the DNS server IPs altogether and forced DNS requests to go through the VPN tunnel.

Hi,

Boy oh boy what a frustrating experience these amlogic boxes can be. I've spent days and days reading all 90 or so pages of this topic, endlessly going back to some section or other to check back on newly gleaned nuggets of information, tried countless ways of getting all sorts of images of Librelec flashed on what I believe is an S802 MX III 1G/8G box from around 2014, to no avail, and only to end up bricking it.

The main problem I never really got past was the file corruption error at boot time on the sd card. A usb attempt booted the Librelec install at the early stages when I still had an older Android image, but then got into a boot looop. Recovery mode seems sometimes reachable, sometimes not. Later I got the Remix image flashed and working (which also installed a working TWRP recovery) but it didn't help booting librelec from an sd card, and neither did any of the other fixes suggested (flashing 812 bootloader or image containing one, flashing dual boot fix, adding a nocompat file...). When I tried bypassing the sd card file corruption problem by flashing even earlier or different flavours of Librelec some got past boot but none ever managed to complete an install, freezing up instead or crashing with storage or memory errors.

What's hard to comprehend is the variable behaviour of this box: sometimes one method will seem to work, then later it no longer works...very tough to proceed in a pragmatic way when the parameters keep shifting on you. I'm not sure who the manufacturer of my MX III is, I got it on Amazon and the two names mentioned in the original ad for it ("Andoer" and "Dodocool") seem at best to be very minor players so maybe I have some sub-standard clone. Under Android 4.4.x the box worked ok though but using that it seems tough to get a recent version of Kodi working properly.

Anyway, to give merit where it's due, for the record I also have a Raspberry PI 1 B+ from around the same period, and I was able to flash Librelec 9.0.2 on it at the first try and it brought up Kodi 18.2 fine. The user experience is a bit sluggish for everyday use but it can run a 1080p video if you're patient enough for it to load up. What's annoying is I reckon the MX III hardware would probably do better than the PI...if only I had managed to get the pesky thing to make friends with Librelec.

I guess I should just bite the bullet and buy the most up to date box for which an official Librelec image is available. Thanks to all those who contribute here and elsewhere for the ride.