Posts by Meganiekje

Great, I've got a report from a LE dev to that it works now.

Which refresh-rate change issue?

5schatten: The xorg.conf fix for screen-tearing in chrome browser with nvidia gpu's is disabled if 'adjust refresh rate to video' is used. (i did not test this with the new driver, only with the legacy driver)

for details look here : Screen tearing issue with Nvidia GPU

Build RR-20190902-c5f1fc8 | uploaded for Generic | Index of /nightly/

updated libglvnd & xorg-config to possibly fix nvidia-legacy driver

Meganiekje can you give this build a try?

5schatten : This version fixed the bootloop problem on the Nvidia 8400gs GPU with legacy driver :thumbup::)

The xorg.conf still works to fix the tearing in the chrome browser. (the issue with refresh-rate change is still present)

If the browser does not start just post the logfiles. I could fix the tearing at the default Xorg.conf but I'm not sure if this will break other legacy hardware configs.

5schatten: I did a full kodi 'hard reset' to make sure that the chrome browser start problem is not in my config.

here is the logfile: kodi.log

I think it is not wise to fix the tearing in the default Xorg.conf, you need to get this exacly right for the used GPU otherwise the system will not boot. You could make some sort of 'switch' to select which Xorg.conf to use to fix the tearing ?

5schatten : I did test the RR-20190901 version on a AMD RV710 (hd4570) and it seems O.K. The screen tearing in the chrome browser is not yet fixed by default. (The Xorg.conf trick does work to fix the tearing)

On a Intel SandyBridge mobile (HD3000) GPU, I was unable to start the chrome browser. I get a message about installing Chrome, but the browser does not start. Please tell me what you need to get more info.

Kodi seems to work o.k. on the HD3000.

It was tested with Intel systems which use Intel IGP & a system that uses a GTX 1060 card. I have no system which would use the Nvidia-legacy driver 340.107 for series 500 cards and older so this hasn't been tested yet.

5schatten I did test it with a Nvidia geforce 8400gs card, this card did work with your stable version, using the 340.107 driver.

After upgrading to version RR-20190901 the system does not show the splash screen, and does not show the GUI.

I can see the mouse cursor, but the screen stays black. Then the system goes into an endless bootloop.

Logfiles are attached.: logfiles.zip

bionor : With the help of 5Schatten (LibreElec-RR), I did some tests to fix screentearing. This seems to be a big issue in Linux, as there are lots of posts about it on the www.

What did i find so far :

On AMD/Ati videocards you fix the tearing bij adding this xorg.conf file to the .config folder: (i'll explain later how-to)

Code
    Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Radeon"
        Driver      "radeon"
        Option "DRI" "3"
        Option "TearFree" "on"
        Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
    EndSection

If you have an Intel videocard, use this xorg.conf:

Code
    Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Device0"
        Driver      "intel"
        VendorName  "INTEL Corporation"
        Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
        Option "TearFree" "true"
    EndSection

I you have a Nvidia videocard, it is more complex, and there is the following issue:

The screentearing fix works fine, as long as the screen-refresh rate stays on the same Hz as the initial Hz when Libreelec boots.

If you use "Adjust display refresh-rate" (and then play f.i. a 24 fps video) the fix for the screen-tearing is disabled, until the next reboot.

For Nvidia use the following xorg.conf file: (with the auto-select forcefullcompositionpipeline => mostly 60Hz )

To force a 50Hz boot-up refesh-rate, you could use this option, instead of the auto-select :

Code
     "metamodes" "1920x1080_50 +0+0 {ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On}"

How to add the xorg.conf file to LibreElec:

1) Make yourself "Expert" user.

2) Find out which brand of video card is in your system : Settings/System_information/video.

3) Make (on another PC) a 'plain text' file named: Xorg.conf, put the correct code in the file and save it on a USB-stick.

You can use NotePad, but make sure, windows does NOT add the '.txt' extension at the end of the filename.

4) In libreelec : Settings/Media/General , set all switches to "On".

5) In libreelec : Settings/File manager, Add_source/browse/home folder, select the .config folder and click 'ok'.

6) In file_manager, open the .config folder in the left pane, insert the USB-stick and open that in the right pane.

7) Select the xorg.conf file, and use the context_menu (c key on the keyboard) to copy the xorg file to the .config folder.

Now you have to reboot librelec to activate the video-card settings.

WARNING: IF YOU SELECT THE WRONG FILE FOR YOUR VIDEO-CARD, LIBREELEC WILL NOT BOOT !!

You need to SSH into the linux system to delete the wrong file, and reboot, or re-install libreelec from scratch.

So make sure you have a full LibreElec system backup on your USB-stick before you start modifying the xorg.conf.

I tested this on several AMD,Intel and Nvidia cards with Kodi Leia (Mesa 19.1.x), and it works fine. (except for the Nvidia issue)

When you use the LibreElec build-in chrome browser, you need to do this, otherwise the screen will tear like hell...

Good luck !

You could test if this xorg.conf solves the Nvidia tearing too https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/nvid…_screen_tearing

Hi 5schatten ,

It worked !

I tested on a laptop :

HP DV9700, CPU Core2duo T7250,

GPU: Geforce 8600M Nvidia

OpenGL driver: 3.3.0. Nvidia 340.107

I could not get this driver to switch on hardware acceleration in chrome (type chrome://gpu in the browser search bar to check)

Playing video was lagging, stuttering and tearing.

After inserting the xorg.conf, i was able to activate the hardware acceleration, and video was smooth and no tearing.

Also tested on a desktop, this desktop (core2 Quad E9400) was able to play the videos with software rastering, but a lot of tearing.

The GPU is a GeForce 8400GS

After using the Xorg.conf, hardware acceleration was activated, and tearing was gone !!

This is what i used in the Xorg.conf file for the laptop:

Maybe we should make a new item about this, as many users will have this problem.

Hi 5schatten,

I did test the different hardware today, below are my findings:

Good news : it works on AMD/ATI and Intel gpu's.

What did i use: Libreelec RR-20190614 with linux 5.1.9. kernal and Xorg 3.3 Mesa 19.1.0.

This is a test for the TearFree option in the Radeon driver, when the Chrome browser is used to play a video.

I thas nothing to do with kodi playing video, that was already tearfree for all hardware.

Hardware:

Asus K52J , CPU: intel i3-M350,

GPU: AMD Cedar RV810 (HD5430)

This video : YouTube tears like hell in the chrome browser, the build-in version and the add-on version.

With the Option "TearFree" "on" the tearing has gone !!

Hp compaq 8510p, CPU core2 duo T7500,

GPU: AMD RV630 (HD2600 mobile)

TearFree fixes the problem here too.

Acer 5732z, CPU Pentium dual core T4400

GPU: AMD RV710

Problem fixed with TearFree on.

Dell Latitude E6320, CPU i5-2520M

GPU: Mesa DRI Intel SandyBridge mobile (this is an Intel GPU)

Needs a different Xorg.conf file, the one in post #1702 does the trick !!

Tearing is gone !!

HP DV9700, CPU Core2duo T7250,

GPU: Geforce 8600M Nvidia (this is not a AMD nore INTEL)

I could not get this driver to switch on hardware acceleration in chrome (type chrome://gpu in the browser search bar to check)

Playing video was lagging, stuttering and tearing.

Make sure to make a full libreelec backup, and save it on a usb stick before you start messing with the Xorg.conf file.

If you make a mistake, Xorg will not start, and kodi UI will not show.

I hope this helps...

. If these settings fix tearing then report back. I already talked to the LE dev guys why tear free was disabled in the past and it was probably a workaround for oldschool hardware.

If your fix works for AMD stuff then I'll add it to my FAQ since I have to add the Intel fix anyway.

Hi 5schatten,

I have several laptops with different AMD/ATI hardware. I will test them all with different settings in the xorg.conf, and report back to you.

Thanks for your support in this. I'll test it on the build-in chrome and the addon chrome browser.

Hi 5schatten,

I love your work, the RR version is the best version for me so far !

But.... i have quite some problems with screen tearing in the chrome browser.

I did try several gpu hardware: amd rv630, rv720, hd3000 they all tear.

Only a amd rv880 works perfect.

I read things about modifying a conf file, but libreelec does not allow that by default.

Could you, by any change, add those options

Code
    Section "Device"   
     Identifier "Radeon"   
     Driver "radeon"   
     Option "TearFree" "on"   
     Option "DRI" "3"   
     Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
    EndSection

to your RR_CONFIGURATION settings like you did with the audio settings for chrome? That would make the tweaking a lot more easy.

Thanks !

Hi mglae,

Thanks, that worked !!

This is what i did: (maybe someone else has this problem too)

I use the LibreElec(RR-20190423) build from 5schatten.(thanks man, you rock !)

Kernal version: 5.0.9., Mesa 19.0.2. , openGL vs3.3. Kodi 18.2.

I have an AMD PhenomII X6 1055T CPU (6 core) with onboard graphics RS880 (AMD/ATI HD42XX)

I logged in via SSH, and type: mount -o remount,rw /flash (to make the system writeable)

Then type: nano /flash/syslinux.cfg  (to edit the linux boot config, for LibreElec)

After the word 'quiet' i add: radeon.lockup_timeout=2000 (to make the GPU driver reset itself after 2 sec. instead of 10.)

Save the file with CtrlX, and reboot.

Now the resume takes only 3 seconds instead of 12.

It is not usefull to go below 2 seconds lockup_timeout, because it also takes 2 seconds for the network to resume.

I can confirm that VAAPI h264 hardware acceleration works with this setup (kodi 18.2 and AMD IGPU).

Only, after suspend/resume, i get a black screen on the video's. Reboot does restore the VAAPI function.

H265/Hevc hardware acceleration does not work: the HD4200 can not do that.

Also, on the kodi Chrome browser (version 73.0.3683), hardware acceleration works, and the screen is smooth and no trearing.

Hi Yubby,

I see the same thing on my AMD_x64 box. I have a RS880 GPU as well.

The artifact in the middle is your mouse pointer !

I could solve some of the problems by using the LibreElec(RR) version form 5Schatten, the artifact is gone now...

He uses a newer kernel and the newer openGL 19.0.2 Radeon video driver.

You still have the GPU lockup for 10 seconds after resume, then the softreset kicks in, and the kodi screen is restored to normal.

I do not know if Harware acceleration is restored too, i don't use it.

See my post : 'AMD GPU lockup'

Hi to All !!

I'm using LibreElec for a long time now, and i really like it !!

I use a 6 core AMD_x64 that can software-decode Hevc without problems. (i even have 2 cores disabled to save energy)

Lately I had to move to LE9.0.1 because of DRM.

Since the new linux kernel, resume from sleep takes 12 seconds instead of 2 seconds.

It turns out to be the onboardGPU that locks-up during suspend/resume. The new kernel has a soft-reset function, but that takes 10.000 msec to react.

Is there a way to shorten the reaction time to f.i. 2 seconds ? or force a softreset directly ?

Google tells me to use the "lockup_timeout=xxxxx" command, but that does not seem to work.

I attached the dmesg: at 82.479772 Resume starts, at 94.790050 the GPU lockup is detected, and softreset kicks in.

Is there a linux-guru around to help me ?

Thanks in advance !!

After the update from LE8 to LE9.0.1 the wakeup from suspend does not work as it used to do before the update.

I use a MCE remote, connected to a usb port of a X86 PC. I did not change anything in the bios, or in the PC configuration.

When the PC is in suspend mode and i press the powerbutton on the MCEremote, i see the PC wake-up, and go back into suspend within a second.

I can get it to wakeup propperly if i give a very very short tap on the MCERemote powerbutton, but that is almost impossible to do for my wife and kids.

It seems like something has changed in the button repeat timing.

How can I fix this ?