Posts by Bert Coules

Apologies if this is a very basic question but I've searched around and can't find the answer.

I have an HTPC running LibreELEC 18.2, set up as part of a small home network. The PC has one internal hard drive and a sound card with a single HDMI socket used to connect it to my amplifier.

Also connected to the amp are a reel-to-reel tape deck and a vinyl-disc turntable; these obviously are not part of the network, but the amp is. Is there a way of transferring audio material from these sources to the HTPC's hard drive? The computer has its own audio in/out sockets but I'm not sure if these are still active or have been disabled by the insertion of the sound card.

I know I could do it via a direct connection with a Windows OS and suitable software, but can it done with LibreELEC/Kodi?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.

That's a good notion. I'll see what I've got that's suitable...

LATER...

My Marantz AV receiver is network-capable (though I've never used that aspect of it) so I connected it to the router. And there it is, in the network listing: I can access its setup menus from my Windows 7 PC.

On the other hand - something else I'd forgotten and only noticed while connecting up the receiver- my Sky HD box was already connected to the router. And the connecton works: I can access all the various on-demand services. However it doesn't show up as part of the network and as far as I know never has - but perhaps it's designed that way? I tried entering the Sky IP address in Windows Explorer and got nothing.

The Marantz's immediate trouble-free connection does suggest that it's the LibreELEC installation which is causing the network no-show.

That sounds like an excellent idea but I'm afraid I don't know how to do it. I'll investigate.

LATER...

Ah, that was easier than I was expecting: I didn't know that you can use an IP address in a shortcut, nor that you can mix a numeric address with a written subdirectory. But giving \\192.168.1.76\<specific media location> as the target takes me straight there.

Brilliant, thank you.

But I'd still like to know why the network option is refusing to work...

Yes, file and printer sharing are both enabled.

I checked services.msc. Computer Browser status is Started and Startup Type is Manual, with Log On As listed as Local System.

What's continuing to puzzle me is that, as I said, everything worked flawlessly in a previous installation (with the same hardware and also Windows 7 on the main PC) and I don't recall doing any particular deep-level configuration of the sort that I'm checking now.

Yes, both are set to Workgroup, at least as far as I can tell. And (ditto) there's no firewall.

The ping was successful.

But I did have one thought: I checked the Windows 7 network settings and discovered something I'd forgotten: I'd set a password. However, under Advanced sharing settings "password protected" is turned off.

LibreELEC settings has a Use Samba Password Authentication option, currently turned off. Is this the same thing as a network password?

I found the option to change the Workgroup name in LibreELEC settings. I made it Homegroup (which I assume is the name of the Windows network - I haven't yet found a way of confirming that it's the actual name but it's certainly described as a Homegroup.

I also rebooted both machines for good measure. And the HTPC still isn't there.

But I'm obviously close. I'll carry on experimenting. Thanks again.

It's a question of convenience really (or perhaps I'm just being lazy): transferring the files is just easier and quicker if both machines immediately show up when I go to Computer or Network on the Windows 7 PC.

There's also the point that I got it to work in the previous installation and it's annoying that I've not been able to do that again.

I can't see a way of changing the Samba designation to "Homegroup". Perhaps I'll try changing the Windows 7 group name to "Workgroup". Might that work?

But of course you're right: I can now transfer the files, albeit with a little bit of fiddling about. Thanks so much for that.

Thanks for the detailed advice. The ping to the HTPC seemed to be wholly successful:

Packets: Sent = 4. Received = 4. Lost = 0 (0% loss).

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms. Maximum = 0ms. Average = 0ms.

The \\<ip address>\ was also successful and brought up a list of the HTPC folders.

But despite all that, the LibreELEC machine still doesn't show up in the Window 7 Network list.

The ip address are:

192.168.1.64 (Windows 7 PC)

192.168.1.76 (HTPC)

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yes, Samba is enabled, but checking the settings just now I noticed that they refer to "Workgroup". The Windows network is designated "Homegroup" - could that be the problem?

I could try connecting the HTPC directly to the main PC but wouldn't that still involve a network? The connection would have to be by Ethernet cable.

I don't quite understand your last question. Do you mean "when entering the IP from the LibreELEC macine into the network settings on the main PC?".

You'll gather from this that I'm not particularly technically savvy when it comes to networking, so I'm grateful for your help.

I've searched around for help with this but not found anything useful. If the information is out there somewhere I'd be grateful for a pointer in the right direction, or failing that, any thoughts and suggestions here would be very welcome.

I'm trying to set up a very basic wired home network, with only two components: one desktop PC running Windows 7 and another, used as an HTPC, running LibreELEC (version 9.0.0, recently clean installed). The connection is simply that both the Windows 7 PC and the HTPC are connected to the router.

The basic use for the network will be to transfer media files from the Windows 7 PC to the HTPC.

The problem is that although the LibreELEC machine reports the network as "Status: Online" it doesn't show up in the Network display on the Windows 7 machine. What's infuriating is that a previous network using the same hardware (but an earlier version of LibreELEC) did work perfectly: and as far as I'm aware I followed exactly the same setup procedures with this latest attempt. Since then, both machines have had their software reinstalled.

As I said, I'd be very grateful for any help. Many thanks.