Posts by jaspov

User posts about low-quality Realtek device delivering low-quality performance. LE staff feign surprise and advise user that the $2 USB wireless thing they purchased is garbage. User asks for officially supported and recomended alternative cheap USB wireless devices. LE staff refuse to recommend anything because all the cheap USB wireless stuff you can find is similar garbage. LE staff recommend a wireless bridge that presents Ethernet to the RPi2. User protests that $20 (for a used Apple A1rport express on eBay) is an outrageous idea and makes pithy comments about our decision to not add more low-quality realtek drivers to our distro (so they can purchase the latest expensive USB Realtek wireless garbage instead of older cheap garbage). Eventually user gives up and gets a wireless bridge that just works and the pithy comments stop.

^ is usually how these threads play out..

Thanks chewitt, will skip a few steps and look at a bridge ;)

Fully see your point, and appreciate all the hard work done by you and many others.

Have been googling a bit more and in the mean time found my error of opting for Realtek, only recall finding realtek on a compatibility list somewhere. Wish I had stumbled upon the bridge earlier but was probably googling for dongles and never found it because of that narrow scope.

Update: Apple device is now running. Looked for adds and found one 950m from here :) So far so good!

I recently moved a libreelec pi2 to a room without UTP. I have sourced a RTL8188 USB wifi dongle, I am no expert but through this forum and links to compatablity lists I think that would have been a save bet (happy to be proved wrong, open to suggestions for worryfree alternatives).

Wifi with this dongle has been far from trouble free. After every reboot the wifi connection is listed as failed. If I then connect it will connect but I never know how long that stays working.

I already changed the network timeout on boot to 30s.

Just tried to move a backup file (400mb) ov er Wifi to my laptop and I never succeeded in downloading the file. I moved it to a room with UTP just to get it done.

Searching here i found the lsusb -v command.

Happy to post logs but am now connected to UTP in order to download them so advice appreciated on what to "do" while logging is on. Assume unplug UTP, try to connect, have it fail a few times and then connect via UTP to get the log?

After moving my pi2 to a room without ethernet access I want to add a WiFi USB Dongle. I tried search but seem to fail to find one that should work effortlessly (instalation wise, I am aware of WiFi limitations). I found a thread suggesting virgin branded WNDA3200 adapters (which use ath9k (must admit I do not know what that is) but can't seem to find those now. Any recommendations for a dongle on ebay or aliexpress?

I am having more issues and found a workaround! I had more stuttering issues with a downloaded tv show. Turns aut that switching deinterlace settings from auto to off fixes it completely. It is a 25FPS file on a pi2, I read some fixes are for Intel chipsets so not sure if this is related but it looks as if Kodi picks a deinterlace setting my pi2 can't handle (and playback is fine with it off, so it is not needed).

I don't understand how this works so will post all details and log, perhaps someone undertands what is going on

Full log uploaded to: http://ix.io/1ia6

-enabled debug log, rebooted, started playback (choppy), switched deinterlace to off (from auto), played a bit more (played fine

1. Playing with deinterlace on AUTO, it says it is using adv(x2) on my pi2. Playback is choppy and out of sync

2. stats when playback is choppy. frame skips is stable at 2 strangely. buffer seems high

3. choppy playback (deinterlace to auto) with debug log on (after reboot)

4. With debug log still on same screen with deinterlace set to off

Mediainfo on the file in question (downloaded, recorded tv episode)

General

ID : 1 (0x1)

Complete name : U:\Series\Cold Feet\Season 06\Cold_Feet_S06E08_NPO3_HD_VARA_20161216.m2ts

Format : BDAV

Format/Info : Blu-ray Video

File size : 2.97 GiB

Duration : 44 min 36 s

Overall bit rate mode : Variable

Overall bit rate : 9 526 kb/s

Video

ID : 4113 (0x1011)

Menu ID : 1 (0x1)

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : High@L4

Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Format settings, RefFrames : 4 frames

Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15

Codec ID : 27

Bit rate : 7 984 kb/s

Width : 1 920 pixels

Height : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Frame rate : 25.000 FPS

Standard : PAL

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : MBAFF

Scan type, store method : Interleaved fields

Scan order : Top Field First

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.154

Stream size : 2.49 GiB (84%)

Color range : Limited

Color primaries : BT.709

Transfer characteristics : BT.709

Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio #1

ID : 4352 (0x1100)

Format : MPEG Audio

Format version : Version 1

Format profile : Layer 2

Codec ID : 4

Bit rate mode : Constant

Bit rate : 256 kb/s

Channel(s) : 2 channels

Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz

Compression mode : Lossy

Delay relative to video : 86 ms

Stream size : 81.7 MiB (3%)

Language : ned

Language, more info : Clean effects

Audio #2

ID : 4353 (0x1101)

Format : AC-3

Format/Info : Audio Coding 3

Format settings, Endianness : Big

Codec ID : 129

Bit rate : 448 kb/s

Channel(s) : 6 channels

Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)

Bit depth : 16 bits

Delay relative to video : 31 ms

Stream size : 143 MiB (5%)

Service kind : Complete Main

Audio #3

ID : 4353 (0x1101)

Format : AC-3

Format/Info : Audio Coding 3

Format settings, Endianness : Big

Codec ID : 129

Bit rate : 448 kb/s

Channel(s) : 6 channels

Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)

Bit depth : 16 bits

Delay relative to video : 63 ms

Stream size : 143 MiB (5%)

Service kind : Complete Main

Just watched a video yesterday that played "choppy" and out of sync with audio. Learned a few weeks ago that this can happen with 10 bit files, so I checked and this file is 8-bit.

In Libreelec I brought up stats and CPU does not seem to choke which usually happened when I had issues. Also checked the file on windows and it plays smooth and in sync there.

On screen stats show CPU low values and only a few skips (when playback is choppy the skip counter does not go up). I did notice the err: value as well at (12.3ms in picture) variating constantly with values from -22 to +18 when playing. Never paid much attenttion to this value so unsure if it is a key to the solution.

Below I added Mediainfo (from MPC-HC in windows) and playback screenshot. Happy to add logs if it helps but perhaps this info is already sufficient to show I am asking my pi2 to play a file it is not equiped to handle?

Running LibreELEC (Leia) v8.95.3 BETA on a pi model 2. I have a 720p movie that drops a lot of frames, making it unwatchable.

With debug log on I see it plays at about 8fps and all CPU's are above 90% (fluctuating to a 100%). Is this due to the specific codecs in the file or another issue?

File plays fine on laptop (just checked)

Attached file with mediainfo. Now downloading the zip file with full debug log, which files from the zip are needed?

Running 8.1.2 on a raspberry pi 2. No new install have been running for months, auto updating to latest version every time.

Remote is a harmony connected bia bluetooth, works nice and fast. Running Estuary stock skin.

Since a few days I noticed the menu button on the Harmony remote no longer works. Need it when viewing videos to go to audio/subtitle menus.

-Tested menu button when viewing tv (on my tv, so without Kodi) and works 100% there so remote hasnt failed.

-Checked harmony setup, menu key still mapped to "kodi device" and "menu" action

Recall from earlier days how there are keymaps that can be configured but as everything worked, was there a recent change in this area?

log: (here I press menu a few times, then start John Wick movie, and press "menu" another ~20 times once it plays

################################################################################ - Pastebin.com

Make sure retroarch is off and in retroarch.cfg find "audio_device = " and edit it to audio_device = "hw:0,0"

Launch retroarch and it should work...

You can also do it from retroarch settings and instead of that square symbol type hw:0,0

I got the same setup as you and this worked for me to get audio working from hdmi...havent tried yet trough the headphone jack of the pi yet...

Thanks! Have been rereading parts of the thread and indeed I need to add hw:0,0 to make it work

Does the square have any meaning? Have changed so much by now also in config.txt that I am trying to grasp what happened in case I need to set up again. config.txt is pi wide so hope I don't mess up Kodi.

Anyway working, will test tomorrow what the impact now is of undoing the config.txt changes.

I am struggling to get sound working over HDMI. Using a Raspberry Pi 2 and up to date Libreleec (8.1.2). HDMI cable to receiver and from that on to TV.

I installed the repository and retroarch and Emulation Station. For now focusing on retroarch. I can start it, use controller and launch games but no audio.

I have read parts of this thread and used google and these are the things I have tried:

-Raspberry config.txt, added some lines (drive=2 and edid_audio=1 and group=1 and mode=16), now looks like this

[all]

include distroconfig.txt

dtparam=audio=on

initial_turbo=0

hdmi_drive=2

hdmi_force_edid_audio=1

hdmi_group=1

hdmi_mode=16

hdmi_pixel_encoding=0

hdmi_ignore_hotplug=0

hdmi_edid_file=0

- Also tried aplay -l, this is my response. Similar to another user in this thread. Am I correct in assuming this meand hardware 0,0? I also often read 1,3 and honestly have no clue what it is and am simply following instructions

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]

Subdevices: 8/8

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Subdevice #1: subdevice #1

Subdevice #2: subdevice #2

Subdevice #3: subdevice #3

Subdevice #4: subdevice #4

Subdevice #5: subdevice #5

Subdevice #6: subdevice #6

Subdevice #7: subdevice #7

card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]

Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

This is also where I struggle most. I edited retroarch.cfg in /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.retroarch where I know have:

audio_device = "0,0" – no other edits in this file.

I also looked in retroarch settings where audio is set to alsa (tried a few others). After launch audio device was listed as a square symbol □. I also changed that to 0,3 and 0.3 (assume comma) and other combinations like 0.0 and 0.2

Audio is not muted in settings and I set gain to +1. And this is where I am stuck now.

Any clues on where/how I should continue?

This is all really strange. My MCE remote (via harmony) stopped yesterday. have been trying to get it back to work for an hour now (Hope I haven't messed up Harmony settings now). Trying a restore first, made a kodi backup two weeks ago.

Running 8.0.1 on Pi2 device, did not update this last week.