Posts by jernej

Due to historical reasons, DEVICE means SoC now, so DEVICE=R40. If you want to make image instead of just update tar file, you should also add UBOOT_SYSTEM=bananapi-m2u.

Note that Bananapi M2U is not really a good choice for media device. R40 doesn't support HEVC, doesn't have power management coprocessor, which means there is no stand-by implemented, and supports only HDMI 1.4. If you want relatively cheap, solid TV box, Tanix TX6 (Allwinner H6) or clones are good choice, at least when looking at Allwinner based devices.

On boards which don't come with IR remote, default IR wake up button is set to RC6 MCE (Windows Media Center remotes) power button, because these are most common. If you want to change that, you have to patch crust config file and rebuild the image (clean at least crust and u-boot packages).

I'm not sure what could be the reason with CEC - does it work for navigating menus? If so, how do you wake it up? It should wake up together with TV, but there will be several seconds delay before you'll see any image.

According to your error message, you're probably running out of memory. If so, you can increase swap partition (if you have it) or limit number of threads to build by prepending build command with something like THREADCOUNT=2. Of course you can experiment with the number of threads, 2 is given just for example.

XR819 is planned to be supported by mainline kernel driver (no ETA), so it will be supported by LE too. You can try to use above driver by building your own custom image, but you'll hit usual obstacles with such drivers. This is exactly the reason why we decided against including out of tree (non-mainline) wifi kernel drivers.

There are differences in HW and because of that, it's not supported. LTS Wifi and ethernet aren't supported, and wifi won't be (no mainline driver). Bigger issue is PMIC configuration, which prevents boot. In any case, I don't have the board, so there won't be any support for this board unless someone steps in.

SoC is the same, so it will function the same. A64 does support HEVC HW decoding and it works just fine. However, it supports only 8-bit depth. If you have 10-bit depth (10-bit or HDR in file name), it will fall back to software decoding and CPU is just too weak for that.

I don't know, I don't have board at hand. You can check schematic and measure component on your board though, there is one 37.5 ohm resistor on CVBS trace. However, there isn't much that could break physically (mostly passive components), it's more likely driver issue.

Everything looks ok in dmesg output. I don't remember testing H5 specifically, but on H3 worked fine. As you might know, H3 and H5 have basically same or very similar peripheral, except CPU and GPU, so this is unexpected. I guess I'll test it on H3 too.

Well, dmesg output would be more helpful, but Kodi is also useful. It says: CDRMUtils::FindCrtc - original crtc mode: 720x576i @ 50 Hz which means it uses CVBS output. Do you see LibreELEC logo at boot or nothing at all?

H616 won't be supported by LE for a long time. Two main issues - no proper audio driver (very hacky hdmi audio driver exists, but I'm not willing to maintain used hacks) and bigger issue display driver is not good enough (it lacks support for YUV format and scaling, which is essential).

H6 is arguably better for LE:

- it has power management coprocessor, which can be programmed and supports many ways for powering up or resuming from sleep

- it has USB3

H616 has following advantages over H6:

- better GPU, but LE doesn't use it much aside for drawing GUI and some addons

- supports 4 GiB RAM max, while H6 only 3 GiB max. But that's not big deal either