Posts by shippy

I know that you can restore your backup tar file from the tv box by using the 2nd menu item Restore in the LE System Settings.

But how can you restore the backup tar file (copied to my HDD) on Windows 7 on the SD card with a standard LE boot image burned?

Edit. I was able to do that under Ubuntu mate 18.04 by changing external folder permissions in terminal (Nautilus was nada.) Perhaps not in Win7 since ext4 .storage can't be read?

Please check this link for the failed boot pic:

https://m.imgur.com/q8xzgfp

I have an X96mini S905W p281 1/8GB box running CoreELEC 8.95.6 (Leia RC2) internally on eMMC. I tried to run balbes S905 aarch64 19Dec build with dtb.img as gxl_ p281_1g generic and same in uEnv.ini and data_to_emmc_uEnv.ini files.

What I get is start of boot with my custom splash screen from CoreElec S905 aarch64 OS with same dtb.img coming up with the brief LE- balbes log.

Is there a way to get a detailed log?

You want when installed in eMMC, at the same time to move the settings that are made while the system is running from external media ?

Have you tried all the dtb for the "gxl" series (s905x s905d s905w etc) ?

balbes150

1. Re: eMMC backup to .img.

What I would like is to just backup all the LE JeOS + settings/configuration I have done after installing the original S905-arm.img from your repo.

This way I don't have to first backup the settings/config via LE backup menu, then install LE.img fresh on an SD card, and finally restore my LE backup from eMMC onto the SD card. Too many steps.

Later, to keep this image size to a minimum, I can do this single backup of LE JeOS + settings from eMMC on a 2GB USB stick or use gparted to shrink this image on a bigger USB/SD card.

Right now there is no direct way to backup an eMMC installed LE with settings except maybe with Linux dd disk copy (if LE supports it.) But people do backup their Android OS with all settings/configuration included via TWRP.

2. I have already returned the third p282 S905W box ! So when I get a new box, I will try all dtb listed in your repo next time.πŸ˜‚

Audio is currently HDMI only and 2ch, but there's been activity on the DesignWare audio IP in the last coupe of weeks; the same IP is shared with Allwinner and Rockchip hardware. Some work is needed on the Amlogic i2s driver next, but that will probably happen in the next month as long as people don't get too carried away with video stuff which is a bit more exciting.

I've no idea what the differences are with p282 boards. I can make enquiries.

So there might be an kernel 4.xx AV audio+ video solution like for kernel 3.14 in the next few weeks?

I will certainly appreciate your p282 board S905W generic dtb inquiries πŸ±πŸˆπŸ‘ΊπŸ‘» I have searched in vain online- where several similar inquiries are unanswered !

The problem is that when you buy TV boxes online (or even offline) there is no indication apriori of p281 vs p282. That you learn from CPU-Z or from getting Android boot screen trying to boot from SD card via the standard toothpick method !

shippy Normal 1080p media works fine in 4.19+ kernel images. 4k support has caveats as the HDMI driver only supports 8-bit output at the moment so 10-bit formats like HEVC don't work right and in some situations can crash the box. Until Amlogic/ARM framebuffer compression support is added 4k also requires a CMA memory pool that's too large for 1GB RAM devices. Further work on 10-bit and AFBC is planned in January. Intel has also submitted changes for HDR support to the upstream kernel recently, and while it will take a few more iterations before patches are accepted and merged, once 10-bit support has been added we can start looking at how to hook into the proposed frameworks. If you stick to 1080p media and don't need deinterlacing (as this is still done in software) it's quite usable and I haven't used 3.14 kernel images since August this year. I don't know what S905W box you have but a 1GB/8GB TX3 mini I have runs fine. S905W should be nothing special for 4.19+ kernel as long as the correct device tree for the box is used.

That's all great news !

1. Is it true that 4.xx still doesn't support AV audio out? How about AV video out?

2. Any support on either kernel for the S905W p282 "newer" boards?

To return to the previous system in eMMC, you must run LE from external media before installation and perform a full backup via the "Libreelec/Service/eMMC/Create backup"menu item. The backup process can take up to 20-30 minutes (depending on the eMMC and the speed of the external media). After that, you can restore the state of the system at any time when the copy was created. Start the system from external media and perform the reverse procedure (restore from backup). Please note that the creation and restoration of a full copy of the eMMC must be performed by the specified commands (or by running scripts via SSH). Do not confuse this option to create a backup with options for backup for KODI is a totally different function.

Nice to see you back ☺

My question was not about LE backup or Kodi backup app, or Android restoration.

My question is asking if we can directly obtain an LE .image running in eMMC with all the new configuration settings and add-ons that a user has spent time with. This is better than getting a fresh stock LE image and then restoring all your settings/add-ons to it separately- backing up the updated .img directly from eMMC is a one step process.

Important information.

New images and update 20181217 for kernel 3.14 with the current time are the latest. I stopped producing images for LE S9xxx using kernel 3.14. I'm freezing a branch in my GIT soon, which is used to build version s9xxx with kernel 3.14.

For all future versions, I plan to use the new kernel. "4.xx"

Can kernel 4.xx be used now, with generic S9xxx TV boxes, for video streaming at 720p and higher without the no-HDMI-audio and other issues as before?

Now that we are nearing Leia release, would below instructions suffice to install GA on LE9 (currently I have balbes S905 build from Nov 28):

How to get Google Assistant on your Windows, Mac, or Linux Machine

I am assuming LE/Kodi already has the requisite Python framework. Or do we need additional instructions given LE is a RO JeOS?

How about for Alexa integration? Here I am only talking about the search/ Q&A part, not the KODI /apps access part, which is more Android TV OS.

I am thinking that a USB webcam or USB speaker/mic would do the voice job here.

Your definition of easier requires a multi-hour compile of a new image vs. 2 minutes work copying the oemsplash.png file. Unless you're doing some kind of bulk changes to many boxes (which means you're some kind of dodgy pirate box seller and you should go suck lemons) it's a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

I am not a box seller but a tinkerer- and believe me nobody is interested in selling LE boxes when plain Kodi boxes sell well without the multihour sledgehammer work you suggest !

In any case I am going to experiment myself- at worst I will brick a $30 box. At best I learn some easy trick- I am sure placing those 2 commands somewhere after the system/kernel/dtb copy in installtointernal script will do the trick πŸ˜‡

Thanks for the answers.

Yes I have updated to custom oemsplash using WinSCP, but if I could insert those commands in installtointernal at the appropriate place, it would automate the process as one step.

I browsed the installtointernal file- doesn't look complicated but I was looking for a dev answer before my own amateur attempts πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜Ž

*I know installtointernal is not officially supported, but I would like answers at my own risk* 😈😈😈

1. Does /storage represent the internal storage on the TV box?

2. Where is the SD card/USB stick represented?

3. Where is /flash located? Part of TV box internal memory or the SD card/USB stick itself?

4. How does file structure change after installtointernal as seen via, say, WinSCP login?

That is, from where are files copied on SD card/USB to TV box internal memory running $installtointernal ?

I can open the /usr/sbin/installtointernal file (kszaq) from the symlink seen on the TV box side logging in via WinSCP.

5. Now if I want to change the oemsplash screen to a custom one (say the custom oemsplash.png is in .kodi/userdata), where should I place the appropriate (?) commands in the installtointernal file?

$ mount -o remount,rw /flash

$ cp /storage/.kodi/userdata/oemsplash.png /flash/oemsplash.png

I want to be careful since there are some overwrite and data partition commands I should not mess with !

I came up with this idea since the custom oemsplash.png must be copied into /flash to override the LE oemsplash.png file which is in /boot (and thus cannot be changed without a recompile.)