Posts by Capt.Insano

In all tests so far, I have had my dd-wrt router assign a static IP to the device outside of the DHCP pool. I have tried the T95Z Plus with either dhcp and manual settings. No dice.

Interestingly: When I used your dtb as above it changed the MAC address of ethernet port. That dtb might be very specific to your device.

I am about to pull the dtb.img from my Android ROM which works perfectly.

Here is the LINK to gxm_q201 dtb images. They are for mentioned CoreElec versions and I don't think they will work on @wrextasy bulds

I used the above linked "gxm_q201_3g_gbit.dtb" as follows:

1. Armbian (kernel 3.14): Boots successfully but no wifi or ethernet

2. LibreELEC-S912.arm-18.0_20180601.img (this thread): no boot (black screen)

3. CoreElec (CoreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.2) : Boots, Wifi Works, Ethernet appears but only gets an IP address outside of my network (169.254.25.133, when my IP range is 192.168.1.x) and is useless.

Any further advice would be much appreciated. As you can see, I am willing to test anything and report!!

Thanks for all help so far!

Now I have a special q201 dtb.img with 1gb ethernet which works with CoreElec versions 8.90.1 and 8.90.2. (Latest CE 8.90.3 needs again new dtb.img)

Did not try it this new dtb.img with Armbian. If you want I can upload it so you can try it out...

Please upload it and at least I can try it with either this or Wrxtasy's 8.2.4.1 LibreElec.

Thanks a million!

P.S.: How does one go aout developing new device trees? (q201 w. 1gb ethernet)

OK,

Downloaded Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20180515.img.

1. It booted without manually changing any dtb.img.

2. Booted without any wifi and ethernet again non-responsive

3. "fw_printenv" command again listed "aml_dt=gxm_q201_unsupport"

4. manually moved "gxm_q200_3g.dtb" to root as "dtb.img"

5. No Boot (black screen after T95Z Logo)

6. manually moved "gxm_q201_3g.dtb" to root as "dtb.img"

7. Booted but again no wifi, no ethernet

What should I try next?

Try to run one of the Armbian (Mate\XFCE) variants from an external media and see how the network works with different dtb. Armbian is a normal Linux installation and it can easily change and store different settings for Internet and to check network performance. Boot to activate is no longer necessary (it is common with Libreelec of my assemblies).

I downloaded your Armbian build: Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_4.16.1_mate_20180515

1. It would not boot at all on my T95Z Plus unless I manually put the meson-gxm-q200.dtb on the root of the SD as dtb.img

2. After booting, wifi works but again eth0 is non-responsive.

3. I tried other device trees:

Code
    meson-gxm-q200.dtb
    meson-gxm-q201.dtb
    meson-gxm-khadas-vim2.dtb
    meson-gxm-nexbox-a1.dtb
    meson-gxm-rbox-pro.dtb
    meson-gxm-vega-s96.dtb

None of them allowed my ethernet to work.

I am falling down the rabbit hole trying to fix this problem. From posts I found about S912 on armbian.com I followed your recommendations balbes150 and ran "fw_printenv"

Is it normal that, as above: "aml_dt=gxm_q201_unsupport" even though I have the gxm_q200_3g.dtb in place on SD root as dtb.img?

Could this explain why my ethernet is completely messed up?

If you have any problems with the hardware, be sure to check the use of different dtb from the image.

Thanks for the advice, I used the gxm_q200_3g.dtb device tree: (S912, Gigabit Ethernet, 3GB Ram)

The USB works but the wired connection again just appeared and disappeared without allowing me to connect.

I have posted a dmesg | paste here if it could help solve the problem: http://ix.io/1cq3

As a temporary solution, I followed the advice in this thread : https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/11877-t95z-plus-3-32gb-display-and-network-problems-under-8-90-

which said to issue the following command to reduce the gigabit ethernet connection to 100Mbit:

Code
    echo 'ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full' >> /storage/.config/autostart.sh

This allows the ethernet port to remain active and to even get an IP address from my router.

Any suggestion on fixing the problem rather than reducing my ethernet port speeds would be much appreciated!

Edit: I spoke too soon. The ethernet is incredible unstable even after the above "fix" command and completely drops after a few minutes. If I then disconnect and reconnect via the libreelec settings it reports an IP address that is not part of my network and is useless. I also tried the gxm_q201_3g.dtb device tree and the ethernet is again not seen at all.

Just as a point: the ethernet works flawlessly in Android so I do not think it is faulty hardware.

Similar problem here as directly above:

Device: T95Z Plus (S912, 3GB Ram, Gigabit ethernet)

1. I downloaded the most recent (LibreELEC-S912.arm-18.0_20180601.img) at time of writing. Used Win32 disk imager to write to freshly formatted SD.

2. Rebooted using "reboot update" from terminal emulator to ensure multiboot was updated.

3. LibreElec booted but no USB keyboard/remote support

4. Removed the stock dtb.img from the sd card and tried again

5. LibreElec booted and my USB remote/keyboard worked perfectly but no ethernet connection appears under Settings/LibreElec/Connections

6. Reboot device

7. eth0 appears under Settings/LibreElec/Connections but when I choose to connect it disappears.

Any advice on getting ethernet working here?

Am I correct in having no dtb.img in the root of the SD card?

Any help greatly appreciated