Posts by DragonQ

exactly same problem here...

libreelec community build (LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2-8.2.2.3) video stuttering when subtitles are shown but livetv (mediaportal tvserver) running without any problems.

builds from wrxtasy (LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4-Subtitles-ff, LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4.1.force.444.10bit, LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4.2-fix-lost-audio-v2) videos with subtitles are running smoothly but kodi crashes everytime i'm starting livetv or even when I try to watch a recording :-/

please wrxtasy can you have a look on this? If you need something like logs or so just let me know!

thanx

Yep, I also get crashes with watching live TV via the MediaPortal PVR plugin using LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4.1.force.444.10bit. :(

I have run into this problem on my Minix U9-H also. I am using WiFi because I have no Ethernet ports in the bedroom, but I really don't think that's the problem because iperf says I can get a solid 200 Mb/s throughput from my file server. However, my database has all the video library sources as SMB shares, and no matter what I do to the cache settings, they will not transfer faster than 30 Mb/s or so. This basically means 4K videos are not playable on the device,

Mounting an NFS share manually on the box seems to work much better even with no custom cache settings, but this is not a solution because of the shared database and the fact that the DSPlayer version of Kodi (which I use on another device) doesn't support playback from NFS shares. It's also still not quite perfect, although it might be given tweaked cache settings.

Really not sure how to solve this aside from having a long cable going upstairs, which is not going to fly. Even if I could figure out how to manually mount SMB shares on the Minix U9-H, I'd still have to use the same path on all the devices (since they share the same database) and "/storage/..." is not a valid path for my Windows boxes.

Spent all day playing with this and am just stumped. It feels like it just isn't possible to stream 4K over WiFi, despite the fact that it has a consistent network speed of over 200 Mb/s.

EDIT: What about UPnP? I wonder if that'd work, but right now I'm pretty burned out on this project. :/

Bit of an update: I've currently got the box in my living room playing UHD HDR stuff over Ethernet perfectly, even using SMB. I think for when it goes upstairs I'll try a powerline adapter since that should be more stable than WiFi, but for now I'm happy. Playing Planet Earth II on my OLED55B7V with this nifty little box is just fantastic. :)

Hmm interesting. The file I tried doesn't seem to have that specific issue:

Code
    Color range                              : Limited
    Color primaries                          : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant

I'm using an LG OLED55B7V so not a Sony. I have a 1080p 8-bit version too which also looks kinda dull on my PC so maybe it's just the way the film is mastered. I'll see if I can find a more obvious HDR sample clip to try.

I've noticed that I get BTB and WTW when using this Minix U9-H box, whereas my HTPC is outputting RGB so it doesn't have that information. I've adjusted the TV's brightness and contrast accordingly, but I've read in a few places about setting the output to 444 10-bit - how do I do this? I know there's the "auto" switch that is currently deemed unreliable...is there another way? Basically I tried setting that toggle to enabled and playing an HDR film and it looked washed out (TV said it was HDR though). HDR content via the TV's services (Amazon, Netflix, etc.) look great.

OK so a clean install fixed the random crashes but I have a new issue now: I get no audio when playing files with anything above 2.0 audio. I've set the audio device to HDMI since that's what I'm using and it's plugged straight into my receiver. If I set it to passthrough, then it works fine, but that isn't an option since I want to use the box without the receiver. Do I have to do anything special to get 5.1 audio working? I've tried files with Dolby HD, DTS-HD MA and plain AC3, all of them have no audio. Files with 2.0 AC3 work fine.

Once this is done and you're using internal memory for data, how do I then get a "fresh" system back? Surely reflashing the SD card won't work because all of the data is now on the internal partition? Which directories do I need to delete?

EDIT: Solution is to do this extra step:

Code
    systemctl stop kodi
    mkdir -p /tmp/data
    mount -o rw /dev/data /tmp/data
    rm -rf /tmp/data/.kodi
    cp -pPRv /storage/. /tmp/data
    umount /tmp/data

Interesting to see the reports of crashes with this version. I am still using LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4-Subtitles-ff and get constant crashes whilst in the Kodi menus. It hasn't ever crashed during video playback but crashes within about 10 seconds of going to Movies in the main menu, and usually also returning to the top-level main menu after doing anything else. Has anyone else seen this?

I've attached all of the crash logs but can't see anything that immediately jumps out as a cause. :/

Crash Logs [2018-05].zip

At first I assumed it was one of the PVR add-ons I'd installed but disabling those doesn't help!

No, the problem is the crappy SMB protocol. Your tv dose a better job than your box ;)

Buy a USB gigabit for box.

I have run into this problem on my Minix U9-H also. I am using WiFi because I have no Ethernet ports in the bedroom, but I really don't think that's the problem because iperf says I can get a solid 200 Mb/s throughput from my file server. However, my database has all the video library sources as SMB shares, and no matter what I do to the cache settings, they will not transfer faster than 30 Mb/s or so. This basically means 4K videos are not playable on the device,

Mounting an NFS share manually on the box seems to work much better even with no custom cache settings, but this is not a solution because of the shared database and the fact that the DSPlayer version of Kodi (which I use on another device) doesn't support playback from NFS shares. It's also still not quite perfect, although it might be given tweaked cache settings.

Really not sure how to solve this aside from having a long cable going upstairs, which is not going to fly. Even if I could figure out how to manually mount SMB shares on the Minix U9-H, I'd still have to use the same path on all the devices (since they share the same database) and "/storage/..." is not a valid path for my Windows boxes.

Spent all day playing with this and am just stumped. It feels like it just isn't possible to stream 4K over WiFi, despite the fact that it has a consistent network speed of over 200 Mb/s.

EDIT: What about UPnP? I wonder if that'd work, but right now I'm pretty burned out on this project. :/

Just did another fresh install, this time using the LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4-Subtitles-ff build. Didn't even change the default hostname this time, I literally just pressed Next, then connected to WiFi, noted the IP (I fixed it on the router just in case this time), then enabled SSH (the loading icon appeared for 2-3 seconds then the switch appeared "on"), then pressed Next to finish the wizard.

It now seems to work. The three changes this term were:

- Different build

- Fixed IP on router rather than DHCP

- Using default hostname instead of a custom one

connection refused would indicate that the ssh daemon was either not running or you have the wrong port but in this case it will be the former, ensure you have it enabled

It is enabled, according to the GUI anyway. Seems like it's just broken. I could try with wired but ultimately this box will be on WiFi so it'd only be a debugging exercise.

Try a fresh installation and wired network connect

I cannot "try a fresh installation" because that's what this is. I have literally done the bare minimum to get to enabling SSH access.

I want to try the new LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4-Subtitles-ff build anyway so will see if SSH works with that installed.

What version have you installed? You gave no indication.

Latest adamg builds have a firewall that is on by default (in LE settings), try turning it off.

This one. I did have a quick look for some kind of firewall setting and didn't see anything but I'll try again I guess. Every post I can find on the internet about it doesn't mention such a thing, they all just say all you need to do is enable SSH in the menu (or during setup).

Code
    ssh -vvv 192.168.1.133
    OpenSSH_7.2p2 Ubuntu-4ubuntu2.4, OpenSSL 1.0.2g  1 Mar 2016
    debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 19: Applying options for *
    debug2: resolving "192.168.1.133" port 22
    debug2: ssh_connect_direct: needpriv 0
    debug1: Connecting to 192.168.1.133 [192.168.1.133] port 22.
    debug1: connect to address 192.168.1.133 port 22: Connection refused
    ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.133 port 22: Connection refused

Like I said, it's as if the box isn't running an SSH server at all or is behind a firewall or something. Ping works fine. :|

I tried installing the System Tools add-on to see if I could get a local terminal to try to debug this further but the add-on does nothing when I open it. I guess this build of LibreELEC (8.2.2.3 for S912) doesn't include support for such things.

I have a fresh install of LibreELEC for my Minix U9-H. I chose a hostname, enabled SSH, then connected to WiFi. I have done nothing else. I then checked the IP address of the unit via the GUI and tried to connect via SSH. Doesn't work. I've tried from multiple machines (both Windows and Linux) and all of them fail for the same reason, despite them being able to SSH to other machines fine. I even tried rebooting the Minix box.

It's as if the SSH server isn't running or the port is blocked on the unit? I'm sure this is meant to work out of the box so I'm a bit confused.