Posts by Digidog

UPDATE 05 19 19 :

I have installed LE9 on my KodiBuntu machine (also ION but core 2 duo) and there is no remote lag happening as with the AT3N7A-I machine. Ergo, it must be board specific. Now to try to hunt down why..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello All ! I am fishing to see if anyone else has seen similar behaviour.

Clean install of LE9 on 64GB SSD. ASUS AT3N7A-I board 4GB RAM. Formosa Industrial Computing, Inc. Infrared Receiver [IR605A/Q] and RC6 MCE Remote (bundled).

The Behaviour : Remote functions perfectly as long as I keep pressing buttons and navigating menus, etc. If left alone (leaving the room) or running any playback for 10 minutes or so, the remote becomes lagy (by up to 2 seconds at times) and acts as if buttons were double pressed and does not come back to normal until reboot.

Now my first thought was that the usb port goes to sleep or something. Connecting a wireless multimedia keyboard/mouse combo does not recreate the issue.

I first noticed this happening with a previous LE release, but gave up and just used a keyboard hoping it would get straightened out in LE9. No such luck.

I can post logs but thought I might just ask around first to see if anyone has seen this before.

Interestingly enough, when running this setup "live" from the LE9 installer media the issue does not seem to occur.

This remote also works as expected on another ION board running KodiBuntu (don't laugh please :p ) that I update regularly via SSH per KODI wiki and is current, and a Windows 7 machine.

HiassofT My apologies, I totally forgot that I had asked about same issue here a year ago. Life moves fast and this machine just came back into my possession. However it is LE9 and without LIRC. (AFAIK)

Libreelec registers multiple key presses for each button on my IR remote (8.2.1 & 8.2.2)

So all I need to back up is a folder called userdata?

Yes but i think you might have to install your favorite skins and addons BEFORE overwriting the newly created userdata folder with the one you backed up. Once you push your backup and reboot I am thinking all will be as it should.. please note I am not a developer, I do not pretend to be accomplished in this area. But logic would dictate it should work. Its much like backing up and restoring a windows user profile (which I do know about hehe)

If I put the SD card into my Windows10 computer, I can see two partitions, one of which Windows can read (which I think makes sense, as the other partition is linux right?). The files seem intact in the part I can read. I know I could probably reformat and start over, but I had gotten all my plugins *just so*, and it took me a long time to get it all the way I wanted. I'm hoping there's a way I can just replace the libreelec system, perhaps with the newer 8.2, and get it working while keeping my data intact. Might be a long shot, but hoping it is worth trying. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Try running a Linux Distro in live mode from a usb key. It will not harm your Windows install and it will allow you to access the other partition on your SD card and hopefully save your userdata folder so you can stuff it back later using the same method or with Windows over the network through LibreELEC's samba share of said folder(s). ... With a Win 10 machine you might need to find a Linux Distro that supports EUFI Booting.

kszaq

What did you do to the HD18Q image to create the m201d image so it works with less RAM ?

I ask because I am making a guess that it is hard coded to not look beyond 512MB and actually reports 384MB.

If I could undo that hardcoding in the m201d image I could take advantage of the power on/off working and still see all of my RAM. Does that make any sense to you ? Do you have any suggestions bearing in mind I am not skilled or experienced enough to build my own image, but could probably SSH in and modify a file or two.

As per above post #573, I have an OTT MXQ s805 "S805-V1.2 20150520" on solder side and "HD18Q_V1.2 2015/05/09" on component side.

Hello all,

I know it is late in the game for these s805 boxes but they are new to me.

I have been happily using kodibuntu on a small PC. Last week in my local Value Village (read: donated and resold store) I found an OTT MXQ in its original package and still in its original wrappings . I suspect somebody got it for Xmas or something and never used it. Either way $40 CDN and I was happily trotting home to try out my new toy..

After deleting all the streaming crap that came preinstalled (wow time consuming !) butchering Kodi, I found it lackluster and naturally a few releases behind. So I started searching and reading and reading some more.

Multiple revisions with major board changes ? Clones ? At least 6 manufacturers ?? Holy crap !

Not wanting to take it apart yet, I installed and ran CPU-Z and a few other tools. Each one indicated a different amount of RAM, but all mentioned m201. I decided that I had bought the 512MB version and proceeded to download LibreELEC-S805.arm-8.2-8.2.3.1-m201d.img and stuff it on an SD card as per instructions.

Yay ! it works like a charm [kszaq is a Wizard !]

A little configuration later and I have it set up just like the PC in my living-room (happy camper).

Now, still reading and searching I find a thread on freaktab that has MXQ s805 owners sharing photos of their hardware and roms/images that work or don't.

4 screws later and I see that I have "S805-V1.2 20150520" on one side and "HD18Q_V1.2 2015/05/09" on the other. There IS a heatsink on the CPU and but I cannot read the Wi-Fi module numbers..

WTF ?? 05 20 on one side and 05 09 on the other ?? How do I know which board ?

For giggles I download LibreELEC-S805.arm-8.2-8.2.3.1-HD18Q.img and try it on an SD card.

Damned if it doesn't boot up and run just fine as well ! !

Wi-Fi works well with both images, things are just as snappy on both. The only differences I see are the reported RAM values and I cannot power back on with the HD18Q image while I could with the m201d image. I wonder what makes the power on difference ?

I am sad to read that there will only be a Kodi bump and not further development on these boxes.

kszaq Thank you for all the time and effort you have put into these images and helping people get the most out of their boxes.

Long Story Short :

OTT MXQ s805 "S805-V1.2 20150520" on one side and "HD18Q_V1.2 2015/05/09" on the other with heatsink.

- LibreELEC-S805.arm-8.2-8.2.3.1-m201d.img works form SD card , wi-fi, remote, power on/off all perfect.

- LibreELEC-S805.arm-8.2-8.2.3.1-HD18Q.img works from SD card, wi-fi & remote perfect, Power off only.

Hello HiassofT and Schreibwaise,

It is a Mediagate Rc126 (MG-IR01BK)...This One

The LED indicator does light to show signal being received while the lag happens.

To use lircd instead of in-kernel decoding you just need to create an empty .config/rc_maps.cfg file, and enable lirc in LE settings, as outlined in the wiki.

It's odd though that your remote suddenly starts lagging. My first guess is that kodi is busy and can't immediately process the remote events. I've been experiencing this on my RPi1 when kodi is updating addons after startup - top shows kodi.bin using all CPU resources and after a minute or so when addons have been updated things (CPU usage and remote response) are back to normal.

To narrow things down run the following command when your remote started lagging:

Code
    irw /run/lirc/lircd

This let's you monitor the remote events as they reach kodi. Press a few buttons on the remote and check how long it takes until they show up. If they show up almost immediately here but navigation in kodi is delayed it must be something in kodi. If they are delayed here as well, it's something in the kerne/lirc area.

I will try this when I get a few minutes and let you know what happens.

Thank you for the reply.

Regards,

Ian

Hello, What if a person wanted to forgo the in kernel decoding and use lirc only for (x64 with usbdongle/mce rc6) remote ?

Scenario:

- Fresh install of LE 8.2.3, x86 Asus Atom/Ion board, USB dongle MCE RC-6 remote.

- Boot system, remote works well, seems very responsive, no lag or multi press. [Yay!]

- Watch video from local source for 10 or 15 mins, remote bogs down (0.5 - 2 second delay from keypress to action) [Boo!]

- Stop video remote bog remains until reboot. [Also Boo!]

Theory:

No.1 - The background software to convert linux kernel events to lirc events for KODI gets "distracted" or something.

No.2 - My poor little Atom board just isn't up to muster (although RAM/CPU usage suggests all is good)

No.3 - The infrared_remotes wiki gives me my answer but I cannot see the forest for the trees.

Hoping for :

- Some sort of modprobe command or other black magic to stop the in kernel and the translator and simply re-enable lirc so I can take this back to my G.F's house and look like i knew what I was doing.

I also hope I provided a small amount of humor.

Regards,

Ian